Unidentified thumb "injuries or marks"

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Unidentified thumb "injuries or marks"

Post by krava »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I posted several pictures of my thumb and used Photoshop to circle the problems. The problem I don't know what it is is in the 1st picture. There is a rectangular bruise or "belt" mark across the inside of my thumb where the fingerprint is. I have no idea what could even cause that.

The other problems are 2 blisters. 1 blister is on the side of my thumb. I think that is caused from my thumb exiting the ball. The other blisters is on the inside of the thumb at the bottom. I haven't had that blister in 22 years. I used to blister that part every week doing a suit case grip throwing it full roller. I guess I am guilty of putting too much grip pressure on the ball to get that? Either that or the spare ball's really rough textured tape I put on the inside of the ball is rubbing that raw.

But what could cause that black rectangular thin mark where the fingerprint is?

The fit was exceptionally tight yesterday. I bowled 6-7 games (alot was drills) I had to take tape out of the ball after throwing it from the start. Then today, I bowled another 3 games of drills. Then 2 more games of regular bowling. Bowled 2 games because they gave me one free somehow.
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Re: Unidentified thumb "injuries or marks"

Post by MegaMav »

Do you ask the pro shop to keep making the thumb hole bigger until you can hear the ocean?
Find a pro shop that knows what they're doing and knows how to work with you as a customer.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

MegaMav wrote:Do you ask the pro shop to keep making the thumb hole bigger until you can hear the ocean?
Find a pro shop that knows what they're doing and knows how to work with you as a customer.

krava, hopefully the pro shop has a area for customers to roll a few off their hand.
A good PSO can see red flags such as too much grip pressure, which wounds the heart of a bowler's release.
Personal example, a few years ago I moved and thought I might get back into the game.
Went to a local shop which has endorsements from highly trusted sources, one of them a forum member.
So I asked him to measure my hands, had some old equipment plugged and redrilled, including 1 for my left hand.
We did a deskside test after the drilling, when he thought I was ready for a toss, we began.
The first attempt, saw the ball stay on. Relax he said, I did, ball came off, but he could still see tension and excessive lift. He convinced me to let if roll off my hand.
I did, bingo RPM's drastically increased.

Release is a tricky word, there is no implication of how and when ...
I think it was Earl Anthony who said this regarding his release, "I push the ball down the lane".
This game would be easier if we did not need thumbs.
We release a yo-yo by in essence rolling it off our hand.

Bowler's rarely reach their potential with excessive grip pressure.
The best look so smooth, sharp as a sword that cuts a silk cloth when the cloth falls on the blade, effortless power ...
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Post by krava »

The balls used were drilled to the specs according to the people at ITRC in Dallas. The biggest thumbhole I have is the ball that was drilled the next day by wicks proshop. After that ball was drilled we downsized the hole by 1 unit. For instance If I am correct, that ball has 4-5 pieces of tape in it atleast. The other balls have 1-2 pieces. I was guilty in the past about making the PSO make the hole bigger every time he drilled it. Now I trust him whatever he does is good. If the ball is too "loose" it is my fault for not having enough tape in it. When I feel a ball loose I put tape in it. The hammer hida tape thing feels good but when I have to take it off because it tears itself, the next ball I throw the ball feels really loose and open. I really don't think I have a problem with grip pressure, I can tend to feel it and then realize what I am doing. Too much grip pressure results in the ball sticking sort of on the hand and if not the ball doesn't have very many revs and I haven't ran into that lately.
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Post by 44boyd »

Your thumb states otherwise.
Stacy
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

krava, when file size permits, attaching your pictures as jpg files would be preferable to supplying links.

As for your thumb issues, only you know what you feel. Irritations etc are generally symptomatic of particular grip anomalies.

This wiki article has some golden information including concise wisdom by Mo Pinel.

http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... p_Pressure" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's almost impossible to out bowl or out coach an improper fit.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
boomer
THS Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 6 3/16 x 1/2 up
Speed: 13.8 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 230
Preferred Company: Storm (it smells pretty)

Post by boomer »

If you're getting a blister/nasty patch at the BASE of your thumb, AND you're ripping the hada tape . . .

Your fit ain't right. No matter what your pro shop tells you, your fit ain't right.

That and your release may not be right. No way should the BASE of your thumb have that amount of wear, and no way should you be RIPPING hada tape.

Yeah. Hmmm. . .