Availability of Sport or PBA patterns in a house near you.

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Availability of Sport or PBA patterns in a house near you.

Post by kajmk »

When Sport Bowling Leagues were a new thing in the Phoenix Az metro area, some houses dressed a few lanes at the end of the house in "the Sport Pattern" for open bowling.
The desk person would ask customers if they wanted to try bowling on the pattern.
For whatever reason, that did not last long.
Personally, I liked it a lot, it was not a PBA pattern per se, but definitely made me change my line and angle of attack, substantially. I found that it made me think and be more observant because it had a lot less forgiveness. It was an eye opener and fun.

Yes I dream

[youtube][/youtube]

Perhaps if enough bowler's in an area proposed similar set ups and committed to using those lanes, it might catch on. A lot will depend on who is on the staff, whether they are themselves bowler's. The house has to get a return on the investment.

If local instructors have an interested student base and could guarantee lineage and additional use of food and beverage facilities, that could be incentive.
Local PSO and instructors could team up in such an endeavor.
This could also serve as a practice facility for high school and college teams.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Re: Availability of Sport or PBA patterns in a house near yo

Post by MegaMav »

I run Capital District Challenge League.
Attendance optional, youth eligible.
Medium difficultly oil patterns, which is what bowling needs more of considering the current house league scoring environment.
Sport is just too hard for those that have never ventured out of house shot land.

I've granted over $1500 in scholarship since the beginning in October 2017.
Many different ways to earn cash or scholarship including something new I tried next week to replace brackets.

Its called the $6 Super Strike Survivor:

http://www.cdclbowling.com/SSS.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

League website:

http://www.cdclbowling.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Several years ago, the Silver Coach here organized a 8-week "challenge" league that quickly died. There were several factors that lead to its demise, but lack of interest was primary. I believe the bowlers saw little need to experience playing on oil patterns they were not likely to encounter since everything (including tournaments) are played on house patterns here. When I can get the center to divulge its house pattern here, they are high-walled (11:1+ maybe more depending on brush condition), 40-ft patterns with total oil between 21 and 24 mL, and reverse-to-forward oil over 50%. With these house patterns, the lane wear due to lack of outside oil may be so great that they won't hold anything but a house pattern (applying oil to these worn areas may produce erratic ball motion). And, we won't even talk about the effect of lane topography from lane-to-lane.

I totally agree with others in-the-know that tournaments should never be bowled on high-ratio patterns no matter how big the temptation is to create a "high scoring" event to keep the local bowlers happy and coming back.

And, I believe a center should rotate through 2 or 3 different patterns (reduce pattern "burn in") throughout any given week, and POST what patterns are in use. Using different oil patterns targeted for different groups of bowlers (social, league, tournament, etc.) might actually reduce the amount of oil being currently used (a cost saving for the center).
MegaMav
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Post by MegaMav »

Glenn wrote: And, I believe a center should rotate through 2 or 3 different patterns (reduce pattern "burn in") throughout any given week, and POST what patterns are in use. Using different oil patterns targeted for different groups of bowlers (social, league, tournament, etc.) might actually reduce the amount of oil being currently used (a cost saving for the center).
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... ons101.pdf
vicsmyth

Post by vicsmyth »

Two out of the three houses near me in the Chicago NW suburbs offer Sports leagues. One of them it was so popular that they offered a second sport shot league. That house, owned by father and son PBA members, cycle through the popular PBA patterns and offer them at various times during the week for practice.

The other house that does not currently have a sport shot league used to put out a PBA shot on 4 lanes on Mondays and charged an extra dollar a game. I enjoyed trying out the patterns that the pros bowl on which was a very humbling experience for me. But they discontinued it after a year.
Mongo
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2" over, 1 1/2" up
Speed: 18 MPH
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 80
Preferred Company: DV8/Radical

Post by Mongo »

Nothing official at my home house, but if it's not busy, we've got about 30 patterns in our Flex and will put down a sport shot if the mechanic has time.

Also, there's a house about 30 minutes from here that runs a summer sport Eliminator series (3 games qualifying, then cut top 1/2 of qualifiers until there's a winner).

Given the fact I feel like I'm the black hole of bowling, I feel fortunate to have at least 2 houses willing to put out non-China.
USBC Silver Certified Coach
JMerrell wrote:Mongo,
We need to work on getting that teddy bear body of yours more open throughout the approach.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Hi Mongo, I'm afraid there are many black holes in the universe of bowling ...
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John