Advice for weird (inverse) house shot

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

ModernGame

Advice for weird (inverse) house shot

Post by ModernGame »

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on how to play a weird house shot. I've posted in the layout forum on the same issue and whether or not a low flare layout would help if anyone has layout advice on the subject they'd like to give.

The pattern our house is using for league this year seems to be the opposite of what a typical house shot is; there is little oil in the middle of the lane, and a lot of oil outside of board 7 on each side. Any shot that stays inside of board 7 will hook early and a lot, while any shot outside of board 7 will likely not make it back to the pocket. Playing further left doesn't seem to make much of a difference because the lack of oil in the middle still causes my shot to start picking up too soon and not reach a breakpoint that is far enough outside to get the ball to the pocket. The conspiracy theorist in me thinks that they've chosen this type of pattern to keep the outside part of the lane from breaking down too quickly since almost everyone in my league is a low rev player that has to play straight up the outside, but who knows.

My stats seems to exacerbate this problem being that i'm a higher rev player:

PAP: 4.5 over, 0.5 up
Rev rate: 450
Ball speed: 18.5 mph
Axis rotation: 55

I've tried lower level balls meant for dryer conditions like the hustle ink and motiv thrill and both hook too much if I play further right, and don't drive through the pocket well if I try to hook the entire lane. Throwing a DV8 tactic control has given me a more consistent line to the pocket but if I miss even a little right and hit that oil on the outside it won't make it back to the pocket.

What adjustments should I try to make to deal with these conditions? I'm not sure if I should try to increase my ball speed, lower my axis rotation, or change to a different ball with a low flare layout. I'm also not good enough to do the first two consistently but if they're my only options I can try to practice one.

Any help is appreciated.
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Re: Advice for weird (inverse) house shot

Post by MegaMav »

ModernGame wrote:I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on how to play a weird house shot. I've posted in the layout forum on the same issue and whether or not a low flare layout would help if anyone has layout advice on the subject they'd like to give.

The pattern our house is using for league this year seems to be the opposite of what a typical house shot is; there is little oil in the middle of the lane, and a lot of oil outside of board 7 on each side. Any shot that stays inside of board 7 will hook early and a lot, while any shot outside of board 7 will likely not make it back to the pocket. Playing further left doesn't seem to make much of a difference because the lack of oil in the middle still causes my shot to start picking up too soon and not reach a breakpoint that is far enough outside to get the ball to the pocket. The conspiracy theorist in me thinks that they've chosen this type of pattern to keep the outside part of the lane from breaking down too quickly since almost everyone in my league is a low rev player that has to play straight up the outside, but who knows.

I've tried lower level balls meant for dryer conditions like the hustle ink and motiv thrill and both hook too much if I play further right, and don't drive through the pocket well if I try to hook the entire lane. Throwing a DV8 tactic control has given me a more consistent line to the pocket but if I miss even a little right and hit that oil on the outside it won't make it back to the pocket.

What adjustments should I try to make to deal with these conditions? I'm not sure if I should try to increase my ball speed, lower my axis rotation, or change to a different ball with a low flare layout. I'm also not good enough to do the first two consistently but if they're my only options I can try to practice one.

Any help is appreciated.
It sounds like topography issues to me.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

First of all, find out who the average leaders are. Between your turns to bowl, see where and how they are playing the lanes. Gary Dickerson referred to that as going to school on the lanes.
Gary Dickerson - https://www.pba.com/bowlers/HallOfFame/249" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If the league's in the house are using software such as leaguesecretary, study the graphs in all the leagues.
Example of the software package I referred to
https://www.leaguesecretary.com/bowling ... oard/63509" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Remember, the most important thing is win the match. Scores are secondary.

Del Warren showed what the Webber International U team did to determine how to play lanes when they do not know the pattern.

See posts and videos at
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14423&p=112899&hilit=Webber#p112899" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Discuss the Webber University way as illustrated by Del Warren.

As Eric said, Topography will always play a big part. In addition to surface topography per se, the slope of what's under the lanes plays a part.

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

A ball rolling up hill will react as if the surface was dry, conversely, when rolling down hill it will react as if the surface was slick.

Testing the lanes with plastic straight up each arrow zone will help determine length and return the ball with oil on it.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
jdrsuper
Positive Axis Point: 4 11/16 over 1 up
Speed: 13 off hand
Rev Rate: 200
Axis Tilt: 24
Axis Rotation: 75
Heavy Oil Ball: Track Logix
Medium Oil Ball: Track Paradox
Light Oil Ball: Hammer Widow Black Urethane
Preferred Company: Ebonite Brands

Post by jdrsuper »

ModernGame wrote:I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on how to play a weird house shot. I've posted in the layout forum on the same issue and whether or not a low flare layout would help if anyone has layout advice on the subject they'd like to give.

Being an old timer what your describing sounds like a reverse block where the lanes between the 7 boards are fairly dry. In most house shots I rarely see reverse blocks and they are usually not a topography problem. A high rg pearlized coverstock drilled to go long can help and cutting down on your revs could help also. One house that I bowl ABT tournaments always puts out a reverse block usually 8 to 8 is really dry. I throw 12 pound equipment and I use a widow plastic spare ball to keep the bowl from over hooking. Speed may also be your friend on these condition but cutting down on hook and revs will help.

Any help is appreciated.
Joel Resnick
Hand: Left
PAP: 4 11/16 over 1 up
Speed: 13 off hand
Rev Rate: 200
Axis Tilt: 24
Axis Rotation: 75

No matter what you are trying to do remember simplicity gives better results than over complicating things.