Starting bowling after total knee replacement

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

boomer
THS Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 6 3/16 x 1/2 up
Speed: 13.8 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 230
Preferred Company: Storm (it smells pretty)

Starting bowling after total knee replacement

Post by boomer »

It's been 9 weeks. I Am Itching . . . LOL

So, I got my left knee replaced the Tuesday before Thanksgiving. Therapy has been . . . progressive. I've attained the flexibility goals (fully straight, or 0 degrees, and 120 degrees of bend) - the straight was my problem and it took me a bit to get there, but I got it. Now it's strength. I am pretty fully mobile - I do use my cane but mostly to whack kids and millennials (ROFL - obviously a joke) I don't actually need it. It does help on long walks across campus when I can't get one of the golf carts. . . that does get tiring. But for the most part, it's just stiff.

My league is Monday, and my Son-in-law has been subbing for me. But I'm itching. . . I've gone to practice with my wife and S-i-l on Tuesdays, mostly to help her, and while it's rewarding to see her getting more precise (we've typically worked on spare shooting - take a 6s die, 1=7, 2=4, 3=2, 4=3, 5=6, 7=10) and you get a point per hit. It's fun. :)

Tonight (we skipped last night, but we get free practice Tues and Wed) I plan to bowl.

My plan is a 1 or 2 step approach - very little stress on the knee and mostly just to work on rolling the ball off my hand, re-attaining the feel of ball delivery.

If I feel ANY pain at all, it's done. I'm not going to really risk much. . . but I wanna bowl! :)
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Re: Starting bowling after total knee replacement

Post by MegaMav »

Has a doctor or orthopedist cleared you for this?
Pinbuster

Post by Pinbuster »

I had a teammate that had a knee replaced in mid October.

After the first of the year he started bowling some practice and one league. Thru the month of January he built up to bowling 5 leagues a week.

He currently is not having any problems. All was done with the consent of his surgeon and physical therapist.

I've also seen a couple other guys who after 3 months were playing golf with new knees.

All of these guys are in their mid to late 60's.

So I believe if you have been following the recommended rehab and have a release from your doctors you should be able to start.
boomer

Post by boomer »

Physical Therapists know and have actually adjusted my program to fit. She actually grinned and said it was going to be fun working with someone who actually isn't really limited in range of motion (aside from the knee) like many of the others in the program. :)

I did just a one-step - and my problem had NOTHING to do with my knee. The knee was stiff (go figure) and the leg is weak (go figure) so it's not the "true" one-step (all weight on left leg, good low bend, right toe touching, etc) - can't do that. But I COULD get there, get some knee bend, right foot behind and to the left still supporting and have some balance.

My problem is that I've lost about 40-50 pounds so my fingers DO NOT FIT! LOL I put two pieces of hada tape on the back of each finger and on my thumb and it was still way loose! Go figure, eh? So need new inserts and a new ITB.

But it felt good to be out there with my wife and S-i-L. Didn't really worry about the score much - just roll the ball out and have it come back.

(and no - not asking for sympathy or much advice or anything - just thought a little journal on it and on progress and successes might be enjoyed and might be encouraging to anyone going through similar. :) )
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Boomer, best of luck on your recovery and return to the sport.
Hope you never lose the fire!

Congratulations on the weight loss.

Take care.

Thanks to those sharing their experiences regarding comebacks and caveats about injuries, surgery etc. Very encouraging for folks!
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
boomer

Post by boomer »

Went bowling last night. New inserts. Proper thumb insert. All set.

Very slow approach - crossover step, short second and third step, very deliberate and easy slide. Heck, I ended up 2-3' short of the line! LOL That's a first!

no pain in my knee. YIPPEE!
Fingertips? Complaining! LOL
Shoulder and elbow? Yeah - a bit of complaint. They've been holding me UP (cane) for the past 4 months and now something is hanging on them? have to get used to that.

But - bowled well. Steady 13.5mph at the rangefinders. Posting the shot for at least 2 seconds then I let off (instead of forcing balance) and trying to let the ball pull ME through the swing. Felt good. (also didn't miss a 10-pin! Sweet! :) )

Practicing again tonight. Not really worrying about the score, just the shot.

Learning things - SLOW. Deliberate steps. VERY straight slide - couple of times was slightly off and panicked although it didn't hurt. Don't rush things AT ALL.
Pinbuster

Post by Pinbuster »

Sounds good. You will get back fully.
boomer

Post by boomer »

So I started league last night. I walked in, talked with one of the high avg bowlers saying that I'm planning to lay back, take it easy, not push it, and be satisfied with a 150 avg. My wife talked with the league officials and they agreed to let me re-establish (instead of starting with my old 12hdcp) . . .

First game - a bit scattered. First two frames were open, couple of strikes, high hit left 3-6 which I covered, then couple of splits. Then I started talking to myself. . . out loud. . . on the lane. :) Literally. "Set up, nice. OK, now, can I hit 11. Give me an 11, please. It's OK to be late. BE late! Ready, here we go. . . 1. . .2 . . .3.slidextendpost" Strike, strike, spare, strike for 168. I'm HAPPY with that. Feels like what I should be doing on the first real game back from knee replacement. No pain.

Second game starts with a touch high so left 4 pin, covered. Turkey - all solid. 3-6-9-10, covered. Sheet. 266. Tha He . . .? The only frame that I did anything wrong was that 3-6-9-10 where I didn't stay "late" . . .

Third game starts with 3-4-6-7-10, pick the 6 out of the 3-6-10. Really? LOL. OK, double, slightly high leave the 4, pick that up. Sheet. 255. Seriously? What knee??? 689 series, with a 168 to start.

I do NOT think I'll keep this up. ROFL - holy crap. NO friggin way!

BUT - my ball speed is at least 1.5mph down at the rangefinder (I haven't calculated it off my hand - but it is definitely slower) and I'm fine with that. Rotation is still really good (haven't measured it) and the ball is coming in quite well.

I'm using a very (VERY) measured approach and talking, out loud, to myself. It's slow, and I finish (right now) well behind the foul line (and I'm fine with that for now - I figure that I will extend that as I continue to progress)

But most of all, I'm actually rolling the ball off my hand better. I'm not trying . . . and it's really showing.

But that's the WORST re-establish evening EVAR! ROFL. I don't expect to continue - we'll see. Just have to laugh!
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Your dedication and performance are inspirational. Continued success ...

May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John