Changing Span and Thumb Pitch

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

SRB442
THS Average: 220
Positive Axis Point: 4 9/16 over 1 1/8 up
Speed: 14 mph at pins
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 61
Heavy Oil Ball: Roto Grip Exotic Gem, Gem Roto Grip Helios
Medium Oil Ball: Roto Grip PBR
Light Oil Ball: Roto Grip Camo
Preferred Company: Roto Grip

Changing Span and Thumb Pitch

Post by SRB442 »

Hi,
I have been reading about the modern span and thumb pitches and being summer and no leagues I would like to experiment with it. My span and thumb have been the same for over 30 years and want to try something new as in a shorter span and less reverse in the thumb. When I lay my hand over the ball with thumb in my span goes to the first joint of my finger to the edge of the finger hole. From what I have been reading the modern grip wants it between the first and second joint of my finger and less reverse in the thumb. What are some of the advantages of this type of grip? Opinions on it? Thank You Steve
Right Handed
PAP 4 9/16 over 1 1/8 up
Tilt 13 Degrees
Axis Tilt 61 Degrees
Rev Rate 300
Speed 14 MPH at the pins

Current Arsenal Roto Grip Exotic Gem, Gem. Helios, UC2, Camo and Own it Spare ball.
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Re: Changing Span and Thumb Pitch

Post by 44boyd »

Depends how you roll the ball, harder if you’re PDW and easier if you’re up the back.
Stacy
nwohbowler
Positive Axis Point: 6 x 1
Speed: 17 foul line
Rev Rate: 440
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 70

Post by nwohbowler »

I've been thinking about this as well. The problem I have with a shorter grip is that I tend to dig my fingers in and end up with closer to a conventional grip instead of fingertip. However, I understand that shortening the grip and going zero reverse to even some forward can make it easier to not "grip" the ball and make keeping the hand relaxed easier. I have an old ball that I may take the plunge and get drilled in the modern way myself. I'll be watching this thread to see how you fair.
Right handed
Rev Rate 420s
Ball speed at release 17
Axis point 6 3/16" and 1" up
Tilt 17 degrees
Rotation 70 degrees
SRB442

Post by SRB442 »

I visited my pro shop today and we took a look at my span. He agreed it was long so I had a old Hyper Cell Skid that we put a 1 1/2" thumb slug in it and shortened my span 1/4" (from 4 1/8" to 3 7/8"). We also changed my thumb pitch from 1/4" reverse and 1/8" under to 0 reverse and 0 under. Just holding the ball felt really confortable. I have not thrown it yet but took some shots on his stub test lane and it came off great. I needed to have a balance hole plugged so will get it in a couple of days and try it out. Will post agin when I get a few games in. Steve
Right Handed
PAP 4 9/16 over 1 1/8 up
Tilt 13 Degrees
Axis Tilt 61 Degrees
Rev Rate 300
Speed 14 MPH at the pins

Current Arsenal Roto Grip Exotic Gem, Gem. Helios, UC2, Camo and Own it Spare ball.
SRB442

Post by SRB442 »

I have had chance to throw a few games with the new span/thumb pitch. I bowled on a fresh THS last night and like the way I threw it. It is less stress on my hand and clears my hand good. I have never had good luck with this ball Roto Grip Hyper Cell Slid with the layout I had on it 50 x 3.5 x 45 with a 4000 grit finish no polish. My carry seemed better if that makes sense as I left 0 10 pins. Still have to decide if I am going to commit to this and start switching over some other balls. I know when I use my spare ball with the old span it feels really long now. The ball feels really comfortable in my hand so will probably go with it. Steve
Right Handed
PAP 4 9/16 over 1 1/8 up
Tilt 13 Degrees
Axis Tilt 61 Degrees
Rev Rate 300
Speed 14 MPH at the pins