Practice time prior to league games

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

skfboiler
Heavy Oil Ball: Rotor Grip HyperCell Fused
Medium Oil Ball: Storm Timeless
Light Oil Ball: Storm Punch Out
Preferred Company: Storm

Practice time prior to league games

Post by skfboiler » November 3rd, 2019, 5:07 am

We get 10 minutes of practice prior to the start of our league games. How do you all best use that time?
My Arsenal: Storm Crux Pearl, Roto Grip HyperCell Fused, Storm Soniq, Storm Timeless, and Storm Punch Out

JimH
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Re: Practice time prior to league games

Post by JimH » November 3rd, 2019, 1:23 pm

Before the practice starts you can get your stretching exercises done. You never mentioned how many on a team and if substitutes will also get practice time. For example, if it is team of 5 with 2 subs waiting to maybe get to play the 2nd or 3rd game you could have up to 14 people trying to get some practce. Do you get a set of pins to practice for each shot or just one set of pins for the 10 minutes, pin setup time will mean fewer practice shots. You should bowl on each lane and try to determine the oil pattern for each lane. Hopefully there is not a slow bowler on the lane during practice. It is only a few minutes practice. You don't need to watch someone stand on the approach to decide how to hold the ball.

bigjim300
Preferred Company: radical bowling

Post by bigjim300 » November 3rd, 2019, 9:15 pm

for me I will shoot at the 10 pin or the 7 pin and then shoot my strike shot

Pinbuster

Post by Pinbuster » November 4th, 2019, 12:43 pm

In my 50+ years of bowling I have never seen potential subs practicing during league warm up time. That is a new one on me. ;)

Despite stretching I'm still pretty stiff so the first few shots are pretty much trying to loosen up and get up to speed. But even then you can learn from your ball reaction.

In most league settings the shot to the pocket is pretty much the same to start each week. I use the first few shots to test that line. You need to watch your ball all the way down the lane to see when it reacts to friction and make adjustments to that.

5 person teams generally means you will get 6 to 8 shots max.

You need to get everyone on board but I have a league that you only throw one shot during practice and then move to the other lane. This eliminates ball return wait times and you get more shots in. But bowlers can't take re-racks or foul to reset pins left or it will slow you back down. Your eyes know where the pocket is so you don't have to have a full rack and you normally get a few shots with a full rack.

AMF pinsetters were the only ones I know of that allow shadow bowling (with no pins) during practice and I don't believe we have a house left in town with AMF pinsetters. But shadow practice does speed things up. But sometimes getting lined up to carry corners can be a problem.

JimH
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by JimH » November 4th, 2019, 1:26 pm

Pinbuster wrote:In my 50+ years of bowling I have never seen potential subs practicing during league warm up time. That is a new one on me. ;)
In the US many leagues operate with 'floating subs' where the sub can bowl with any team. In Ireland I have never seen floating subs being used. Teams are allowed a fixed number of players and they might bowl every week. For example a doubles team can have 3 players. I bowled on a doubles team once where every bowler played 2 games every week. Games 1 + 2 or 2 + 3 or 1 + 3. A team of 5 could have 2 extra players for a total of 7 on the team. I know of one team of 5 which takes the two players with the lowest scores out for the next game and puts the two extra players in.

I know a man from the US who moved to Ireland and joined a league. He did not understand why the team captain replaced him for a game, he quit the league.