Weak resin balls for slower ball speed

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
markkuhn
Member
Member
Posts: 68
Joined: April 25th, 2018, 4:37 pm

Weak resin balls for slower ball speed

Post by markkuhn » May 17th, 2019, 2:04 am

Folks, I'm slowly coming back after a wrist injury. It will be sometime before my ball speed comes back to where it was before the injury.
I'm looking at weaker resin pearl balls that will give me some length.
I'm talking Brunswick Rhino, Tropical Storm, the new Motiv Thrill, etcetera.
I mean, will picking any of these work okay, because they all seem to be fairly close and similar?

Thanks for your input. Much appreciated.

Mark

elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Posts: 3163
Joined: January 18th, 2010, 9:21 pm

Re: Weak resin balls for slower ball speed

Post by elgavachon » May 17th, 2019, 9:13 am

markkuhn wrote:Folks, I'm slowly coming back after a wrist injury. It will be sometime before my ball speed comes back to where it was before the injury.
I'm looking at weaker resin pearl balls that will give me some length.
I'm talking Brunswick Rhino, Tropical Storm, the new Motiv Thrill, etcetera.
I mean, will picking any of these work okay, because they all seem to be fairly close and similar?

Thanks for your input. Much appreciated.

Mark
Rhino and Tropical are really similar. I like the Tropical a hair better (just me probably). Bill Hall speaks very highly of the Brunswick Twist. It doesn't hook as much as the Rhino. haven't seen one yet in action.
I really like the Hammer plastic with the widow core.

User avatar
snick
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
Posts: 754
Joined: August 31st, 2014, 8:00 pm
THS Average: 190
Positive Axis Point: 5.625" x 0
Speed: 17 off hand
Rev Rate: 360
Axis Tilt: 7
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Fix
Medium Oil Ball: Storm JoyRide
Light Oil Ball: Storm Tropical Breeze
Preferred Company: Storm
Location: Tucson, AZ

Re: Weak resin balls for slower ball speed

Post by snick » May 17th, 2019, 9:56 am

C300 Scout
Tropical Storm/Breeze
Benchmark Bowling Pro Shop
Byron

RH
PAP: 5.625" x 0
REVRATE: 360
SPEED: 17mph at release
AR: 55º
AT: 7º

User avatar
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Posts: 3452
Joined: October 25th, 2010, 11:41 pm
Location: Sun City Arizona

Re: Weak resin balls for slower ball speed

Post by kajmk » May 17th, 2019, 7:29 pm

markkuhn wrote:Folks, I'm slowly coming back after a wrist injury. It will be sometime before my ball speed comes back to where it was before the injury.
I'm looking at weaker resin pearl balls that will give me some length.
I'm talking Brunswick Rhino, Tropical Storm, the new Motiv Thrill, etcetera.
I mean, will picking any of these work okay, because they all seem to be fairly close and similar?

Thanks for your input. Much appreciated.

Mark
Mark, I hope your wrist is recovering satisfactorily.
While recovering have you worn a wrist device for protection?
What was your rehab protocol?

Just wondering -
Can you explain why your wrist injury has impacted your ball speed (not wrist action).
If you wear a wrist device and let your hand ride the ball, I would not expect your speed to be slow. The reduced wrist and arm tension could loosen your swing.

See Jim's comments on "tension" in
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14346" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Additional comments on speed by Jim pointing out the importance of foot speed and a loose swing.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10970&p=85068&hilit=Speed#p85068" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so

There should be a rule of war saying you have to see someone up close and get to know 'em before it's ok to shoot 'em

Empathize

John

vicsmyth
Member
Member
Posts: 72
Joined: March 22nd, 2014, 10:23 am

Re: Weak resin balls for slower ball speed

Post by vicsmyth » May 17th, 2019, 8:46 pm

I've owned 3 Tropical Storms (aka Tropical Breeze). But one of them cracked. A buddy of mine also had one that cracked. The coverstock seems 1/8" thinner compared to other balls. Other than that it's a great ball on dry lanes.

markkuhn
Member
Member
Posts: 68
Joined: April 25th, 2018, 4:37 pm

Re: Weak resin balls for slower ball speed

Post by markkuhn » May 26th, 2019, 1:36 am

kajmk wrote:
Mark, I hope your wrist is recovering satisfactorily.
While recovering have you worn a wrist device for protection?
What was your rehab protocol?

Just wondering -
Can you explain why your wrist injury has impacted your ball speed (not wrist action).
If you wear a wrist device and let your hand ride the ball, I would not expect your speed to be slow. The reduced wrist and arm tension could loosen your swing.

See Jim's comments on "tension" in
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14346" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Additional comments on speed by Jim pointing out the importance of foot speed and a loose swing.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10970&p=85068&hilit=Speed#p85068" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I was under a doctor's care for what was thought to be a sprain in my wrist. Since there was healing after 10 weeks, I got the green light to return. But last week the pain returned again, so I have shut myself down, pending an MRI next week. Doctor believes I have a TFCC tear.
Surgery is a possibility, but won't know more until the MRI results are in. For normal day to day functions, my wrist feels fine. It is impossible to bowl, however.
I am working now with my local PSO on the idea of switching to my left hand since I would rather not have surgery, at age 60 especially, just to return to bowling.
I truly love the game, but after reading about and listening to people who have had the surgery, it is very painful and often resulted in a permanent loss of mobility in the wrist.

User avatar
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Posts: 3452
Joined: October 25th, 2010, 11:41 pm
Location: Sun City Arizona

Re: Weak resin balls for slower ball speed

Post by kajmk » May 26th, 2019, 2:46 am

Sorry about your wrist issues.
I had to switch to left handed bowling for 1 1/2 years.
You may find breaking the game into components to be helpful.
You can practice at home using a prop in lieu of a ball.

Be patient and stick to it. You may find that you enjoy the process. Chances are, your swing will be looser.

Take care.
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so

There should be a rule of war saying you have to see someone up close and get to know 'em before it's ok to shoot 'em

Empathize

John

TomaHawk
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
Posts: 352
Joined: July 19th, 2010, 3:28 pm
Preferred Company: Hammer

Re: Weak resin balls for slower ball speed

Post by TomaHawk » May 26th, 2019, 1:54 pm

markkuhn wrote:
I was under a doctor's care for what was thought to be a sprain in my wrist. Since there was healing after 10 weeks, I got the green light to return. But last week the pain returned again, so I have shut myself down, pending an MRI next week. Doctor believes I have a TFCC tear.
Surgery is a possibility, but won't know more until the MRI results are in. For normal day to day functions, my wrist feels fine. It is impossible to bowl, however.
I am working now with my local PSO on the idea of switching to my left hand since I would rather not have surgery, at age 60 especially, just to return to bowling.
I truly love the game, but after reading about and listening to people who have had the surgery, it is very painful and often resulted in a permanent loss of mobility in the wrist.
We see a lot of injuries in people of all ages, particularly in the over 55 group. They often ask, what is the best route to avoid furthering the injury and just want to keep bowling. Unfortunately, there is no unilateral advice that would apply to every situation. However, the most important element remains within the person and what they feel the future holds for them.

Personally, the first thing I ask the person: "Are you planning to bowl on Tour?" Usually, that question renders a chuckle from the person answering it. The purpose of the question is pointed though, how serious of an athlete do you perceive yourself as being? Are you seriously competitive or just want to enjoy getting out on the lanes once in a while? Once that is out of the way, the process of getting the person into the proper equipment can begin.

If you are serious, consider surgery. There are a few competitive bowers in our area who still capable of competing at a high level after the surgery was performed. I should add, they were accomplished bowlers before they had the surgery. Yes, the surgery did limit the mobility of their wrist, but the end result was worth it to them. Plus, it there is pain, it is tolerable. One such bowler had over 50 (300's). Recently, after the surgery, he just shot another 300 along with an 800 series. We joke around saying, he had his wrist fused so he wouldn't have to think about the proper hand position anymore. It's all in fun, he's a great guy, obviously, very, very talented. Note: He now wears a very restrictive wrist apparatus.

For those with less than professionals aspirations, we suggest much weaker equipment. That usually includes reconsidering the weight and the fit. The goal is to be comfortable. If we look at it from that perspective, a person who is comfortable when bowling is more apt to perform at a higher level than one who is struggling to get the ball down the lane.

Be honest with yourself.

We have a person who, because of pain, went from #15 to #13. He had developed "horrible" habits through trying to throw a ball that was too heavy, too aggressive. He sought lessons to correct his approach. It took two years. His game had improved enough, he decided to go back to #15, we suggested mid to low end equipment. It worked! Last week, he shot the high 4 game total in a local tournament for the day!

That's living proof, anything is possible if the proper steps are taken to address your issues in a manner which suits you best.

Post Reply