revs

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

CCRider
THS Average: 190
Positive Axis Point: Left Hand Bowler 4 1/2 left 3/4 up
Speed: 13mph-14mph monitor
Rev Rate: 275
Axis Tilt: 27
Axis Rotation: 65
Light Oil Ball: BTU-light oil THS- heat seems to move the shot
Preferred Company: Radical-to high tect

revs

Post by CCRider »

How do I know if my rev rates are some what correct if I'm throwing a ball that bites the
lane and slows the ball down. What can I rely on to give me a close evolution of my rev rate?

ccrider
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: revs

Post by bowl1820 »

CCRider wrote: February 5th, 2020, 3:29 am How do I know if my rev rates are some what correct if I'm throwing a ball that bites the
lane and slows the ball down. What can I rely on to give me a close evolution of my rev rate?

ccrider
There are a few different DIY methods of measuring Rev rate and they are all based mostly on putting a tracer tape on the ball and using a video camera to film it and then counting how many revolutions there are then doing some calculation.

Most of these DIY methods are measuring the rev's in the first 15 feet of the lane, which takes most of the lane or the ball slowing down out of it. (Though the Storm video below uses the entire)

Here's from when I did a comparison of the methods:
Using a test video.

I've tried counting the rotations as the ball goes down the lane. (gave a result that was 450 rpm.)

Example (this video is from Storm to use with their Matchmaker app page.)
rpm conversion chart.jpg

I then tried the USBC method that uses counting 10 frames & how many hours the ball turns (1 rotation = 12 hours). (This method resulted in 420 rpm)
http://bowl.com/Source/Source_Home/What ... Rev_Rate_/

I then tried the ITRC rev calculator, where you count how many frames it take for 1 revolution. (This method resulted in 450 rpm.)
http://www.bowlingitrc.com/tools/

I then tried the bowlingchat wiki method. (This method resulted in a 427 rpm.)
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... e_Rev_Rate

So the 4 methods produced result's that ranged from 420 to 450 rpm's for the same video.

Whichever method is easier for you to do, produces about the same results as long as your as accurate as you can be in your timing and counting. So Check your rpms over several shots, average them and you'll be close enough.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
snick
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
THS Average: 196
Sport Average: 180
Positive Axis Point: 5.5625" x .625 up
Speed: 17 off hand
Rev Rate: 360
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Physix
Medium Oil Ball: Storm Streetfight
Light Oil Ball: Rotogrip Hustle Pearl
Preferred Company: Rotogrip

Post by snick »

IMO, rev-rate and ball-speed should be quantified in a domain that is relevant to a 60ft lane over a 2-3 second time span.
ie: feet-per-second.

RPM and MPH are not only different domains, they are both grossly overboard with regard to distance and time.
Benchmark Bowling Pro Shop
Byron

RH
PAP: 5.5625 x .625 up
REVRATE: 360
SPEED: 17mph at release
AR: 55º
AT: 17º
krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Post by krava »

this might not be the recommended method but if you want a general idea of it. Watch the radical throwbot videos. They throw the ball with different speeds. See which one matches the way your ball goes down the lane as close as you can and that gives you a "quick and dirty" way of figuring where you are approximately at.
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

krava wrote: February 20th, 2020, 8:22 pm this might not be the recommended method but if you want a general idea of it. Watch the radical throwbot videos. They throw the ball with different speeds. See which one matches the way your ball goes down the lane as close as you can and that gives you a "quick and dirty" way of figuring where you are approximately at.
Yes, that's not recommended it's wildly inaccurate. The majority of players over estimate their rev rate when they are just looking at their ball as it roll down the lane..
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
VLe
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
Speed: 17
Rev Rate: 320
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 55
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by VLe »

Never use your eyes to determine RPM's. It only messes things up.

I made a little cheat sheet to help calculating revs on the lane faster. This is the way that I use for calculating the rev's using my phone or tablet:

This works accurately on rev's up to ~450rpm. Using a slow motion (120fps) mode is recommended but not necessary. Just take several shots and see the average value. Attached is the .pdf version of the same table.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Right Handed
PAP 4 3/8" x 0"
60* rotation
17.5* tilt
320-360 rev rate
17mph off hand