Difficulty Generating Speed Two Handed

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

RobPina1991
Preferred Company: storm

Difficulty Generating Speed Two Handed

Post by RobPina1991 »

Due to some medical issues causing a lot of swelling in my thumb, I was forced to switch to two handed bowling. I watched some instructional videos and got a urethane ball drilled as the Code Red I was throwing one handed was not controllable. At this point I seem to have a general idea of what I'm doing, in other words I don't think I look like I'm going to trip over my feet. However, I cannot seem to figure out how to get any velocity on the ball two handed. With one hand I always threw a 15lb ball about 18 mph, two handed I'm throwing a 15 lb ball 12 mph. Is there any tips or tricks I can try to get the velocity to a reasonable number?

I did notice that most two handers tend to drift left (I'm guessing to get their body out of the way so they can make a swing). I tried that and seemed to pick up a tad more mph but the radar was off so it was hard to tell.
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Re: Difficulty Generating Speed Two Handed

Post by 44boyd »

Got to do the hop step to get the momentum going.
Stacy
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Re: Difficulty Generating Speed Two Handed

Post by TonyPR »

USBC certified coach and two handed bowler here, you are in luck, three of us here at bowling chat will be attending the Two Handed Camp in a few week at Kegel, 2y2, Jim Merrell and myself, we all have experience coaching two handers. There’s a very neat video Jim did a while back on youtube:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In my opinion, the skip step may or may not help with creating speed, it’s more of a timing step to help get the body in front of the ball. Skip step or not we need to create lag, similar to when you swing a golf club, the ball should feel like it’s going back while your approach and your body are going forward. The speed comes from the transfer of energy created by the legs, not from muscling the arms as a two hander’s swing is too short to be able to create any speed by doing this. Trying to create speed with the arms is also not recommended (one or two handed) as it will actually create inaccuracy and rob you of revs and speed. Another issue might be your timing and yet another may be your hand position at release. Please post videos on the certified coaching section so we can have a look. Post rear and side videos following the guidelines in the coaching forum section and don’t get frustrated, most beginner two handers including myself struggle with speed.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent