The light came on last night!

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

b3y0nd3r
Preferred Company: motiv

The light came on last night!

Post by b3y0nd3r »

I never bowled my house on a Wed night...until last night. All I can say is wow! Let me explain.

Stats(I need to add these to my sig):
Right, one handed no thumb
12-14 mph
revs(guess) 300
169 average

Up until last night, I encounter only three oil patterns at my house:

Dry mids: This condition usually occurs when there was a huge amount of traffic that was on the lane all day. About halfway down, my ball takes off for the 7 pin. If I try to give the ball more room, a slick backend occurs and the ball doesn't grab and slides into the 6 pin.

Leagues: This is a fresh short oil pattern where the ball grabs about 20 feet before the pins. This causes my ball to hit the head pin or Brooklyn with me sometimes reaching the pocket if I muscle it.

Depleted leagues: This condition is just after two, 4 or 5 man teams completed leagues. oil is spread all over and I usually bowl my best games on these conditions. The ball will sale into the 1-3 pocket with a little effort.

Last night I decided to bowl. The oil pattern was a longer and heavier one. My Ebonite destiny pearl floated down the lane then did an "EJ Tacket" and hooked sharp into the pocket. I shot 191 200 235(not all in succession).

The guy next to me said they heavy oil on the lanes on Wed nights.

So I learned two things:

All this time I thought It was just me that was the problem, but it was me(not learning to adapt) AND the lane conditions.

I shoot great on long/heavy oil patterns.

Lastly, If you are having a bad night, that means you haven't learned to bowl on those conditions.
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Re: The light came on last night!

Post by TonyPR »

Being a rev dominant bowler you will definitely bowl best on longer and higher volume patterns. When Belmo started to appear on the spotlight he was not very good on short patterns so he practiced and improved his weaknesses.

Being a no thumb bowler you probably have more than enough rpms and 12-14 mph is just not going to match up with your rpms. I suggest you work with an open minded coach (as many will just advise you to put your thumb in) so that you can learn to increase your speed to at least 14-15 on the monitor and without much variation. Another thing you should learn to control is your axis rotation, learn to use less axis rotation to smooth outh the backend reaction when your ball reaction is too jumpy.

I coach a one handed no thumb who currently has a 196 avg, used to be above 200 last year but he got injured on his job. It can be done but proper coaching is key.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

b3, what weight ball are you using?
Have you tried experimenting with different weight house balls?

Just wondering ...
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
b3y0nd3r

Post by b3y0nd3r »

kajmk wrote:b3, what weight ball are you using?
Have you tried experimenting with different weight house balls?

Just wondering ...
I have 14,15, and 16s. I have pearls, a solid, urethane, a hybrid, and even a particle.

Since I posted this, I figured out my aim needs to be more right on certain shots. I have a few more ideas to help me get there(summer leagues start in May so I need to get consistent).

I do want to try a coach. If I can improve my speed that would change everything.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

b3, if and when you start looking, you might create a post on the forum, e.g. "Coaching in wherever".
Take care.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
b3y0nd3r

Post by b3y0nd3r »

kajmk wrote:b3, if and when you start looking, you might create a post on the forum, e.g. "Coaching in wherever".
Take care.
Ah thanks so much! This helps a lot!