Bowling games price increase

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Bowling games price increase

Post by krava »

If you go here: https://bowlholidaylanes.com/Pricing that is what it was before and still there.

I went in there today and was shocked. I didn't find out that I could do an hour of bowling for $7.50 for league bowlers until about 3 days ago. I got to use it one time. I went in there today and it went from $7.50 up to $16 and hour. The people that open bowl for $16 an hour went up to $22 an hour. League bowlers games went up from $2.00 to $2.50 a game. At the beginning of the year, they took out 4 lanes to make an arcade. Then in the middle of the year they took out regular seats and put couches in the first 7 lanes and then made those VIP lanes. Then not even 2 weeks ago, they took out more of the bowling alley and made the first 13 lanes VIP lanes. To get a VIP lane you have to pay an extra $10 on top of whatever you want to do. If you bowl one game it is 1 game plus the $10. I quit Monday's night because the price to bowl went up to $22 from $19 or $20. I was told the owner did this because she wants to "modernize" the bowling alley which was made in 1960. I don't see anything wrong with the place the way it is and not sure what all can be done to it.

In comparison, Barksdale air force base has $1.50 games on Sunday, $10 all you can bowl for 2 hours Friday and Sat night. (which they put you in the dark). I don't know the price of normal games there though.

I know prices have to go up sometimes but I think the price hike is pretty steep for sure. Games going up 25% and Hourly rate going up over 100% for league bowlers. Anyone have anything similar happen?
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Re: Bowling games price increase

Post by 44boyd »

You’ve stated how you’ve waited almost 2 hours for a lane, so you’ll see how that goes. Or you can go bowl on base, just not as many league options
Stacy
JimH
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by JimH »

It is not fair to compare a non commercial operation such as bowling at a government subsidised air force base to a business. Most bowling centers are run as businesses and if there is not sufficient income the business will close. Many places have removed lanes because there is more income per square foot of floor space from such activities as arcade games or pool tables.

Removing 2 lanes will make room for at least 6 pool tables which will produce more income per hour han bowling.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
JimH
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by JimH »

The Bowler's Journal article affirms the fact that the bowling industry is a business. The old style family run bowling business is disappearing with very few remaining. Most bowling centers are owned by corporations and are members of a chain of bowling centers. The future for small non chain bowling centers seems to casual or leasure bowling not league or tournament bowling.
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Post by MegaMav »

Talk to the manager about buying games for the month/year/season up front at a discount.
20, 50, 100? That will drive the price down.
Bowling centers can be negotiable.
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

krava wrote: January 2nd, 2020, 9:10 am If you go here: https://bowlholidaylanes.com/Pricing that is what it was before and still there.
I went in there today and was shocked. I didn't find out that I could do an hour of bowling for $7.50 for league bowlers until about 3 days ago. I got to use it one time.
Amazing all the time you've bowled there, You never knew or heard that league bowlers got a special price on open bowling until 3 days ago.
I went in there today and it went from $7.50 up to $16 and hour.
That does sound like a awful big jump for the league hr. rate, I might would go back and check to see if thats right. Given that reg. hr open bowling only went up $5, Leag. hr. open bowling should have been about $12.50
The people that open bowl for $16 an hour went up to $22 an hour.
Ok a $5 increase on a price that probably hasn't changed in a long time (Using the internet wayback machine the prices appear to be the same at least 2 years ago) isn't that bad
League bowlers games went up from $2.00 to $2.50 a game.
Ok .50 cent increase
At the beginning of the year, they took out 4 lanes to make an arcade. Then in the middle of the year they took out regular seats and put couches in the first 7 lanes and then made those VIP lanes. Then not even 2 weeks ago, they took out more of the bowling alley and made the first 13 lanes VIP lanes. To get a VIP lane you have to pay an extra $10 on top of whatever you want to do. If you bowl one game it is 1 game plus the $10.
Looking at the pricing from 2 years ago, They had the same VIP pricing then. So they just added more lanes to the VIP.
I quit Monday's night because the price to bowl went up to $22 from $19 or $20. I was told the owner did this because she wants to "modernize" the bowling alley which was made in 1960.
Well if it hasn't been updated in 60 years I'd say it's about do.
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

MegaMav wrote: January 2nd, 2020, 6:34 pm Talk to the manager about buying games for the month/year/season up front at a discount.
20, 50, 100? That will drive the price down.
Bowling centers can be negotiable.
Yeah that's like here, we have the Players pass which you can get a month of Unlimited practice for about $25.
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Post by krava »

I will try the lot of games package deal and see what they say. There is suppose to be a $10 special during off hours such as daytime but I have to check. The airforce base went up $2 as well.
ICURNVS
THS Average: 220
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2 -> 3/4 up
Speed: 16.8 Monitor
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 11
Axis Rotation: 30
Heavy Oil Ball: Zen Master
Medium Oil Ball: Power Torq / UFO Alert / Honey Badger Revival
Light Oil Ball: Marvel Pearl / Stellar
Preferred Company: What ever is on Sale

Post by ICURNVS »

While were on the subject....

What is everyone paying for lineage in leagues? In my local area (akron/canton OH) the non chain houses (3) vary from 9.50 - 11.5 the AMF house is 13.5

From what i understand if you move up into the Cleveland general area it varies from 11.50 - 13.50 non chain.
** UPDATED STATS AS OF 6-06-19 **
Right Hand
PAP 4 1/2-> 3/4 up
ROTATION 20 - 30
TILT 11.5*
MPH 14.5-15.2 MONITOR
RPM 350-375
RIP Visionary Bowling Products.....
PIJoe
THS Average: 219
Sport Average: 205
Positive Axis Point: 5-1/8" + 1/4"
Speed: 17 mph Foul/14.5 mph Pins
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Physix, Crux Prime, UFO, The Fix
Medium Oil Ball: Idol Pro, Idol Pearl, Phaze II Hustle Ink, Pro-Motion
Light Oil Ball: Wild Streak, Black Hammer, Purple Hammer
Preferred Company: Storm/Roto

Post by PIJoe »

Well, honestly, if she needs to take action to modernize to pull in more business, she has to pay for the modernization. Hopefully her gamble pays off. Times change, and just because YOU see no reason to change anything, LOTS of people not currently spending money there may strongly disagree.
Normal Release
PAP: 5-1/8" + 1/4"
RPM: 340
Axis Rotation: 45*
Axis Tilt: 12*
Speed: 17 mph at line

Crux Prime, Physix, UFO, Phaze II, Pro-Motion, Idol Pro, Idol Pearl, Wild Streak, Blackout Pearl, Blue Dot, The Fix, Katana
Starion
THS Average: 170

Post by Starion »

I'm grateful that a few lanes around here still have evening specials 2-3 hours for $5-10. Otherwise $3.75-$5+ per game. The newer Headpinz centers have very high hourly rates that I don't bother with, but are fine if there's big parties of 4-6 per lane and happy with maybe 1 game pp. It really does seem that some centers are league based while others are strongly just house entertainment. No surprise it's about the money. Sad to see lanes removed...I've seen trampolines replace lanes, then pulled for TVs and video games for the kids.

It seems that the majority of bowlers are casual, evening fun bowlers. We can only hope there's at least one place reasonably centered in town that caters to leagues and bowlers seeking to improve and bowl regularly & at reasonable prices!! Else, it's quickly a pricey endeavor that youth will avoid taking seriously.

speaking of the VIP "party lights"...

Q: Have you ever seen lanes where the arrows for aiming have a reflective paint or something/anything to actually be VISIBLE during those blacklight/VIP night conditions? It's really strange now that I'm using those, that centers are ok with them being totally invisible. Literally night & day difference. Seems like a clear reflective white coating beneath would fix it!?
Pinbuster

Post by Pinbuster »

I believe most of the houses around here charge $3.50 to $4.00 a line for leagues.

Open play is all over the place. A lot depends on the time of the day and which day it is .

As a league bowler I can get $2.00 open play during the day and early evening on weekdays. One house has a 2 hour special for $6.00 on weekdays from 11 am to 1 pm.

But weekend open play is generally about $5.00 a game or $13 and hour for a lane.