The clear..or not so clear.

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

b3y0nd3r
Preferred Company: motiv

The clear..or not so clear.

Post by b3y0nd3r »

A new product from CTD called the clear is in the works. Apparently, when your ball loses reaction, you sand it, then soak it in the clear for an hour, then use their other product to remove what is called, hazing. This imbues a "tachifier" into the ball and restores its original factory finish or better. They throw the ball and now it hooks.

IMO, what a crook of baloney! His first video for this product, he has two "Identical" balls one treated with the clear and one not. They throw them and you see the reactions are different. However, they are drilled different! When I mentioned that, his response was that they weren't and if they were, it wouldn't make that much of a difference in ball reaction.

Again, in my opinion, I feel that it's snake oil, from a snake oil salesman. Correct me if i'm wrong, please!
Vendetta
THS Average: 215
Positive Axis Point: 4 5/8 over 3/8 up
Speed: 16 mph off hand
Rev Rate: 210
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 75

Re: The clear..or not so clear.

Post by Vendetta »

Guess we'll find out in Aug when the pre-orders (lots of them) release. Plenty of dying balls out there; let's see if the Doctor "clears" them for life.
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Post by MegaMav »

I clean my gear after every session with Hook-IT and wipe my ball after every shot and have yet to see a ball die out on me. I think people seeing this phenomenon are not cleaning and maintaining a match up surface. Its lane shined equipment and they're speed dominant.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

MegaMav wrote:I clean my gear after every session with Hook-IT and wipe my ball after every shot and have yet to see a ball die out on me. I think people seeing this phenomenon are not cleaning and maintaining a match up surface. Its lane shined equipment and they're speed dominant.
Definitely a Bowlers Best Practice.
Great habit to get in to.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
TomaHawk
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by TomaHawk »

If the ball is relatively new, a cleaning agent is an effective means of maintaining the surface integrity of a bowling ball. Hook It is a very aggressive cleaner and does an admirable job of surface restoration.

Besides the dirt and oil that accumulates on the surface of bowling balls, as a bowling ball ages, there are inherent wear factors in the track area that should addressed. The alteration of the ball's surface, due to the surface friction of the lane, has a tremendous impact on the performance of a ball as it's going down the lane that cannot be addressed by just cleaning with an off the shelf cleaning agent. In this case, a total resurface is warranted to remove the track.

Bowling balls do die eventually though. How long it takes is very much dependent on the expected performance level of the ball and the amount of total use it has on the lane. Expected performance meaning, anticipated response / results when the ball hits the pins. Simply, they do not seem to hit the way they did when they were new. There are other factors too, the type of surface that is being played on, the condition of the machinery, etc. all play a roll in how long a bowling ball will perform at it's maximum potential. Bowlers at the highest level instinctively know when a ball has seen it's better days.

In terms of resurrecting a bowling ball. It seems, no matter how diligent the resurfacing process, the absolute, original reaction can never be regained. There is going to be some loss of performance. Personally, I am skeptical about any product that claims otherwise.