Getting Fingers on the inside of the ball

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Re: Getting Fingers on the inside of the ball

Post by krava »

Aiming with 4th finger

I am a bit lost with this still. When you setup with the ball in the stance, where is the 4th finger pointing? Also does the 4th finger point toward the pins during the entire swing? I still hold the ball with my wrist cupped with my 4th finger pointing at 10 and the middle at 11 then try to hold that position the entire swing and then at the last minute sweep around and then the 4th finger can point at the pins. I am trying now while sitting in this chair, When I cock my wrist at the start, i can't point my 4th finger toward the pins. I take my hand flat out fingers at 11 and 12, Once cocked, it switches to 10 and 11.

Here is a side question for you.

How can you adjust faster. (Starting with a GB3 box finish but bowled 5 games on it and it is drilled for control and this is a benchmark ball)

Usually I stand at 25 and then throw the ball. (This is a fresh house shot ) I told myself I would throw the ball correctly and focused on making sure my fingers were on the inside of the ball and also with a strong wrist position. (atleast did the best I could)

A long story short 1 threw 4 shots in a row and on each shot i moved 2 left. It took me 4 shots to finally get into position. Isn't 2 boards a significant move? The ball did go brooklyn but still hit the headpin and the 2. This wasn't league play where if I move 2 left, I could have been in someone else's zone and thus need to move even more. This was fresh never bowled before oil. The ball didn't hook early, if it hooked early, then maybe it is necessary to change zones. it was just so much hook on the backend. I didn't have my low flare ball and this ball had like 6-7 oil rings maybe more but like 4-5in of flare.
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Post by 44boyd »

Aim towards target, what I mean by lead with ring finger is it should be the most forward (your hand will be behind the ball instead of the side)

Two boards is nothing
Stacy
krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Post by krava »

Thanks for the help. I feel that I have this down now. Scores were pretty bad but wasn't after the score. I know what a good shot feels like now. I was actually able to hit the target pretty decently and even play 15-18 range and actually hit that area and get it out. When I did throw it up the middle and not out, my shoulder closed off the angles and that is why the ball went that away. I need to work on hand positions because my hook is out of control if I try to play around the 2nd arrow. In league yesterday, I was throwing the ball half way decent (not as well as today though) and was going at 277 pace and stared the 9th frame. (4th frame closed off my shoulder and the ball went down the middle), anyway ended up throwing the ball and had 4 major splits in a row. Big 4, greek church , 124 10, 8 10 big hooking balls can give you bad splits. I used to maybe only see 1 split a game if I saw that.

I can see the difference in the power of the ball hitting the pins, but the draw back is those nasty splits. Also tonight (Saturday) i noticed that slight speed differences cause alot of problems with more revs and hook. Drop the speed like .7mph or so and that could be 3-4 boards at the pins.
Enyaw10483
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by Enyaw10483 »

I am having the same issues, during my backswing my hand rotates and somewhat comes back, but doesn't allow me to stay behind the ball. It is extremely frustrating. I am going to try and use the turbo wrist restrictor and see if it helps.

I have a few videos if anyone would like to see and give some tips , I would appreciate it.
boomer
THS Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 6 3/16 x 1/2 up
Speed: 13.8 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 230
Preferred Company: Storm (it smells pretty)

Post by boomer »

I've found that when my hand rotates, it's because I'm trying to "help" the ball. When I do that, I remind myself to let the ball swing me. My right arm is only a pendulum until the very end - as Norm says, the left hand does the work, the right hand gets the glory but really doesn't do anything until the end.
TomaHawk
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by TomaHawk »

Please stop squeezing the ball and just let it go. If the ball drops on the floor or flies off your hand behind you, pick it up and try again. DO NOT SQUEEZE THE BALL....EVER
SomyP
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by SomyP »

Something else to try is to tighten the thumb hole. A lot of pros use a really tight thumb hole. This will force your hand to relax in the ball. The game is not how, it's how many.

Norm Duke has won 40 times on the national tour. And 2 of those titles came last season. The guy is in his 50s and can still get it done against the kids. Proof that he knows his game and doesn't have to have a 500+ rev rate to compete.

Practice with a wrist brace. A big metal one like what the ladies on the pro tour wear. Use it to teach you how it feels to be behind the ball in the first place. Once you get a feel for what it's like to be behind the ball, then work on getting your fingers to the inside.

Of course the other fast track that I don't recommend is the sarge Easter grip. That grip contrary to popular belief is not meant to cut down rev rate, but rather was created to help the original user be behind the ball. Its over exaggeration by teaching how to lead with the ring finger.

Trust me I use to spin the ball. It took me 10 weeks of consistent practicing with a metal brace to understand how to be behind the ball. We want quick results, but bowling is a game that takes patience and lots of practice to become good at.