Thumb problems preventing clean release

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Jochemke

Thumb problems preventing clean release

Post by Jochemke »

Hello,

One of my team mates was getting pretty consistent and having an average of 180. But although his scores were quite good, his technique was a bit strange. He was coming around the ball pretty much and even pulling the ball towards him instead of the spin direction towards the pins.

Now he has been working on fixing this and getting a solid release. Yesterday we were training together and he said that he was having problems getting a clean release. He took a photo of where his thumb/hand was hanging on to his ball.

Does anybody know what the problem might be or even better how to solve this?

snick
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
THS Average: 196
Sport Average: 180
Positive Axis Point: 5.5625" x .625 up
Speed: 17 off hand
Rev Rate: 360
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Physix
Medium Oil Ball: Storm Streetfight
Light Oil Ball: Rotogrip Hustle Pearl
Preferred Company: Rotogrip

Re: Thumb problems preventing clean release

Post by snick »

it is either a bad fit, a gripping issue, or a release technique issue.
Have a certified PSO look at the fit, and possibly a certified coach look at his delivery.
Benchmark Bowling Pro Shop
Byron

RH
PAP: 5.5625 x .625 up
REVRATE: 360
SPEED: 17mph at release
AR: 55º
AT: 17º
skfboiler
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Supernova
Medium Oil Ball: Rotorgrip Idol Cosmos
Light Oil Ball: Storm Punch Out
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by skfboiler »

I’ve been having similar problems with my thumb coming out clean the four years that I’ve been learning how to bowl. At least until last month while talking about this issue with one of my bowling friends. He told me that he puts most of the thumb pressure at the base of the thumb with the thumb nail sliding on the back of the hole. Sure enough, a week later I found this videos by JR Raymond on YouTube on this topic. Man, let me tell you my thumb has not hung up since. My revs, scores, and confidence has gone up. Watch the video and you can better than what I tried to describe. Subscribe to his channel as he has a lot of good videos on technique.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My Arsenal: Storm Supernova, Storm Absolute, Storm Phaze 3, Rotogrip Idol Cosmos, 900 Global Zen Master, and Storm Punch Out
Jochemke

Post by Jochemke »

skfboiler wrote:I’ve been having similar problems with my thumb coming out clean the four years that I’ve been learning how to bowl. At least until last month while talking about this issue with one of my bowling friends. He told me that he puts most of the thumb pressure at the base of the thumb with the thumb nail sliding on the back of the hole. Sure enough, a week later I found this videos by JR Raymond on YouTube on this topic. Man, let me tell you my thumb has not hung up since. My revs, scores, and confidence has gone up. Watch the video and you can better than what I tried to describe. Subscribe to his channel as he has a lot of good videos on technique.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He has been using this technique as a guide and since he's doing that he has troubles with his release. As he describes it: it feels like the ball is hanging on this spot (red part in the picture) and sometimes it even hurts a bit.
skfboiler
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Supernova
Medium Oil Ball: Rotorgrip Idol Cosmos
Light Oil Ball: Storm Punch Out
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by skfboiler »

Perhaps the PSO or even your friend can sandpaper that area of the thumb hole, creating a bevel. I would consult the PSO first. He/she should have a solution. Before I had my finger/thumb pitch adjusted, I develop a nerve pain issue at the base of the thumb. My PSO beveled that area which helped a lot. I even tried a product for bunions on the feet called "Bunion Guard". It is a gel that is supposed to slide over the toe to help with bunions. I slid it over my thumb and that was good temporary fix until I had my thumb hole beveled and subsequently my pitch adjusted.
Bunion Guard.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My Arsenal: Storm Supernova, Storm Absolute, Storm Phaze 3, Rotogrip Idol Cosmos, 900 Global Zen Master, and Storm Punch Out
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45

Post by JohnP »

Things to check - span (too long?), bevel (not enough?), pitch (not enough reverse or too much forward), hole size (too big?). A complete refit with a certified fitter would be good. See Mo's fitting tips in the wiki (radio button at the top right hand side of every page here). -- JohnP
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

This page at Jayhawk bowling supply "fitting tips" has some comprehensive text and illustrations.

http://www.jayhawkbowling.com/Pro_s_Cor ... tting.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
VLe
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
Speed: 17
Rev Rate: 320
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 55
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by VLe »

Everything sound a lot like a delivery issue. Timing is the key for basically everything.

Other than that. I hang up the ball in exactly the same location with too much forward combined with little left pitch (as right hander). If i add some right pitch (or substantially more left pitch) to the hole, the release becomes much more clean. Bevelling is also a key to clean release. More forward pitch usually requires more bevelling.
Right Handed
PAP 4 3/8" x 0"
60* rotation
17.5* tilt
320-360 rev rate
17mph off hand