Lane Transition

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

SRB442
THS Average: 220
Positive Axis Point: 4 9/16 over 1 1/8 up
Speed: 14 mph at pins
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 61
Heavy Oil Ball: Roto Grip Exotic Gem, Gem Roto Grip Helios
Medium Oil Ball: Roto Grip PBR
Light Oil Ball: Roto Grip Camo
Preferred Company: Roto Grip

Lane Transition

Post by SRB442 »

Hi All,
The last 2 nights in league play I have shot real good the first 2 games and fall apart the 3rd game. I went 245,279,187 one night and 258,275,161 last night. Can the lanes change that much or am I just not throwing it well? I always move in a couple boards the third game and seem to be hitting my spot within a board or 2. These are THS in 2 different houses. I use a strong asymmetrical ball (Halo Pearl) I just got and maybe need to change to something weaker the third game. Its just hard to believe I go from throwing the last 9 flush and the lanes change that much the third game. It's just been a little frustrating the last 2 nights. Steve
Right Handed
PAP 4 9/16 over 1 1/8 up
Tilt 13 Degrees
Axis Tilt 61 Degrees
Rev Rate 300
Speed 14 MPH at the pins

Current Arsenal Roto Grip Exotic Gem, Gem. Helios, UC2, Camo and Own it Spare ball.
nwohbowler
Positive Axis Point: 6 x 1
Speed: 17 foul line
Rev Rate: 440
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 70

Re: Lane Transition

Post by nwohbowler »

SRB442 wrote:Hi All,
The last 2 nights in league play I have shot real good the first 2 games and fall apart the 3rd game. I went 245,279,187 one night and 258,275,161 last night. Can the lanes change that much or am I just not throwing it well? I always move in a couple boards the third game and seem to be hitting my spot within a board or 2. These are THS in 2 different houses. I use a strong asymmetrical ball (Halo Pearl) I just got and maybe need to change to something weaker the third game. Its just hard to believe I go from throwing the last 9 flush and the lanes change that much the third game. It's just been a little frustrating the last 2 nights. Steve
What happens the third game? Do you have trouble keeping it in the pocket or do you start having weak reactions? From what I understand, with asymmentrical balls, the can burn up early and lose energy causing them to finish weak if the lanes dry out too much. If that's the case, switching over to a symmetrical ball for the 3rd game may work better. That's my not so knowledgeable suggestion, hopefully someone else will be more helpful.
Right handed
Rev Rate 420s
Ball speed at release 17
Axis point 6 3/16" and 1" up
Tilt 17 degrees
Rotation 70 degrees
RobMautner
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Preferred Company: No Preference

Post by RobMautner »

If you usually move a couple of boards for the third game, then you are probably a game and a half late. Transition happens very quickly with modern balls; every ball that goes down the lane sucks up some oil. You can't just look at your shot to see what's happening. You need to be aware of where everyone on your pair is playing. If someone is just to the left of you, when your line dries up you may have to move five or six balls rather than two.
boomer
THS Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 6 3/16 x 1/2 up
Speed: 13.8 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 230
Preferred Company: Storm (it smells pretty)

Post by boomer »

Remember, you MUST listen to the lanes. Don't worry so much about how much you typically move or have a set move point (not necessarily a bad idea, but use it as a rule of thumb, not a hard-and-fast rule) - worry about what the lane is telling you.

If you're alone on the lanes - they're going to tell you something and it will be slow.
If you're with your team on the lanes playing the same equipment - it's likely going to be similar to other times - as long as the lanes are conditioned the same etc.

But also look at who you're bowling against.

Cranker/2-handed? Look at a burned up line that you might be crossing twice. This always causes me grief and I have to work around them and/or try to use their friction.

Eurethane rolling opponent? Watch the oil MOVE instead of get soaked up.

Bunch of straight shooters - some up the middle, some from the corner? Yeah - who bloody well knows! LOL

Everything can change what the lanes tell you - some more than others - but the point is you have to listen.

E.G. This week's Monday league - the machine LOADED up our lanes. Outside was OOB completely. This is very strange to us - we're typically very dry. I found a line in first game (took me half the game so ended up with 202, after 3 splits in the first 5 frames) but that line was very tight, and the 2-hander I was bowling against totally tore it up so my second game was then spent trying to find out what the lanes were telling me - figured it out 9 frames later and with my never-used most aggressive ball - finished at 169, but hit all three in the 10th. Now we were talking the same language, the lane and I, and I went 246 third game with one washout (converted) and a few single-pin spares.

COMPLETELY different than typical, for us, and the 2-hander really put some static in the mess so it took a while for me to get on the same wavelength as the lanes. . . but that's my point. I actually grabbed my phone and started taking notes - 22-10 -brooklyn; 26-10 high strike, move; 27.5-12 flush - that type of thing. Use your own shorthand. :) LISTEN.
SRB442

Post by SRB442 »

Thanks for the input guys. the 187 game was 4 ring tens,4 pin and 4 strikes. the 161 after thinking about it I made some bad shots 2 flat tens and 1 ring ten. So still confused a little.

I watch whos throwing where and what all night. All reactive and only one was inside of me as I typically play in. Just more learning to do. Steve
Right Handed
PAP 4 9/16 over 1 1/8 up
Tilt 13 Degrees
Axis Tilt 61 Degrees
Rev Rate 300
Speed 14 MPH at the pins

Current Arsenal Roto Grip Exotic Gem, Gem. Helios, UC2, Camo and Own it Spare ball.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

As a visual companion to the advice and information already rendered above.

Norm Duke
At about 5:08 he illustrates a hypothetical scenario sharing the lane with other bowler's.
[youtube][/youtube]

This from Jason Doust (this is on the wiki)
[youtube][/youtube]

Another variable, this topic by MegaMav, "What Tarrytown looks like".
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14173&hilit=Carrydown" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
b3y0nd3r
Preferred Company: motiv

Post by b3y0nd3r »

I believe that you are getting tired in your last game and might also be losing focus. A ringing/flat ten is a sure sign your are coming in light which is a sign of fatigue(IMO). Trying moving forward on the approach a half inch or an inch.
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Boy, do I know the feeling.
I bowl on high-walled, drier, house conditions in two houses where one is synthetic and the other is a wood/syn hybrid.
Right now, we are going through weather changes - cool and drier one day, and warmer and rainy the next. One center uses an oil that seems to be particularly sensitive to humidity. And, although the center manager swears they put down the same pattern all the time; it will seem slicker some nights and drier on others to the point that it is a crap shoot on which balls to bring.
Add to this the team make-ups. Last week on 5-man teams when the lanes seems slicker, I had a left-handed urethane bowler, a right-handed urethane bowler, and a number of plastic ball shooters throwing straight up between 15 and 20 boards -- scoring was a mess.
This week the lanes seemed drier but the teams were primarily plastic ball shooters straight up the middle. I gave up and used a plastic ball shooting from the corner straight into the pocket, and managed to keep my scores above 200 - what a mess.
The one league where I have the most trouble with team make-up is a kinda of social league, and I should get over trying to do more than just have fun - not score.
SRB442

Post by SRB442 »

Thanks for the video and suggestions. Norm makes good points and I try to anticipate what the lanes are doing. If I see the better players leaving 4 pins or spits and move off of them or if I leave a 4. I could be getting tired but don't feel tired. Focus..maybe. I have already moved up a foot on the approach this year. I have been concentrating on keeping my ball speed up which helps. I may need to move in further and keep the ball in more. Will see what happens tonight. Steve
Right Handed
PAP 4 9/16 over 1 1/8 up
Tilt 13 Degrees
Axis Tilt 61 Degrees
Rev Rate 300
Speed 14 MPH at the pins

kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Said Glenn - I gave up and used a plastic ball shooting from the corner straight into the pocket, and managed to keep my scores above 200 - what a mess.
Good move in my opinion. I'll bet you were one of the higher scorers too.
First objective is win the match. At the end of the event or season, it's the Wins and Losses that matter. The scores are nice, but secondary and relative.

I was never very good and whenever I found myself struggling, I took the route you did.
Just Win!

Hopefully, if you are tired, it's after a long day and not the bowling per se.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
boomer
THS Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 6 3/16 x 1/2 up
Speed: 13.8 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 230
Preferred Company: Storm (it smells pretty)

Post by boomer »

Glenn wrote:Boy, do I know the feeling.
I bowl on high-walled, drier, house conditions in two houses where one is synthetic and the other is a wood/syn hybrid.
Right now, we are going through weather changes - cool and drier one day, and warmer and rainy the next. One center uses an oil that seems to be particularly sensitive to humidity. And, although the center manager swears they put down the same pattern all the time; it will seem slicker some nights and drier on others to the point that it is a crap shoot on which balls to bring.
Add to this the team make-ups. Last week on 5-man teams when the lanes seems slicker, I had a left-handed urethane bowler, a right-handed urethane bowler, and a number of plastic ball shooters throwing straight up between 15 and 20 boards -- scoring was a mess.
This week the lanes seemed drier but the teams were primarily plastic ball shooters straight up the middle. I gave up and used a plastic ball shooting from the corner straight into the pocket, and managed to keep my scores above 200 - what a mess.
The one league where I have the most trouble with team make-up is a kinda of social league, and I should get over trying to do more than just have fun - not score.
Don't get down on yourself. To me, scoring IS fun! :)

For the drier lane, you may need a polished ball. That's typically (TYPICALLY) what I have to use at my house. There have been multiple times I put in much more roll and set it down at about 5, crossed maybe 7 and let it roll itself into the pocket. Just too much going on - that team had two 2-handers and a cranker who put in SO much of a dry spot that I had to roll across it. (that team is bloody brilliant - not complaining at ALL) But mostly I use my polished ball, set it down about 12, cross 10 out to about 7 and then in. Fairly straight line, really. Seems to get around the plastic straight-shooters.

To me, the puzzle is half the fun - when I can figure it out! LOL When I start talking to myself. . . heh heh