Of Dual Patterns and Practice Gambits

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Of Dual Patterns and Practice Gambits

Post by kajmk »

Norm Dukes recent triumph on a Dual Pattern called this old practice gambit to mind.

"Duke, as he did in Indianapolis, managed the dual lane condition challenge like a hall of famer.

“On the dual pattern situation, you look across the center and see 150, 160 games everywhere,” he said. “You can get a good game if you get a good start, but for the most part, it’s seven games of managing safely and trying to find something. To get done with the round and see myself in the lead, man, that’s something.”

I recall an old practice routine:
Set up a line for each ball you brought.
4 balls 4 games, as if each ball was a person.
You will bowl concurrent games.
This will force you to think and if necessary grind out a score.
Back in the day, I did this every now and then.
It can be fun, playing 4 to 8 ways to the pocket.
It will keep your mind on what you are doing.
Added bonus, more spare practice.
You may also meet new people who wonder just what the hell you are doing. :lol:

THIS FROM DAVE FERRARO:
Use the wrong ball.
For example learn a straight ball with a hooking ball, learn a hook with a plastic ball.

Some successful people enjoy and welcome challenge.
Luck favors those who are prepared.

Thoughts , comments, suggestions.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Re: Of Dual Patterns and Practice Gambits

Post by krava »

Comments:
I don't see what is so hard about it. It shouldn't be any harder then playing whatever shot is on whatever lane. (this is not saying that 1 particular shot is easier) If it is some PBA shot then it will be hard no matter what it is. You just play whatever shot like your suppose to play then play the other shot like you are suppose to there. You just find where you are supppose to play on that lane and remember and just shoot it every 2nd shot. I didn't watch it on tv so I don't know what it is like. I don't see how people got 150's and 160s though unless the shot was fried on both lanes or 1 lane and there was no shot. Use plastic balls to pick up the spares and throw it straight. It could be extremely hard to pick up spares through a hook on 2 different conditions that you don't know where the ball might jump or end up at. One thing could be hard. If you bowl on 2 different lane conditions and then alternate every game to a pair of lanes and don't get any practice shots then I can definetely see this happening. I haven't ever shot on anything like that but I welcome it.

If I am on a broken down house shot and I am doing 1 step drills and want a change, I will take the ball throw the ball straight down 4 or 5 out to 1 or 2 and then take a shot 3rd arrow out to 12 and back in. Then I alternate each shot with the same ball, 1 inside 5 and then 1 3rd arrow.

I also played a game on a house shot last week with just a plastic ball. I went to dallas to get a ball today, only had that one ball and the ball was way too strong for the lane. I had to play 6 boards left with the feet and 3 boards left of target along with 2 boards right of the breakpoint I am used to playing.

I have to bowl tomorrow with only that 1 ball because all the others are being redrilled, so I have to find a line with it no matter where it is. I have to find something to use for a spare ball and I don't have plastic and only 1 ball I have right now fits correctly.

A very difficult thing would be bringing the wrong ball for a given lane condition. For instance take a heavy oil long pattern and use a light oil reactive ball. Or take a short oil pattern and bring a heavy oil ball. I don't think playing like that is beneficial because you can't really get the ball in the correct ball phase by bringing the wrong equipment for that pattern. The heavy oil ball will burn out too soon, and the light oil ball will skid too far.

One idea is for a normal sort of used house shot or even a fresh house shot. Grab 2 balls that are not similar in reaction to each other. If your doing 2 lanes and 1 game. Pick 1 ball for the left side and 1 ball for the right side and only use those 2 balls. You can use your spare ball if you have one on each lane if you throw plastic. If you hook then you can only use the ball you have decided on, on that side. It is still an easy house shot though and not some hard pattern like on tv.

I have done what you have done before. I set up 3 games. I for a ball inside of 5, another with a ball on the track and then another ball 3rd arrow. I have to play 3 different lines with 3 different balls. The crazy thing was that neither line really dominated the score, they were all pretty close. You put on the monitor Inside , 2nd arrow, Outside as the names of the people bowling and then 3 games at the same time. I wouldn't try a 4th one because I wouldn't know where to throw that at. Maybe take plastic and only use it. You could name that one Plastic and then throw \ toward the pocket.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

krava, perhaps I was not clear, those 150's and 160's were bowled in a PBA event, the quote is by Norm Duke.

Presumably the bowler's that were struggling were all pretty good.
Probably average 240+ on house shots. Some pretty good bowler's shot some low scores, I'd conclude the degree of difficulty was high.

Here's the article I pulled that quote from.
https://www.pba.com/articles/Trouble-Fr ... Qualifying" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Many moons ago I watched match play and finals at the U.S. Open held in Phoenix Az.
It was a unique set up as both men and women split the house.
While it was not dual pattern, it was like bowling on top of an an aframe roof, miss a tiny bit and tough noogies. Ergo it was tough, low ratio. I saw elite multi titled hall of fame bowler's struggle. Saw tears, kicked returns. Names withheld out of respect.
Watched a very accurate bowler I knew bowl ( PBA and University team was collegiate bowler of the year).
He had a silver dollar to hit 40+ feet down the lane, miss left or right or break too early or late and he was S.O.L. and is dammed accurate.

We don't get that type of challenge.

That aframe roof analogy is something I heard Richie Allen say.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
nwohbowler
Positive Axis Point: 6 x 1
Speed: 17 foul line
Rev Rate: 440
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 70

Post by nwohbowler »

I thought about this post today because I just signed up for a dual pattern tournament next month. I'm not too knowledgeable about oil patterns but these look like a pretty drastic difference in how they should play:
Long = 48 ft 1.9 to 1 @ 30ML volume
Short = 2.2 to 1 @ 31ML volume

The idea of practicing by using a heavy hook ball and a light hook ball to simulate how different the shots will be is intriguing, but I'm not sure how much it would really help. Isn't it just as good to practice normally and focus on being as accurate and consistent as possible?
Right handed
Rev Rate 420s
Ball speed at release 17
Axis point 6 3/16" and 1" up
Tilt 17 degrees
Rotation 70 degrees
b3y0nd3r
Preferred Company: motiv

Post by b3y0nd3r »

The problem is not so much the lane conditions, it's forcing yourself out of your comfort zone to make adjustments. Too many times I hear that the lanes broke down, that carry down is prevalent, too many people using plastic or urethane, or whatever else.

Now there are times where you find a groove, and strikes seem automatic.That is a wonderful feeling, but not the norm. Learn adjustments, memorize and utilize various skills. Have a good selection of balls to help navigate changing conditions AND KNOW WHEN TO USE THEM.

If you can grab a house ball off the rack and shoot close to your average every single time, then you are on the right track in regards to having the skills to dominate just about any condition.

Sometimes during practice, I will have some punks call me out because I am using top notch equipment and that is why I am bowling so well. That's when I go and grab a 10 lbs plastic off the house rack and shoot four strikes in a row to shut them down.
krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Post by krava »

I can't find a house ball that fits. I used plastic last Tuesday shot 200 then 213. Had 4 in a row with 213 and had a split I think somewhere in that game. Then the time before that shot 216 with a chop miss and then shot 165 with 2 splits and some kind of miss and then back again to 203 or something. Tuesday was using 16lb ball 15 years old that has the wrong span on it (too long) using 0 degree rotation straight up the back. Then the time before was using my normal spare ball on fried house shot lane with 0 rotation up the back. 4 in a row with plastic is hard, unless there is a little hook helping out which I haven't had the last 2 times I used just plastic. I am working on spares throwing straight and plastic with almost every spare left. I leave very very few 10 pins throwing the ball \ direction toward the pins from the right side.