2019 USBC OC - Observations From Those Who Have Bowled

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

boomer
THS Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 6 3/16 x 1/2 up
Speed: 13.8 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 230
Preferred Company: Storm (it smells pretty)

Re: 2019 USBC OC - Observations From Those Who Have Bowled

Post by boomer »

Definitely make your reservation with Southpoint via the Bowl.com website. You get a discount. Unfortunately you're reserving last minute so the discount may not be worth much, but at least give it a shot.
krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Post by krava »

I called southpointe several times the only room available for I think either Friday or Saturday one of them was a $400+ room and then another day it was $200+ then it goes down to $65 on sunday. I was given only 1 day advance notice and couldn't get everything in place.

boomer: I put that pattern down again. Bowled a few games yesterday on it and then I was told 2 people bowled on one of the lanes and then 4 on the other before I could get back on it. I ran into the same thing that you did. I had the team 2015 on it. The ball didn't read the midlane at all. Mostly all skid and not much hook. had the worst splits I ever seen if I got the ball to the right. I didn't have the proper gritt for one but the only thing that could be done is move left throw close the pocket and hope to get something.
TomaHawk
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by TomaHawk »

We put a practice shot out that plays very similar to the Nationals. The bowlers with lower rev rates / softer releases can play outside and up the lane. The bowlers with stronger releases can play deep. Under no circumstance can a bowler just "throw" the ball to the right, it will not come back.

There does not appear to be a ball that can overcome the condition. The ability to execute the approach comfortably and calmly is what matters most.
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Post by 44boyd »

Maybe this can help

[youtube][/youtube]
Stacy
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

I watched that a few hours before you put that up. I learned from experience that I need a heavy oil symmetric ball to start out with on a long pattern. I guess asymmetric burn up having to go down lane too far?

I got picked up by a team by chance today. They called 3pm today and we bowl Monday 11am and Tuesday at 2:30. Once I get back from this going to go back to the basics (drills). I watched video I took of practice and it was horrible. The ball was 12-15" from my foot.
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Post by 44boyd »

Why are you getting frustrated by the way you’ve always bowled? Focus on making shots and have fun.
Stacy
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

I just got done with it and this is what I will say about it. I went in 2017. I also went this year. I also put the pattern down from 2016 down. To me the lanes played the same on each of these. (in terms of double/singles and team). Team we had an out of bounds to the right of 8. In double and singles we had out of bounds right of 10. Out of bounds means that if the ball is going in a straight up the board shot there or to the right it won't come back no matter how you throw the ball. If you did like one guy we had, and angle the ball \ way. He hit 4-5 and then angled toward the pocket in and you can do that.

For the question: Were the lanes hooking? I didn't get any hook out of any ball if I was right of the out of bounds. Usually I stand at 27 throw across 10 to 8 and in. For this I had to stand 23 throw straight up the 10 board (double and singles) if I threw 10 and hit 11 it went Brooklyn. If I hit 10 and then 9 I would probably leave a nasty split. Most of the time I missed 10 and went straight up 8 and left the 1 2 … a lot of times. I did get the ball to hook 2nd game in the middle with singles (when I mean hook, I mean I could throw it slightly to the right). I first moved to 25 and hit 11 to 10 and in. I finally ended up at 34 and 13 out to 10 and in for the best shot I threw which was the last ball in singles.

For other people: I saw someone on a different squad I believe on his 2nd game of doubles was standing left of the gutter, throwing over the gutter out to 10 and it snapped back in. He got 2 in a row then missed 2 boards left and took out the 4 7 and left a bunch. I saw someone have 3-5 x in a row going into the 10th frame. 10th frame first ball he X but fouled. 2nd ball X fouled again and he punched the ball return pissed.

So I saw people struggle to get any kind of hook and I saw people try to control their hook. I saw a lot of people with real shinny balls and I feel like I was the only one with mostly dull balls.

So if you really hook the ball, to start you will have to go straighter no matter what to start. So if I have recommend something. I would take a good aggressive ball and dull it down probably to 1000. I had a guru supreme at 360 but only used it to try to dry up the lane at first. I had a ripped solid at 500 and it started to move too early. I used at super sonic at 1000/1500 for all of doubles and it worked pretty good.

The whole deal is about shot making and repeating. I got quite a few Brooklyn strikes which I usually never miss left. I would rather miss left in this then miss right because atleast you have a chance for something brookyn if you are off.

If I had to change anything, I would probably have taken some kind of strong pearl ball shined up just slightly with me. My radical conspiracy was at 1000/1500 and wanted to start a bit early. I used this 2nd game of singles once I could throw the ball slightly / way.

I heard people on my lanes when I was bowling say there is no shot or there isn't anything there etc. I didn't have that issue. I was NEVER lost. The other 2 open championships I was at, I got lost because I didn't know how to make the move. This one, I had issues hitting my mark. (this is due for my shoulder not being down and thus the ball too far away from the foot making me miss the mark by 2 boards right. I pull my shoulder in and down I can hit it). Speed has to the be same, I had all kinds of issues with speed control. I left a 5-6+ combinations of the 1 2 4 10. I had that and the 1 2 4 8 10 when I shot straight up 8 instead of 10. If shot to the right of 8 the other day in team I got the same. I picked up the combo 1 time out of the bunch. For the 3 6 10, I knew I was in trouble coming into this. I usually throw up 8 and the ball moves a little to the left and hits the 3. Doing this on that I missed the 3 completely. I usually stand on 23 throw up 8 for that. I had to move to 22 and throw up 10 and then never missed the 3 6 10 or a combo of the 3 6 or whatever.

If it was up to me, I would bowl on this condition for a league every week. The people I went with put the previous year pattern up every sunday and practice on it.

Bowlers journel condition is more tight then double and singles. Everyone that bowled when I was there said the same thing. It did seem it slightly tighter. The lanes opened up a lot faster but just a little and then closed off again (maybe due to several people using purple hammers or other urethame balls. One guy played straight to start around 11-12 to 10 and in. Then later went to around 13 to 10 and then 3rd game he was with the purple hammer shooting \ around 5 board and shot 200+.

You have
to make your spares too. I probably averaged 1 extra missed spare per game then I am used to missing. That was due to bad form, timing issues, even turning hand once. I would give myself a "school grade" of a D on performance. it was just one thing after another, speed issue that forces a timing issue, then missed mark etc. I don't think I threw the ball good even twice I a row. I got 4 x's but 2 of them were Brooklyn's.

https://postimg.cc/621JCVR2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is exact scoresheet from the past few days. Its extremely hard to throw the ball with the correct release and go completely straight up the boards. (for me right now I mean. I have to be a lot tighter with my body in order to do this) its so much easier to throw the ball full roller or 3/4 roller straight. (you don't have to worry about staying behind the ball, how much spin to put on it etc. I needed to know where I stand and I have a lot to work on. I am not really upset about it because I have had this trouble before and haven't fixed it. If I had fixed it and then went back to doing it then I would be upset. Atleast I didn't shoot under 150.

so in conclusion, if you been to this thing before, the lanes are going to play about the same. which I figured would be the case in the first place.
Mongo
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2" over, 1 1/2" up
Speed: 18 MPH
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 80
Preferred Company: DV8/Radical

Post by Mongo »

Any reports from the left side? My team from last year folded, so I'm going with a bunch of classified people. I'm also the only lefty, so I'm responsible for whatever transition I can make out of them.

From what I'm hearing it's like last year, team shorter with heavy volume and S/D longer.

For me on team, my concerns is the front/back transition out of the pattern and there is very little/no taper, so controlling the motion is as important as accuracy. I'm taking at least one urethane piece, seriously considering 2. I'm also taking some big core asyms (Dragon, Saber, Conspiracy) with varying degrees of surface from 500 to 2000 (I'll also have multiple Siaair pads, too). With my tilt/rotation combo, extreme wet/dry front to back are my kryptonite, so any feedback is helpful.

On top of equipment, I'm working on taming down my rotation as anything higher is going to just jerk out of the pattern.

The S/D patterns looks to be more playable, but, being the only lefty, it is what it is.

Also, it looks like the BTM is bruuutal this year. Any reports from Gold Coast?
USBC Silver Certified Coach
JMerrell wrote:Mongo,
We need to work on getting that teddy bear body of yours more open throughout the approach.