Board index » General Forums » General Bowling

Post subject: Anyone bowl a pro-Am?
 Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:43 am Post Number: #1 Post

Reputation Power: 1
I'm going to be bowling in a PWBA pro am and was wondering how the lanes are generally conditioned for pro-ams? Is it the same pattern they use for the tournament or is something like a THS put down?

Just wondering.

Post subject: Re: Anyone bowl a pro-Am?
 Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:12 pm Post Number: #2 Post
Trusted Source

Reputation Power: 3
I bowled a few Sr. PBA pro-ams about 15 years ago. They used a THS and no-tap format, just for fun. The pro's rotated lanes so you got to bowl with three different ones. -- JohnP

Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:16 pm Post Number: #3 Post
Certified Coach

Reputation Power: 7
I've bowled a few.
PBA, Sr. PBA LPBA.
Pros are folks just like us, some more gregarious than others, some more helpful than others. I enjoyed every one.
Formats were occasionally automatic strikes in frames 3, 6, and 9.

Bowled with a few legends. Can also be fun to watch other squads.

Enjoy!

There should be a rule of war saying you have to see someone up close and get to know 'em before it's ok to shoot 'em.

Desiderata

John

Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:01 pm Post Number: #4 Post

I bowled in one last month. Like Kajmk said, some Pros are more helpful and others. I have bowled in a Pro-Am Senior Classic for the last few years, and I really enjoy getting a little face time with the Pros. This year we bowled on the PBA tournament pattern rather than the House Pattern, and everyone thought this was a great idea/change. It was a 9-pin no-tap format, but I enjoy going for broke and play it like scratch. Us amateurs liked the opportunity to play on the competitive pattern, and the Pros liked it because it gave them added time for practice. I had a great Pro in the 1st game who treated us like we were his team - gave us tips and support throughout the game. I did much better with his input. The next two Pros were not as helpful, but were supportive, and they were great bowlers (300 games).

Although I did very well, I feel like I could have done better with some advice on what ball choices would have made sense at this house and oil pattern before I made the trip. I asked the local center if they would set up a pair of lanes with the PBA pattern for me to practice, but they couldn't be bothered. Without that help, I made my best guess on an arsenal. I got lucky on my first game ball choice and with the Pro's help -I bowled a 235 (mostly true strikes), but when the lanes transitioned in games 2 and 3, I hadn't made as good a choice in equipment as I might (everyone seemed to move in with shinier equipment - my options were a little too aggressive).

However, I did well, and I thoroughly enjoy interacting with the Pros. It is always a great experience to watch a legend or two bowl.

Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:19 am Post Number: #5 Post

My son has bowled a couple, always house shot, 9 pin no-tap. Pros rotate through every 5 frames. He won the last one he did. Won an autographed mini ball signed by Belmo and EJ. Shot 865. He found the pocket and sat there the entire time.

They are a blast. Have fun and enjoy yourself.

Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:24 pm Post Number: #6 Post

I bowled in 3 the past 3-4 years.

A PBA pro am that followed the pros practice session so we got a burned out Cheetah pattern.

A PWBA pro am that was a fresh house shot.

A PBA50 pro am that followed the pros practice session so we got a burned out Wolf pattern.

In each case it was handicap (USBC verified or scratch if not a USBC league bowler) and no tap. And it was fun.

The pros just bowl for fun. You get a different pro each of the 3 games you bowl. Some of the pros are class acts and love to interact with bowling fans, to others it was a mandatory chore.

There are cash prizes but you need to bowl 800+ (with handicap) to have any chance of cashing. (Since I don't have a verifiable average I bowl scratch. At one of them I shot 750 and was in the middle of the pack.)

Board index » General Forums » General Bowling