If you could buy a bowling alley...

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

PIJoe
THS Average: 219
Sport Average: 205
Positive Axis Point: 5-1/8" + 1/4"
Speed: 17 mph Foul/14.5 mph Pins
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Physix, Crux Prime, UFO, The Fix
Medium Oil Ball: Idol Pro, Idol Pearl, Phaze II Hustle Ink, Pro-Motion
Light Oil Ball: Wild Streak, Black Hammer, Purple Hammer
Preferred Company: Storm/Roto

If you could buy a bowling alley...

Post by PIJoe »

...that is suffering in a decently sized rural town, that needs fresh, new ideas to turn it around, what would you like to see, especially with/for a younger generation, say 18-30? Was in a center laboring the other day, and just kind of bored. I mean, the lanes are fine, but it's the same boring deals- "on Thursdays, come in for 2 games and shoes for $5.00" or the ever popular "red pin special" where you can win a free game with a strike if the headpin sets red. You know the usual 30 year old ideas. Bowing snack bar food, uninspiring specials, just nothing that makes you really "like" it.

I know there are plenty of places like Bowlero picking up, and spending big $$ on renovations, but what can these smaller places do- the 12-24 lane centers in smaller towns- do to up their business? Have you seen anything cool lately, or even older ideas that are still relevant, things that you'd do for less $$ than a massive renovation? What does your smaller dream center have or do?

Just curious for a little different convo...
Normal Release
PAP: 5-1/8" + 1/4"
RPM: 340
Axis Rotation: 45*
Axis Tilt: 12*
Speed: 17 mph at line

Crux Prime, Physix, UFO, Phaze II, Pro-Motion, Idol Pro, Idol Pearl, Wild Streak, Blackout Pearl, Blue Dot, The Fix, Katana
GrumpyCatFace
Preferred Company: Pyramid

Re: If you could buy a bowling alley...

Post by GrumpyCatFace »

My biggest suggestion would be to have an actual restaurant/cafe on the premises. A ‘hangout’ that draws people in for the food. Nobody is putting up with crappy food/beer any more, and few want to host a birthday party on the settee.

Have a few legit pool tables, if you have the space, or a small arcade to distract the kids while parents bowl.

As for the center, you need to cater to league players, not open bowlers. Have your lanes oiled daily - all of them. Have a pair at the end of the alley just for sport patterns.

Keep your machinery clean, don’t allow belt marks or scratches on the balls.

One center nearby has a bunch of old urethane and reactive balls donated by the players over the years. It gives players a chance to see the difference from house balls. Don’t have ‘only’ the plastic generic stuff on your racks.

Cleanliness is obviously a must. Even for t he house balls. Get them all wiped off once a quarter or so.

Have a decent looking house shoe that people want to put on their feet. Not the greasy half-tattered kind.
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

Down here in Muskegon Mi the smaller houses are closing. They just can't seem to compete with the 50 lane houses. The one that is staying alive, 12 lanes, has only league bowling and Saturday tournaments. It is being kept alive by the restaurant/bar and patrons 40+ years old. The kids/millennials frequent the 50 lane house that has 2 bars, Kraft beers, no tap, moonlight/cosmic bowling, billiard room (6-9' tables), arcade games and a pretty good snack bar.

The one idea I thought of is similar to what golf courses do is club memberships. A yearly fee that gives unlimited green fees or lane rental in this case.
Once membership is paid it lowers the cost of league bowling for the members because the linage is already paid. I would frequent the bowling alley more if I could do something like this.
These days I spend way more time at the golf course working on my golf game than I do bowling because I have my golf membership and want to get my money's worth.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
GrumpyCatFace

Post by GrumpyCatFace »

Oh definitely I love the idea of an annual membership. But League bowlers should always bowl free anyway, imo.
PIJoe

Post by PIJoe »

I was looking through some bowling center websites earlier today, and did notice some that have a "buy a block" of games. One was 100 games for $70, and honestly, that's a great deal for those who practice a lot or bowl fairly regularly with their family. I like that idea, along with the membership idea. There is a center up here that does that, you pay a yearly membership fee, you practice free and your league weekly rate drops from $16 to $3.00 and that is a great idea too.

As for the food, I agree- the old snack bar burger shack idea just doesn't cut it anymore. Sure, there are people who just want the greasy food that the alleys were known for, but honestly- to make those 5 people happy, 20 people don't come in. Even having a small but well-executed fresh menu is a better idea if you don't have a full restaurant. Forget mozzarella sticks and plain fries. People want more.

There have to be options- the arcade idea is always a money maker if done right. A few places up in Traverse City have Chuck E Cheese type game rooms, and I know that they make more off that 10% of the building than they do with the rest of the bowling alley.

Good thoughts!

What about probably the most important thing- youth bowling? Lots of places don't put nearly the effort into that as needed, and they alienate their future clientele... Anyone have cool youth programs?
Normal Release

Crux Prime, Physix, UFO, Phaze II, Pro-Motion, Idol Pro, Idol Pearl, Wild Streak, Blackout Pearl, Blue Dot, The Fix, Katana
GrumpyCatFace

Post by GrumpyCatFace »

The local place has a free kids league on saturdays. That’s been a mainstay for a while now.

Another one gets kids into a regional traveling league, which gives them an opportunity to experience team play with coaching.
PIJoe

Post by PIJoe »

Regional traveling is fun as a kid- I did that in the Detroit area back in the 80's with the Sunday Youth Classic. We traveled all over greater Detroit, and bowled a ton of different places, but we didn't have coaches. That would have been invaluable as we were all learning to bowl transitions and just starting to see synthetic lanes.

Curious- what are they deeming free for the kids- lineage only? Shoes? Refreshments? Just curious... I'm sure they make good $$ on food and drinks...
Normal Release

GrumpyCatFace

Post by GrumpyCatFace »

PIJoe wrote: January 28th, 2020, 5:31 am Regional traveling is fun as a kid- I did that in the Detroit area back in the 80's with the Sunday Youth Classic. We traveled all over greater Detroit, and bowled a ton of different places, but we didn't have coaches. That would have been invaluable as we were all learning to bowl transitions and just starting to see synthetic lanes.

Curious- what are they deeming free for the kids- lineage only? Shoes? Refreshments? Just curious... I'm sure they make good $$ on food and drinks...
Free bowling and shoes. The bar food and sodas are rather pricey, but it’s a cheap day to get the kids out of the house.
JimH
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by JimH »

GrumpyCatFace wrote: January 26th, 2020, 4:43 pm Oh definitely I love the idea of an annual membership. But League bowlers should always bowl free anyway, imo.
Some Professional Bowlers get free practice in some bowling centers. Some Professional Pool/Billiards/Snooker players also get free practice. This is done to get aspiring players to spend more time (and money) in the center. The Professional sometimes will give free lessons or advice. I haave never come across free bowling for amateur league plaayers.
boomer
THS Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 6 3/16 x 1/2 up
Speed: 13.8 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 230
Preferred Company: Storm (it smells pretty)

Post by boomer »

One idea - some approachable tournaments as well as some higher-end tournaments.

Like a valentine's no-tap for couples vs. a sport-shot tournament - like alternate from one to the other: easier, then tough, then back and forth.
GrumpyCatFace

Post by GrumpyCatFace »

JimH wrote: January 28th, 2020, 3:15 pm Some Professional Bowlers get free practice in some bowling centers. Some Professional Pool/Billiards/Snooker players also get free practice. This is done to get aspiring players to spend more time (and money) in the center. The Professional sometimes will give free lessons or advice. I haave never come across free bowling for amateur league plaayers.
It’s free all summer for league players at one of the local places. Sometimes winter as well, but last year it was $3/game.
JimH
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by JimH »

Interesting. I have never come across that before.
PIJoe

Post by PIJoe »

Yeah, I don't know if they could justify free open bowling for all league players, like I said- the membership up here locally includes a league discount and free open bowling, but I think it was about $425/year, so the money is made back unless you're a serious practicer.

Pool I can see- especially if the tables are in the bar- you'll more than recoup that from a few drinks, but the caveat is the people that would come in to bowl free and drink water lol!

I do like the Valentines Day idea, @boomer!
Normal Release