My first official tornament.

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

b3y0nd3r
Preferred Company: motiv

My first official tornament.

Post by b3y0nd3r »

It was a five man team officially sanctioned USBC event. Bottom line, I flubbed it. I can't believe what happened. I felt so bad like I let the whole team down.

I am embarrassed to post these scores: 130 169 146

I had the tools and the ability so what happened? Well, I was so nervous that I forgot everything. Then I was so embarrassed by the results I forgot what I just did. How do I know this? Because the last frame of the last game, all the pressure came off and I knew what to do and threw 3 strikes(this was more strikes then the last two games combined).

This blankness I get where I go to the approach and just throw the ball is my real issue. I am sure that it is all in my head because my practice(when lane conditions have oil) are fantastic with scores in the 200s.

I just expect to get up there during leagues and strike(without thinking).

I have to learn how to focus and how I felt the last frame of the last game is how I need to feel throughout. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
boomer
THS Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 6 3/16 x 1/2 up
Speed: 13.8 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 230
Preferred Company: Storm (it smells pretty)

Re: My first official tornament.

Post by boomer »

My thoughts?

Exactly. I think most of us have been right there with you.

What I did is to a: talk with my teammates. Ask them to slow me down and help me focus. If you're new to tourneys and they've got some experience, that can really help keep you loose. You can also use their eyes - don't be too proud to ask them, "what the bloody heck am I doing???" and then LISTEN. That helped me - still does.

and b: don't stop. don't get discouraged. You learned something! Use it. Remember it.

Now - I take a small notebook where I can scribble notes because I KNOW I'm too nervous or wound up to actually remember where I was, what my target was, and (more importantly) what happened - so I jot it down in my own little shorthand. I know that has taken a lot of pressure off . . .
krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Post by krava »

The last tournament I went to, USBC nationals 2017 I some how shot I think 123 I have no idea how that happened myself. I can't even remember what happened that game. The first time I put the national pattern down on the bowling alley before this, I shot some low scores like that.

I have been stressed out for a few weeks now and stressed now trying to figure if I want to go to Nationals or not. if I go I get stuck in regular division for singles and then standard for the other 2. Money is a little tight and I don't want to go and blow $1000 and not get anything out of it. This might be the last time I go for a long time until Houston. I am dealing with I don't see a way of getting anything much out of this because this and the bowlers Journal are being dominated by Pro's. Sean rash is 3rd place. The I didn't know who Kurt Pilon was until I looked it up on youtube and he is 2nd. Then the 1st place guy I believe is also a pro that bowls in tournaments but not well known. Then if you look at the bowlers journal, you have Kyle Sherman in like 5th place and then someone almost 100 pins ahead of him. How are you suppose to shoot over 832 if you haven't ever done it before?

Go to bowl.com and look up walter Williams Florida in the individual standings in the open championships. I did that because something popped up on my computer showing me "athletes that dominated lesser known sports" I don't think he has shot 3 600+s in the tournament yet and shot several upper 500s.

I don't know if you are the same person that said they picked up a plastic ball and threw 4 in a row after someone said that you have expensive equipment or not. But if you are just think about what you can do.

just remember you can do this and this and this and this etc.
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Post by MegaMav »

krava wrote:How are you suppose to shoot over 832 if you haven't ever done it before?
You work your ass off, practicing on those conditions and listen to good coaching advice, like you've gotten here from Jim and squandered.

Stop your complaining. You're a big fish in a small pond with the league scores you've shown.
Time to put the big boy pants on and face reality if you want an honest assessment of true ability.
Your church league isnt a litmus test of that, I can guarantee it.

From this point forward, each time you bellyache, im docking you 10 reputation points.
When we hit -100, im banning you. I've had enough of the toxic whining from you, we all hear it enough at our centers.
I dont want to read it on here, im sure others dont either.
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45

Post by JohnP »

Krava - I wouldn't go to nationals to make money. Go to have a good time and enjoy conditions you don't usually face. It's a big bonus if you get any money at all back. -- JohnP
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

JohnP wrote:Krava - I wouldn't go to nationals to make money. Go to have a good time and enjoy conditions you don't usually face. It's a big bonus if you get any money at all back. -- JohnP

Wisdom!

B3, no shame, no reason to beat yourself up.
The tougher the condition, the more it demands precision. You just need to sharpen the sword. We can't dial up a condition, but we can try to come up with practice routines that are increasingly challenging.
Accuracy drills are fairly easy to invent, for example, practice hitting each pin in the front rack, then the gaps between them, all in all there are 13. Plot stance board, foul line lay down point, points along the way, start with a straight ball to groove the lines, listen to your body and watch the results.
Speed control is critical in today's environment, but in truth speed control has always been a great divide in performance.
Earl Anthony wrote that he practiced 300 games a week shadow bowling. He had many sessions where his wife would monitor his speed with a stop watch. He would tell her the time he wanted and she would report. Earls record is a product of his talent, hard/smart work, and dedication.
We all can't afford 300 games a week, he worked at a center, the owner let him shadow bowl. He worked hard because by his own words, he flopped in his first attempts making it in the PBA.

Would be runners, train and work up to greater distances. No one says today I will be a Marathon runner.

Always practice with a PAP tracer on your ball, observe your balls motion on the lane trying to see it transition from skid, to hook, to roll.
Post EVERY shot you ever make every place every time, watch your ball, note how it looks going through the pins and where it falls into the pit.

Practice with a buddy another set of eyes helps.

The mental side, try some of Dr. Dean Hinitz's work.
We have a list of resources on the forum wiki.

Remember the good advice already rendered and as JohnP said, "Enjoy the experience"
I've had the good fortune to be on teams with a very talented bowler, he had a very realistic and healthy attitude as John conveyed. He made a buck or two, but more often made 0.
But he enjoyed it and goes every year.
Bowl like nobodies watching!
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
b3y0nd3r

Post by b3y0nd3r »

Thanks for all the replies!

Great tips which I will try to incorporate into my practice routines!

I bowl about 20 games a week which is all I can afford ATM. I watch and read as much bowling material as I can absorb. I am on my 12th bowling ball(just bought one on Sunday 4/14) and this is all been since 10/2018.

I can identify my issues:

Blanking of my mind during competition(leagues).
Slow ball speed. 12-14 mph
Not making adjustments quickly enough
Inconsistent release

I am working hard to eliminate these issues and know that it will take time. I also know that they can't all be solved online.

I read these forums everyday so I always am grateful for any help.
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Post by 44boyd »

When did you start bowling? October 2018? If that’s when you just started buying equipment, stop. If you have those types of funds, get a coach and figure out how you want to throw the ball. Figure the hard stuff out first, your specs might change 2-3 times as you figure things out. Then when you’re happy, Eric on here can give custom layouts for your equipment to fit your needs.
Stacy
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

As Stacy advised, find and work with a good instructor, one on one.
Ask around your area to find a coach that gets results.
The coach does not have to be a USBC certified coach.
Base your decision on the Coachs track record, the more opinions you get the better.

On those 20 games, ideally you should have a practice plan, a coach will help with that.
Here is one every bowler should do, it's called Low Ball.

[youtube][/youtube]

Quick comment on the brain freeze. Do your planning and analysis in the settee area, once you step up on the approach, do your Pre-Shot routine and TRUST your body to bowl, and always, POST your shot.

Also, don't be shy about posting videos of yourself in the Certified Coachs Forum for Analysis.
Instructions for video recording
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... e_Coaching" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A Pre-Shot routine a must.
It helps your physical and mental game.
Here is a germane video set.

[youtube][/youtube]

Additionally, search for Dean Hinitz on YouTube
You will find a few presentations by Dr Dean in links within the following thread.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=13974&hilit=World" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
b3y0nd3r

Post by b3y0nd3r »

44boyd wrote:When did you start bowling? October 2018? If that’s when you just started buying equipment, stop. If you have those types of funds, get a coach and figure out how you want to throw the ball. Figure the hard stuff out first, your specs might change 2-3 times as you figure things out. Then when you’re happy, Eric on here can give custom layouts for your equipment to fit your needs.
I just got back into bowling on 10/2018. I bowled back to back summer/fall leagues for years from the 90s to the early 2000s and carried a 189 average.

The "Brain freeze" is more pressure related as in practice, I don't experience it at all. It is something I just have to overcome.

As for ball specs, I don't wish to get too deep in discussion about that. As it stands, It may have been a costly process, but I feel I will have what I need and be able to use what I have.

Getting a coach is an idea I need to think about. I plan on posting videos quite soon.
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Post by 44boyd »

Ok that’s fine, 12 balls in 6 months is a bit much. Just making sure you’re not throwing a new ball against the wall and hoping it sticks lol. Repetition eliminates the brain freeze, so practice the way you play in competition. Wipe the ball, get lined up, breathe and go.
Stacy
sportcoupe
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by sportcoupe »

The thing that helped me the most: Sit back and watch. Observe some bowlers that you consider "good" that have a similar style to your own. Look at how they react and/or adjust after making a bad shot. Pay attention to ball motion. Pay attention to breakpoints.

The next thing that I feel is helpful is seek competition. I'm fortunate to be able to bowl in a league that awards points for head to head and team scores. Do your job and beat the guy across from you. Do your job to help your teammates beat their guy. For me, this is training to condition myself to keep a clearer head for when I bowl tournaments.

I still have bad games... and bad tournaments. But now I know why, so I can work to fix it.