BB surface those in the know.

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

b3y0nd3r
Preferred Company: motiv

BB surface those in the know.

Post by b3y0nd3r »

So on the latest CTD video, Ron claims all balls eventually end up with a 4700 grit surface, no matter what. Some questions for those that are in the know:
- Is that a true statement? I have seen Ron measure the surface of lane shine balls and they all appear around that 4700 mark.
- If it is a true statement, then why don't BB manufacturers make balls that start with 4700 grit? It would provide a more consistent shot over a longer period of time vs a ball that has a 200 grit starting surface.
Thank you, I will take my answer off the air(Inside radio joke).
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Re: BB surface those in the know.

Post by MegaMav »

Is there a 4700 grit pad I'm not aware of?
When abrasives are used at the factory they are more "true" the fresher the pad is, so there will be some variance.
There will be some variance in the drift of the surface of the bowling ball depending upon the age and type of surface you're bowling on.
boomer
THS Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 6 3/16 x 1/2 up
Speed: 13.8 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 230
Preferred Company: Storm (it smells pretty)

Post by boomer »

I think he's meaning "lane polish" - that the effective surface of a ball will end up being whatever-4700 after a while.
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

b3y0nd3r wrote:So on the latest CTD video, Ron claims all balls eventually end up with a 4700 grit surface, no matter what. Some questions for those that are in the know:
- Is that a true statement? I have seen Ron measure the surface of lane shine balls and they all appear around that 4700 mark.
For the most part it's true, as you use balls they "lane shine". The surface will change it will either get rougher or smoother depending on what its starting surface till it reaches about that grit (thats if you don't maintain and refresh the surface). It used to be 600-800 grit was what balls lane shined too but it's changed over the years.

How fast that happens depends on the conditions oil, lane surface, how much you bowl etc.

That's why you have to maintain your surfaces or else your reaction will change.

Radical posted some videos telling about it here's one.

[youtube][/youtube]

- If it is a true statement, then why don't BB manufacturers make balls that start with 4700 grit? It would provide a more consistent shot over a longer period of time vs a ball that has a 200 grit starting surface.
Manufactures don't do that because you don't use the same surface on all conditions. Different surface textures give balls different reactions to work better on different oil conditions.

Now you could adjust all your balls to that grit yourself , but you wouldn't get optimum performance on all conditions, because tghat surface won't matchup on all conditions.
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
TomaHawk
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by TomaHawk »

Manufactures are fairly diligent. If they thought 4700 grit would be beneficial to the performance of a bowling ball, it's a good bet, one would think they would have figured that out by now.