Bowling periodicals, BTM, etc (pre digital)

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Bowling periodicals, BTM, etc (pre digital)

Post by kajmk »

For those who subscribed to any bowling periodical anywhere in the world.
Have you retained any of the hard copy versions?

Just curious.

Thanks in advance for your input.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
deanchamp
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
THS Average: 220

Re: Bowling periodicals, BTM, etc (pre digital)

Post by deanchamp »

Hi John, I got rid of the few magazines I bought, but I've got a PDF version for BTM editions from Sept 09 to Oct 2013, plus the Best of BTM Vol 1 and 2 on PDF, which has articles from July 1996 to June 2004. I still read them as there is some timeless information in some of the articles.

Dean
USBC Silver Level Coach
BCU Graduate - Mastery of Layouts
BTM contributor
RobMautner
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Preferred Company: No Preference

Post by RobMautner »

I've got all of the BTM mags from 2007 when I started writing for them until they stopped printing. Just FYI, I think that the website is a much more effective (and reasonably priced) alternative to the old printed version... it also frees up a lot of shelf space! LOL
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

I have almost all the BTM issues except just a few of the very first ones and the last 2 or 3.

I also have a bunch of the ABC and USBC magazines from when I first joined the ABC
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
guruU2
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by guruU2 »

Hi John-
I have all the printed/hard copies of BOWLING THIS MONTH. I have 25 years of the BOWLERS JOURNAL. In addition I have all of Denny Torgerson's newsletters as well as John O'Dell's newsletters. Since I am old (school), I tend to like reading paper and not a screen.
-Gary Parsons
If one does not know one's product, one can not manage nor promote the product one does not know.
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Very interesting reading. I generally use a combination of the manufacturer's bowling ball tech sheet, BTM, and BJI with a sprinkling of YouTube videos. The YouTube videos are usually not very helpful to me, but I enjoy viewing them.

I like BTM for the more in-depth analysis using differing bowler styles and lane conditions where they suggest the kinds of lane conditions and surfaces work best. For comparative analysis, BTM uses a technique for determining bowling ball length ratings using “special” lane patterns that I question for my own needs. And, you would get much longer skid figures if you tested a bowling ball on your league or tournament shot.

I like the BJI annual Bowling Ball Guides, and reference every one on occasion. The later guides seems to have a little more information in the review section than found in the earlier guides.

Initially, I use the data found in BTM to set up a spreadsheet that allows me to sort my arsenal into 7 categories of ball motion (I use the skid and hook ratings, then torque). This gives me a sense of how the bowling balls should theoretically play, and what holes/overlap I have in my arsenal.

In my arsenal of 12 bowling balls, the data from BTM and BJI generally agree, except...
What I found in my arsenal is that BTM and BJI give similar results for all my SYM bowling balls, but not for my ASYM bowling balls. For the ASYM bowling balls, I go to the BJI data and resort these bowling balls to give me results that reflect what I actually see in play. This also gives me some sense of what surface to start with before making changes for specific conditions. Of course, there is always one or two bowling balls that just don't seem play for me like the numbers would suggest.

So, my question is: Do you use this info from BTM and BJI to organize your bowling ball arsenal in any way?
Bowling Is More Art Than Science
"Glenn is not an expert..."