taming down the hook

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

taming down the hook

Post by krava »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; video didn't do me much good. Your not suppose to have a lot of hand in any shot. Your suppose to let the ball do the work. So lost me with that. Maybe that was in the days of urethane.

What is the proper way of "taming down the hook". Right now I hold the ball cocked a bit with the middle and 4th finger pointing at 9:30-10pm position when starting and keeping that position throughout the swing. Wouldn't it tame down, if the wrist is brought back to the right a bit more to like 11:30-12:30? I haven't attempted to try to throw the ball like that in a hook. I hold the ball like that for a 0 rotation broken wrist shot, straight at spares. You can always break the wrist and throw the ball but then your throwing the ball wrong and maybe regaining bad habits.

From what I read, your suppose to be good at several different releases, and have several different axis rotation / (whatever the other thing is called, can't think right now). Would you do a 3/4 roller release to cut down the hook if you ever need to, or just abandon that position completely?

The reason for this is that, the more left you go and more extreme hook, the more you tend to leave the 10 pin from too much angle or something.6-7 10 pins from dead pocket hits in one game is just upsettting. and a 1 and 1 move didn't help. couldn't do a ball change because didn't have anything left. Only had 3 balls. Balled up from a rocketship to a conspiracy once the rocketship stopped turning the corner.
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Re: taming down the hook

Post by 44boyd »

Krava, you break your wrist early in the downswing because you pull the ball down. You have multiple photos of this on your practice thread. Until that is fixed, moving left is going to expose that flaw in your game. As far as leaving 10s, if you don’t have other balls then try a different hand position like spreading the index out further and tucking your pinky under to try to help store energy for the backend. You can also try moving up or back on the approach. And lastly, sometimes you just have to grind and make your spares.
Stacy
boomer
THS Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 6 3/16 x 1/2 up
Speed: 13.8 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 230
Preferred Company: Storm (it smells pretty)

Post by boomer »

krava wrote:The reason for this is that, the more left you go and more extreme hook, the more you tend to leave the 10 pin from too much angle or something.6-7 10 pins from dead pocket hits in one game is just upsettting. and a 1 and 1 move didn't help. couldn't do a ball change because didn't have anything left. Only had 3 balls. Balled up from a rocketship to a conspiracy once the rocketship stopped turning the corner.
That's not necessarily true. Look at people who get that extreme angle - Belmo, for instance, has one of the biggest entry angle and how many 10s does he leave? With all that pin action?

Focus on what you're doing now.

It's better for me, anyway, to have three different balls that do different things. We tend to get three balls that all do the same thing but THINK they do different things. . . talk with a competent PSO and develop an arsenal and then learn to play the three.

But do it, for now, with the same delivery. You CAN play with a polished ball more on the right and straighter; and with a more sanded ball swinging it left to right. Learn to control your ballspeed and be completely consistent with your delivery.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

44boyd wrote:Krava, you break your wrist early in the downswing because you pull the ball down. You have multiple photos of this on your practice thread. Until that is fixed, moving left is going to expose that flaw in your game. As far as leaving 10s, if you don’t have other balls then try a different hand position like spreading the index out further and tucking your pinky under to try to help store energy for the backend. You can also try moving up or back on the approach. And lastly, sometimes you just have to grind and make your spares.
krava, if you needed medical care, would you seek treatment on the internet or by appointment with a doctor.

Work with a coach that will treat the causes of the symptoms you manifest. Stacy addressed why you have the early wrist break, because you pull the ball down. Your body is triggering that pull down, both of these are symptoms.
Of course, you could wear a wrist brace and that would address a symptom but not the cause.
Our physical game is sort of like a portrait. Portraits are painted with brush strokes not rollers. Our game can be likened to an equation with positive and negative variables.
A skilled coach will know what to change and what not to change.

I know a decent amount about the physical game, but if I seriously wanted to improve, I'd work with a coach.
Empty the cup.
Why?

Once upon a time, a scholar came to visit a saint. After the scholar had been orating and propounding for a while, the saint proposed some tea. She slowly filled the scholar's cup: gradually the tea rose to the very brim and began spilling over onto the table, yet she kept pouring and pouring. The scholar burst out: "Stop! You can't add anything to something that's already full!" The saint set down the teapot and replied, "Exactly."

Whether it's the blankness of a canvas to an artist, the silence between the notes in music, bare dirt for a new garden, the not-knowing openness of a scientist exploring new hypotheses, an unused shelf in a closet or cupboard, or some open time in your schedule, you need space to act effectively, dance with your partners, and have room around your emotional reactions.

Yet most of us, me included, tend to stuff as much as possible into whatever room is available - room in closets, schedules, budgets, relationships, and even the mind itself.
Good book for the mental game, The Inner Game of Tennis.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6440&hilit=key%3A123xyz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
spmcgivern wrote in the above thread
Thanks for adding this book to the library for review. The current state of bowling or "modern bowling" has made a lot of the instructional information obsolete. It is unfortunate because the dwindling popularity has reduced the likelihood of new books in the future. Thankfully, Mark Baker has put his vast knowledge into book form for today's game. What sets Gallwey's book apart is it works no matter how much the physical game changes. The mental side of sports may eventually change, but for now, no other book performs as well as "The Inner Game of Tennis" for developing the mental aspect of competition.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Post by krava »

The broken wrist issue has been fixed. I understand every single post on a practice thread showed that. I have yet to try to do the drills with the fixed version but will attempt to do it tomorrow and then post. I can't do it today because of glow bowling and the lights get turned off and there is no discount. Hopefully I can do it, because right now when I do the downswing and drop the ball, the ball drops straight down a lot closer to my body then it has ever done before and could take out that right leg.

I am not sure what I just typed, anyway I changed my downswing. I drop the ball and it is pulled more tucked inward to the left. The only flaw that I see or atleast feel might be bending over too much or too much side lean and also that issue with the right foot in the wrong position I am aware on and trying to get that better. I will post again in the coach forum one tomorrow.