Board index » General Forums » General Bowling




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Switch to lefty progress
 Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:42 am Post Number: #1 Post
Offline
Member

Joined: April 25, 2018
Posts: 68
The first attempt was difficult. But Sunday night something clicked and I rolled a 151.
I was happy with it. Throwing lefty is beginning to feel less and less awkward.

Mark


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Switch to lefty progress
 Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:56 pm Post Number: #2 Post
Offline
Certified Coach
User avatar

Joined: October 25, 2010
Posts: 3437
Location: Sun City Arizona
markkuhn wrote:
The first attempt was difficult. But Sunday night something clicked and I rolled a 151.
I was happy with it. Throwing lefty is beginning to feel less and less awkward.

Mark


Glad you are making progress.

Being a natural right handed, you are probably more aware of lane changes and adjustments. At some point when you feel you are not struggling, start practicing hitting zones on the deck, then individual pins. Once you eliminate the frustration factor, this can be fun. Remember the Disney song from Frozen, "Let it go" ...

Coincidentally, there is a book by Palmer Falgren entitled "Let it go".

List of books rated and or reviewed by some of our forum members.
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index.php?title=Books

You might want to consider the ones dealing with the mental aspects.
"The inner game of tennis" is a very good one!!!

No pressure other than what is self imposed.

Stay the course!!!

_________________
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so

There should be a rule of war saying you have to see someone up close and get to know 'em before it's ok to shoot 'em

Empathize

John


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Switch to lefty progress
 Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:04 am Post Number: #3 Post
Offline
Member

Joined: April 25, 2018
Posts: 68
I was using a 12 pound house ball. Tomorrow I'm having a couple of my bowling balls plugged and redrilled for my left hand. Which means I'm stepping up to 15 pounds.
I'm having them drilled conventional, not finger tip. This will give me less hook while I learn how to adjust my release left handed.
Conventional will also give me more finger in the ball to help me hold the heavier ball.
I've been using a grip strengthener to build up my fingers and forearm muscles.
Feels so good to be back. But I do realize this will be quite a challenge.


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Switch to lefty progress
 Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:45 am Post Number: #4 Post
Offline
Certified Coach
User avatar

Joined: October 25, 2010
Posts: 3437
Location: Sun City Arizona
Mark, I started a thread focusing on wrist conditioning and issues.
I'm including this to point out the planes of motion of the wrist and how to condition them.
Don't be intimidated or put off by the pictures.
The trainer, Jeff Cavilere was the trainer for the New York Mets for 4 years, he trains professional athletes and the average Joe , he trains for FUNCTIONAL performance.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14414&p=112860&hilit=Wrist#p112860

Another good exercise is the Farmers Carry.
This is a GREAT exercise. Like anything else, don't overdue it!
Experiment, start light and work your way up.
The fingers will be the weakest most vulnerable link in the kinetic chain.

This is something I do at every workout. I can tell you, that I've seen very positive results.
I use kettle bell weights.

A variation is just loading one side at a time, that's more geared to a core overload on the side WITHOUT the weight.

Farmers Carry, Excellent exercise, you can do this anyplace, small room, gym, outside.






Good Way To Teach And Learn The Release

I really like Greg's method. Logical and effective.

Here are some words of wisdom by forum member Greg Helms
Greg's Bowling Chat ID is FitDocSr

Quote:
Put a piece of white tape on your PAP. When you can at least make it face the left gutter (straight ball) you are behind it at release. Don't try to hook it (or dont try to turn your hand). Once you have that under control, then you can start adding turn with the hand.
I teach that you cant hook it properly until you can roll it straight properly. Also helps on spares.

_________________
Gregg Helms

_________________
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so

There should be a rule of war saying you have to see someone up close and get to know 'em before it's ok to shoot 'em

Empathize

John


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Switch to lefty progress
 Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:06 am Post Number: #5 Post
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: April 26, 2007
Posts: 4448
Location: Malta, NY
John,

With all of the workout videos you provide, you must be ripped!
:)

-Eric

_________________
“When you prepare for everything, you’re ready for anything.” - Bill Walsh


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Switch to lefty progress
 Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:28 pm Post Number: #6 Post
Offline
Member

Joined: April 25, 2018
Posts: 68
After a chat with my local PSO, I took his suggestion to drop down to 14 pounds since my left hand and arm will not be as strong in the beginning. He gave me a great deal on a used, single-drill Pitch Black.
Thursday was my first day out with the ball. There were some bad shots and there were many good shots, straight down the 2nd arrow and into the pocket. So strange to watch my ball roll into the 1-2 pocket!
I'm in this for however long it takes, but it is fun and it is a challenge. I love the game, and I'm back in it. Won't be bowling in any leagues anytime soon, though. The support I'm getting from my bowling friends is heart-warming.
I'll keep you posted.


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Switch to lefty progress
 Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:25 pm Post Number: #7 Post
Offline
Trusted Source

Joined: January 30, 2010
Posts: 3432
Location: Hawesville KY/Tell City IN
markkuhn wrote:
After a chat with my local PSO, I took his suggestion to drop down to 14 pounds since my left hand and arm will not be as strong in the beginning. He gave me a great deal on a used, single-drill Pitch Black.
Thursday was my first day out with the ball. There were some bad shots and there were many good shots, straight down the 2nd arrow and into the pocket. So strange to watch my ball roll into the 1-2 pocket!
I'm in this for however long it takes, but it is fun and it is a challenge. I love the game, and I'm back in it. Won't be bowling in any leagues anytime soon, though. The support I'm getting from my bowling friends is heart-warming.
I'll keep you posted.


You would be a valuable asset to any team in a handicapped league, because you will improve over the course of the season. In the second half your handicap will be higher than the scores you'll be shooting would warrant. -- JohnP


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Switch to lefty progress
 Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:22 pm Post Number: #8 Post
Offline
Certified Coach
User avatar

Joined: October 25, 2010
Posts: 3437
Location: Sun City Arizona
MegaMav wrote:
John,

With all of the workout videos you provide, you must be ripped!
:)

-Eric


As you know, Talk is Cheap :lol:

Too many years as a desk flying work-a-holic, too many excuses.
My arms resemble to Olive Oyl's more than Popeye.
Alas, I yam, what I yam. Oh yeah, head full of straw ...

At this stage of live, my goal is to look good in the box and have people say as they pass by, hmm, didn't look too bad for an old guy ...

A word on Jeff C, in high school, he was built like a soda straw.

I think it's time to rip open a bag of Fritos ... :lol:


Cheers y'all

_________________
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so

There should be a rule of war saying you have to see someone up close and get to know 'em before it's ok to shoot 'em

Empathize

John


Last edited by kajmk on Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Switch to lefty progress
 Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:26 pm Post Number: #9 Post
Offline
Certified Coach
User avatar

Joined: October 25, 2010
Posts: 3437
Location: Sun City Arizona
Mark, Kudos to your PSO, no doubting his integrity.

Be your own best friend, be honest and fair to yourself as you would to another.

Enjoy

_________________
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so

There should be a rule of war saying you have to see someone up close and get to know 'em before it's ok to shoot 'em

Empathize

John


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Switch to lefty progress
 Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:26 pm Post Number: #10 Post
Offline
Certified Coach
User avatar

Joined: October 25, 2010
Posts: 3437
Location: Sun City Arizona
MegaMav wrote:
John,

With all of the workout videos you provide, you must be ripped!
:)

-Eric


I only wish I had found time instead of excuses when I was young.
My gut (pun??) felling is that most of us can find time to do things we say we have no time for.

In general some is better than none.

Be that as it may, about 2 years ago after much cajoling from a neighbor, I started dragging this old body to the gym.
The other day, my wife said she could almost see a muscle, but it turned out to a mosquito bite and favorable lighting :oops:

But we don't need gyms or equipment as you know. I'll bet that as a PSO you are stronger than the average bear, hauling and juggling bowling balls for a living has probably given you very functional strength for the sport.

Hopefully I've managed to help or encourage.

:D

_________________
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so

There should be a rule of war saying you have to see someone up close and get to know 'em before it's ok to shoot 'em

Empathize

John


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Switch to lefty progress
 Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:09 am Post Number: #11 Post
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: April 26, 2007
Posts: 4448
Location: Malta, NY
kajmk wrote:
I'll bet that as a PSO


That is one thing I've made an excuse to avoid. :)

_________________
“When you prepare for everything, you’re ready for anything.” - Bill Walsh


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Switch to lefty progress
 Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:47 pm Post Number: #12 Post
Offline
Trusted Source

Joined: January 30, 2010
Posts: 3432
Location: Hawesville KY/Tell City IN
Quote:
The other day, my wife said she could almost see a muscle, but it turned out to a mosquito bite and favorable lighting


LMAO! I'm going to steal this one. -- JohnP


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Switch to lefty progress
 Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:24 pm Post Number: #13 Post
Offline
Member

Joined: April 25, 2018
Posts: 68
I rolled a 174 last night after 4 games of not paying attention to scoring, focusing on getting my left arm and both feet working together.
Very encouraging.


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Switch to lefty progress
 Posted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:22 pm Post Number: #14 Post
Offline
Member

Joined: April 25, 2018
Posts: 68
Okay, the progress continues. More and more shots are finding the pocket and I'm leaving lots of single pin leaves. But that's fine for now, still learning how to reverse where I used to stand as a righty and flipping it to the left side.
In an earlier post about ball speed being slow, I realized last night that with 14 pounds I'm able to push away higher and have a strong pendulum swing.

Thanks again, everyone.

Mark


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Switch to lefty progress
 Posted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:26 pm Post Number: #15 Post
Offline
Pro Shop

Joined: July 19, 2010
Posts: 352
markkuhn wrote:
Okay, the progress continues. More and more shots are finding the pocket and I'm leaving lots of single pin leaves. But that's fine for now, still learning how to reverse where I used to stand as a righty and flipping it to the left side.
In an earlier post about ball speed being slow, I realized last night that with 14 pounds I'm able to push away higher and have a strong pendulum swing.

Thanks again, everyone.

Mark


That is great to see.

In our shop, we see more than the average amount of people adjusting their games due to injury, age, or physical condition. The people that have the most success have an open mind and the ability to look at their progress with a positive outlook such as yours. You're doing great!

Keep in touch with your pso, he can help monitor your progress.

Who knows, maybe you were a lefty all along ;)


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Switch to lefty progress
 Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:50 am Post Number: #16 Post
Offline
Member

Joined: April 25, 2018
Posts: 68
I started keeping track of my scores now, just as a yardstick to begin tracking my progress.
After 9 games, I'm averaging about 145. Main problems so far are repeating good shots, hitting my target on the lane and converting spares on the left side.
My average righty was 195. I'm about 50 games into bowling lefty at this point.
The single, biggest thing I learned is to not look back. I'm not right handed anymore, so I can't allow myself to dwell on my successes as a right hander. Thinking about those days will stop me dead every time.
My love for this game is strong. I'm in this for the journey, not looking at it as a destination. I'm in this for the friends I've made, the fun of it.
So thanks for following along, Ladies and Gents.
I'll keep you posted.

Mark


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Switch to lefty progress
 Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:11 pm Post Number: #17 Post
Offline
Member

Joined: October 5, 2012
Posts: 160
Nice progress!!!

For me, I found my biggest problems were repeating, and I had much less "feel" with my left hand than my right so it was harder for me to get a feel for what was happening on my hand.

You sound like you're making progress - and having fun too!


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Switch to lefty progress
 Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:13 pm Post Number: #18 Post
Offline
Certified Coach
User avatar

Joined: October 25, 2010
Posts: 3437
Location: Sun City Arizona
markkuhn wrote:
I started keeping track of my scores now, just as a yardstick to begin tracking my progress.
After 9 games, I'm averaging about 145. Main problems so far are repeating good shots, hitting my target on the lane and converting spares on the left side.
My average righty was 195. I'm about 50 games into bowling lefty at this point.
The single, biggest thing I learned is to not look back. I'm not right handed anymore, so I can't allow myself to dwell on my successes as a right hander. Thinking about those days will stop me dead every time.
My love for this game is strong. I'm in this for the journey, not looking at it as a destination. I'm in this for the friends I've made, the fun of it.
So thanks for following along, Ladies and Gents.
I'll keep you posted.

Mark


Hi Mark, you definitely have a winning attitude. I recall that one of the common traits Navy Seals share is that they refuse to quit. They are all physically strong, but it is their strong WILL that makes the cut.

Be aware of your body alignment and your intended line. Know where you start, where you need to finish. Hitting your targetSSSSSSS involves more than your arm per se.
Record yourself, use mirror drills.

A few articles for you, (I will attach links later on, but you can find them on the forum or via Google search. There are advanced search options on Google)
Ondar Gurken (ETBF) The Everything Towards Target Drill.
The Bowlers Journal Article is in the following link. The thread is packed with helpful quality information,
The 5:5 It is short and sweet!

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=13078

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=10369&hilit=turkish

Combine this with the ETT drill: practice it for 13 points of contact, do for 1 until your success rate is acceptable. The 13 points of contact are: Every pin in the front and every pocket between them (Rolf Gauger)


The Ray Wong YouTube video Bowling Lane Strategy



The Ron Clifton article Kick Ball for Strikes and Spares. In fact, I highly recommend all of his articles.

http://www.bowl4fun.com/ron/roncarchive.htm

Find Norm Dukes Lessons on YouTube, yes the entire DVD is there.
Pick 'em
https://m.youtube.com/results?search_qu ... g+lessons+

Rethink your targeting methods.
Try this for a short time as an addendum to what you are doing.
Plot the line to your focal point, but somewhere nearby, say the arrow zone, add one more spot that is within a few feet or so, goal is to hit the two of them.

If you want a good book recently penned, try Brian Voss "Bare Bones Bowling"
Michelle Mullen's re-write of her book is good.
Our wiki has a segment on instructional material including links to reviews by forum members.

http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... l_Material

Enough for now ...

Kudos on your winning attitude.

_________________
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so

There should be a rule of war saying you have to see someone up close and get to know 'em before it's ok to shoot 'em

Empathize

John


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Switch to lefty progress
 Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:22 pm Post Number: #19 Post
Offline
Member

Joined: April 25, 2018
Posts: 68
kajmk wrote:

Hi Mark, you definitely have a winning attitude. I recall that one of the common traits Navy Seals share is that they refuse to quit. They are all physically strong, but it is their strong WILL that makes the cut.

Be aware of your body alignment and your intended line. Know where you start, where you need to finish. Hitting your targetSSSSSSS involves more than your arm per se.
Record yourself, use mirror drills.

A few articles for you, (I will attach links later on, but you can find them on the forum or via Google search. There are advanced search options on Google)
Ondar Gurken (ETBF) The Everything Towards Target Drill.
The Bowlers Journal Article is in the following link. The thread is packed with helpful quality information,
The 5:5 It is short and sweet!

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=13078

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=10369&hilit=turkish

Combine this with the ETT drill: practice it for 13 points of contact, do for 1 until your success rate is acceptable. The 13 points of contact are: Every pin in the front and every pocket between them (Rolf Gauger)


The Ray Wong YouTube video Bowling Lane Strategy



The Ron Clifton article Kick Ball for Strikes and Spares. In fact, I highly recommend all of his articles.

http://www.bowl4fun.com/ron/roncarchive.htm

Find Norm Dukes Lessons on YouTube, yes the entire DVD is there.
Pick 'em
https://m.youtube.com/results?search_qu ... g+lessons+

Rethink your targeting methods.
Try this for a short time as an addendum to what you are doing.
Plot the line to your focal point, but somewhere nearby, say the arrow zone, add one more spot that is within a few feet or so, goal is to hit the two of them.

If you want a good book recently penned, try Brian Voss "Bare Bones Bowling"
Michelle Mullen's re-write of her book is good.
Our wiki has a segment on instructional material including links to reviews by forum members.

http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... l_Material

Enough for now ...

Kudos on your winning attitude.


Thank you, John, very much!


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Switch to lefty progress
 Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:15 am Post Number: #20 Post
Offline
Member

Joined: April 25, 2018
Posts: 68
Very encouraging practice last night. 158, 168, 169 after three games not keeping score, practiced hitting targets on the lane. 7 pin is proving to be a daunting spare, as 10 pin was for me right handed.


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » General Forums » General Bowling


 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron