Your Most Memorable Moment In Bowling?

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Your Most Memorable Moment In Bowling?

Post by kajmk »

Stumbled upon this short clip of Ameletto.
He shares that moment and some good advice ...

Thought this might be a good FUN topic.
Hope you'll chime in.

[youtube][/youtube]
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
guruU2
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: Your Most Memorable Moment In Bowling?

Post by guruU2 »

Meeting the following coaches and players and having detailed conversations with them over the years: Bill Taylor (HOW TO DRILL A BOWLING BALL, BALANCE), Tom Korous (PAR BOWLING: The Challenge), Mo Pinel (The Father of the modern bowling ball), Fred Borden (THE Gold Coach), Don Carter (Mr Bowling) and Sam Baca (The original PBA lanesman). I miss Bill ,Tom and Don; will see Mo in September, just saw Sam at BOWL EXPO and saw Fred last week during Ace Mitchell's Trade Show in Akron.
My disappointments: not being able to meet the legendary coach and great bowler of the late 40's thru the mid 60's Bill Bunetta and not being able to meet the GREAT bowler and instructor Don Johnson.
-Gary Parsons
If one does not know one's product, one can not manage nor promote the product one does not know.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

All things considered, you've got some great memories and experiences. Meeting any one of that August group would have been exhilarating.
Thanks for your reply and all you share with the forum.

John
JimH
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by JimH »

One group I coached was for Blind and Visually Impaired bowlers.  One lady in her 60's who was blind since early childhood loved bowling.  She lived about 80 miles(130KM) away and had to take a train to get to the bowling center.  One of her grandchildren brought her.  As she progressed in bowling she became more confident in herself.  Particularly after we went to another country for a tournament.  She then decided she wanted to travel to a for a short break.  This required taking a train to the city, then taking local transport to a different train station in the city to get to her final destination by another train.  The journey took all day, from 8AM to 5PM.  After she did this journey on her own she told me that bowling and I gave her the confidence to take on this task.

Bowling is not just about knocking over pins. For some people it provides opportunties to enrich life.
Last edited by JimH on August 11th, 2019, 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Growing the sport and enriching lives.
Jim H-
Bowling is not just about knocking over pins. For some people it provides opportunties to enrich life.
Thanks for sharing this special story.

John
flibblesh
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by flibblesh »

Jeez, compared to those stories, mine is a bit anticlimactic.

3 8-10s in a row during a tournament. The confusion was unreal.
Steven Bourgaize

Rev Rate: Roughly 300
Ball Weight: 15lb
PAP: Smear
Span: Teeny
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

flibblesh wrote:Jeez, compared to those stories, mine is a bit anticlimactic.

3 8-10s in a row during a tournament. The confusion was unreal.
Ha!
Not keeping score, no prizes ...
I'd share mind, if only I could remember :roll:

Thanks for sharing.

Words of Wisdom, an old poem recited and musically accompanied by two of my old favorites

[youtube][/youtube]

John
cw90stratos
Speed: 17 F L
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 10
Axis Rotation: 40
Heavy Oil Ball: rg show off
Medium Oil Ball: storm marvel pearl
Light Oil Ball: still looking for one
Preferred Company: anything other than columbia

Post by cw90stratos »

Really lame compared to the first 2.

1) Met And got Earl Anthony's autograph at a youth's Elk's lodge tourney as I was a kid. I'm 53 now. Not to many pro's came to Huntsville AL back then. The only 2 locals that made the show Jimmy Certain, Tony Churchy.

2) Met Mr and Mrs Ernie Schlagel in Gretna LA at Expressway Lanes.

3) At expressway lanes in 02. Last game 8th frame left a very unusual 7 9 split costed me a 800 series. 786. Haven't come close since.

4) Shot 1st and only 300 last Thanksgiving, 40 yrs of trying. Never lucky Lefty trapped in a righty body. 3 290 1 280 many 279's to count.

5) This year went to a clinic here in Huntsville met Ronnie Russell, A J Johnson, E J Tackett. Pretty humbling exp. One thing to see them on tv whole other to actually roll in person. Very athletic and smooth releases unbelievable.

Sorry if I bored yall.
right, pap 4 1/2 over 1/2 up. AT 10 AR 60, 16.5 mph off hand, around 325 rpm
spmcgivern
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 4 3/4" and 1/4" up
Speed: 17-18 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 400

Post by spmcgivern »

Maybe not as fancy as some of the others, but cool to me all the same.

1. Bowling in college my freshman year. Was bowling well, but didn't know the standings since they were 2 games behind in getting scores tabulated. Tenth frame of the last game and I leave a 7-10 split. Was upset, but no biggie, and shoot hard at the 10. Spare the 7-10 and strike to fill out the frame for a decent game. Go to lunch before the Team Baker portion and return to find out I won by 2 pins.

2. 2016 Texas USBC State tournament - Was finally able to bowl in front of my dad. Tournament was held in Dallas where he lives and he came to watch all three events. My dad was a professional bowler in Texas with a pro win and to this day I still get the "Oh, your Jim's son." My dad quit bowling in the mid 80s and it still happens. Anyway, I continue to have the best bowling weekend of my career. Shoot an 821 in doubles with my wife and finish with 2,295 scratch. My dad was so proud! It was the last weekend of the tournament and he was continually checking the standings to see how I was doing. After my last game he came back and said I won by 14 pins. SOOOOO happy..... until I found out my team captain didn't realize I wasn't in scratch, but the first handicap division. The year they used my average from was the one year I was injured and ended at 219 instead of 220 (the cutoff for scratch). I was very upset at the situation, not at my captain. My dad was very proud nonetheless.

3. A cool story from my mom. My grandmother was a GM for the old Bronco Bowl in Dallas waayyy back in the day. One day Mickey Mantle was coming by for a marketing event. My mom loved Mickey Mantle (as did most girls in the day) and wanted to meet him. My grandmother told my mom to wait till she called for her over the intercom to make sure it was okay. My mom got the call and went to the office to meet Mickey Mantle sooo excited. Went down the hall and there were tons of people there waiting outside the office. My mom, in her hurriedness, forgot to get a pen. Asked a gentleman outside the office for a pen so she could get a famous baseball player's autograph. The gentleman gave her a pen and she got Mickey Mantle's autograph, returned the pen, and went off fantasizing I am sure. As soon as my mom left, the gentlemen came back in talking about how a girl asked for a pen to get a "professional baseball player's" autograph. That gentleman was none other than Yogi Berra. My mom didn't realize who he was.
Last edited by spmcgivern on August 12th, 2019, 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boomer
THS Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 6 3/16 x 1/2 up
Speed: 13.8 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 230
Preferred Company: Storm (it smells pretty)

Post by boomer »

Worked brackets for Cali Women's State a few years ago, which itself was fun though LONG.

One weekend, the lady pros were there and they FILLED the brackets, as you can imagine. But off to one end there was a fairly old lady, I think in her upper 80s maybe even 90s, extremely sweet, and her friends bought her into every HC bracket that was there. She was extremely bent over due to age and osteoporosis - almost 90degrees. She bowled very slow and had a VERY slow ballspeed.

BUT - she bowled WAY over her average every single game. Everyone was done but her pair, and all the lady pros were gathered around her pair (once they realized they couldn't get their brackets until she was done, LOL) and started rooting for her - not to finish, but to just keep rockin it!

She was absolutely floored by the attention - and the congrats that she got by these great bowlers, whom she beat, every single one (handicap, of course).

Won't forget that one! :)
ICURNVS
THS Average: 220
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2 -> 3/4 up
Speed: 16.8 Monitor
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 11
Axis Rotation: 30
Heavy Oil Ball: Zen Master
Medium Oil Ball: Power Torq / UFO Alert / Honey Badger Revival
Light Oil Ball: Marvel Pearl / Stellar
Preferred Company: What ever is on Sale

Post by ICURNVS »

As a youth bowler in the 80s Tommy Hudson had a house that the youth "travel league" bowled at on Sundays.

Every couple years he would do a bowl with the pros. So when i got a chance to participate I saw Mark Roth, Earl Anthony, all these big names from back then.

I got to bowl with ... Spider Web....
** UPDATED STATS AS OF 6-06-19 **
Right Hand
PAP 4 1/2-> 3/4 up
ROTATION 20 - 30
TILT 11.5*
MPH 14.5-15.2 MONITOR
RPM 350-375
RIP Visionary Bowling Products.....
delbowler
THS Average: 165
Speed: 15-16 launch via Specto
Rev Rate: 275
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: ????
Medium Oil Ball: ???
Light Oil Ball: Track Triton
Preferred Company: ???

Post by delbowler »

when Don McCune told me to clean my urethane ball with lacquer thinner, which I did once or twice before stopping when I realized lacquer thinner dissolves styrofoam cups and so can't be good for bowling balls :shock: :?
"Just put 3 holes in it, I'll make it work." Pete Weber
TomaHawk
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by TomaHawk »

Around Detroit, every young bowler had aspirations of bowling for a team in the Detroit All-Star Classic. The way a person got an opportunity in the Classic was to bowl in another league where someone from the All-Star league was bowling. There were several better leagues in Detroit the Classic bowlers would migrate to.

You had to have a minimum average of 190 to bowl in the All-Star Classic, the same exact standard as was required by the PBA.

The next step was to get asked to bowl. This was no easy task when bowling was strong. If a person was lucky enough to be on team, he stayed on the team. Only on rare occasions were there openings. Seeing as how that option was about as rare as winning the lottery, a bowler would go to the lanes on the night of the All-Star Classic and hope that someone could not make it to the lanes in time to start.

The Detroit All-Star Classic had very strict rules by most league standards. Start time was one of them. If you were not on the lanes when the lights came on, the bowler would be issued zero for every frame. All bowlers had to be in full uniform, that meant shirts and pants. Subs could be taken from the crowd if necessary, but the team would be fined for a bowler out of uniform. The sub could not be wearing jeans or a t-shirt. There is one other rule worth mentioning. A bowler could replace another bowler at any point in the game, no penalty would be assessed, it would simply be a continuation of the game.

The Classic was the highest scoring, highest average, most sophisticated league a person could ever imagine participating in. It was like the PBA of league bowling. I worked diligently to get my average to 200+ just to have a chance.

Even though I was beginning to gain recognition among Classic team members, there were no openings. So, I would go to the lanes on their bowling night and hope someone would get caught in traffic. The trek to the lanes on Tuesday night became a ritual, weeks turned into months.

Then, one night, I was standing behind a team of guys that I had met in one of the leagues I bowled in. While watching, I noticed one of the bowlers pick up his stuff right in the middle of the game and leave. It was inconceivable that a bowler would do that, he was a PBA member too. Nobody on the team noticed, they probably thought he went to the restroom or to get a beer.

Play went on until it was the guy, who had just left, turn to bowl. They waited about three minutes when one of the guys on the team looked up into the crowd of people and asked if I'd seen the fellow. How do say to someone, in one of the most prestigious leagues in the world: "I think he left". You should have seen the look on their faces.

I knew one of the bowlers on the team and he asked if I had my equipment with me. It was so difficult to be "cool". I said: "let me see". I must have ran to the car, grabbed a two ball bag, ran clear across the parking lot of a 94 lane center......in under a second.

No warm up, didn't need it anyway, I just ran a 1/4 mile with a bowling bag containing two #16 bowling balls. I picked up one the balls, threw it, strike and proceeded to sit down in the settee. Right along side me sat the legendary Bob Strampe. Yup, television, PBA Bob Strampe, the very description of cool, calm, and collective. Here I was, bowling on his team.

The game went along, every shot I threw was a strike and every shot I threw was harder than the last. I would sit down right next to Strampe after every shot, it was the only seat left in a settee where it seemed like the seat had your name on it.

After about the 5th strike in a row, I go to "my" seat. Strampe leans over to me and says: "Slow down kid, you don't have to blow up the pins". He just sat back and smiled just a little bit.

Yes, Bob Strampe was "cool". I saw it, up close and personal.