ETBF Coaching mantra ETT question.

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

star
Positive Axis Point: 5 over 3/4 up
Speed: 17 to 18 mph off hand
Rev Rate: 400
Axis Tilt: 11
Axis Rotation: 45
Preferred Company: Storm

ETBF Coaching mantra ETT question.

Post by star »

My best friends have just completed the ETBF coaching course and I was wondering what people’s and more to the point coaches thoughts are based on their Base Concept of ETT. That is everything towards the target.

The basic concept is you coach: Walk towards the target, Swing towards the target and Release towards the target.

I completely agree with the Swing and Release part but my one question mark is to the Walk part of the trilogy.

I cannot for the life of me see how you can have a fixed personal number with this system. For those that don’t know, your personal number is measured as ball from ankle plus normal drift gives you your own number. I know we all aim for zero drift but that can be difficult.

When you play up the boards we have the regular personal number however with changing lane conditions causing extreme open or closed body angles how can a bowler make adjustments when making moves like 5 and 3 or bigger moves. Surely their personal number will change considerably at the more extreme angles.

Maybe I’m missing something as the rest of the coaching course is probably the best I’ve seen and I’ve read and digested 3 different coaching manuals as used by most of the bowling world.

Anyone have any thoughts or can explain the thinking as I would love an answer.

Would loved to have taken the course myself however ill heath prevents that but I still read everything and enjoy this game immensely.
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Re: ETBF Coaching mantra ETT question.

Post by JMerrell »

Perhaps post# 2 can clarify your line of questioning.

The personal number you refer to will remain somewhat constant, the only exception being that your personal number will vary dependent on the area of lane of lane you play.

You should always verify your personal number from outside, track area and deep inside play.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12176" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"
star

Post by star »

Hi, thanks for the reply really appreciate it.

Doesn’t that then mean that you have to remember many different personal numbers? I mean you can literally play thousands of different lines on a lane. Different shapes of shot all require a different number. How could you cope?

I mean playing a long left lane pattern and short right would be a nightmare when it starts breaking the pattern down and it comes time to jump zones.

Taking a normal 5 and 3 move for example, may have to be a 7 and 3 move if you open the lanes or could be a 3 and 3 if you close down the angle.

I always was taught to try to walk and finish on the board you start on so that in competition it is easier to make complex moves and know you’ve made a correct move.

I would find it very difficult.
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by JMerrell »

Typically in the competitive arena we only see three different lengths....Short, Medium and Long.

If as you say you walk straight without drift good for you.

I find that when I play outside the fifth board I typically drift 4 boards, when I play further in on the patterns I drift much less. So, yes I will adjust for that, but no one uses a thousand different drift patterns.

Perhaps post #5 might help you.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12176" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-JMerrell
star

Post by star »

That’s an awesome explanation and system and I really like the focal point system, it really works very well and one I would coach if I were still able.

I do agree that there will not be thousands of different drift patterns ( I’ve told you millions of times I do exaggerate Somewhat) but there are very large number of different lines to play. Playing a long/short tournament which we did regularly in the UK at one time it became tough to remember where to jump to and on which of the two pattern. Trying to remember different drift patterns would add another factor to that.

For me without using that focal point system added to the ETT to then target at the arrows it would be tough to really commit to it. I’m probably just very old school. I did used to walk left, pivot then throw right when walking around the ball return. I haven’t bowled in the past 8 years so all this is very new to me.

I just feel that with some work then most bowlers I’ve helped can keep their drift to a managable and fairly consistent level. I have never helped as many bowlers as yourself, so I’m working from a much smaller base.

However I think that if you play and are learning on a THS then the ETT system is an excellent system combined with focal point targeting you describe. So I do understand what you’re saying.

Just me being an old codger. :D Thank you again.
star

Post by star »

One small question to add.

What is a common change of standing board to finishing board at the line using the ETT system for a deep inside line? Is it the 4 boards you mention?

Just wondering what to look out for. I know it will vary on angle created but just an idea would help.

Thanks once again for all your time.
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by JMerrell »

star wrote:One small question to add.

What is a common change of standing board to finishing board at the line using the ETT system for a deep inside line? Is it the 4 boards you mention?

Just wondering what to look out for. I know it will vary on angle created but just an idea would help.

Thanks once again for all your time.
I can't respond on behalf of ETBF methodology, perhaps another member might.

I don't have an acceptable drift amount per say, but rather a baseline foot work pattern. (see attachment).

The human body preforms best in balance and does it well without conscience effort on our part.

Without a bowling ball everyone can duplicate the footwork pattern attached below.

However, add a bowling ball and it's as if some people forgot how to walk.

We must then begin the evaluation process to determine what is causing excessive drift.

The #1 cause I see starts with poor Body & Swing Alignment to the Line of Play.

The body will try to get where the eyes are looking!

If one of you athletes is struggling with excessive drift have them go through their approach without a ball. If you have video this will help them see their footwork as well.

All the best,
Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-JMerrell
star

Post by star »

Hi Jim,

Thanks you again for your time and effort. I am helping a couple of people at the moment and will try this method and see if the one that does struggle with their footwork find this easier to replicate.

Thanks again.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

One of the challenges of the sport is that the natural pattern of walking for humans is for arm to swing forward as the opposite foot steps forward. We don't get back to our natural ingrained pattern of arm and leg movement until the power or pivot step.

The footwork pattern we see taught at Kegel, as depicted in the photo Jim included and on the third video in the set of ten of the Kegel Teen Masters videos, is a great template.
Physiology will impact how closely you can perform this.
John Jowdy referred to a tight rope, Mo and others a balance beam.
If you have read Mark Baker's book or own his DVD you know his first focus is on the footwork. Bowling is predicated on direction, footwork is direction and acceleration, when properly synchronized with swinging that wide and heavy object, it enables effortless power and accuracy.

Note the progression of the footwork drills, note well the cadence as indicated by Del's clapping (like learning to dance), no ball and slow, look at the feet, repeat, learn, optionally try with your eyes closed, later speed it up to natural speed, then add a light weighted object, ultimately graduating to the ball. The footwork can be practiced at home, cadence, direction and size.

http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... ence_video" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is this the only way? No, but it is a common pattern observed and studied by elite Coachs.
I can think of exceptions and sports always has exceptions, but there is a reason so many elites share traits.

I highly recommend Brian Voss's book by the way.

So glad to see ETBF being cited and acknowledged, we have much we can learn from them.
So glad to hear that we on this side of the ocean will be stepping up our training of Coachs.
Kudos to those who kindled this long overdue step.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
star

Post by star »

kajmk wrote:One of the challenges of the sport is that the natural pattern of walking for humans is for arm to swing forward as the opposite foot steps forward. We don't get back to our natural ingrained pattern of arm and leg movement until the power or pivot step.

The footwork pattern we see taught at Kegel, as depicted in the photo Jim included and on the third video in the set of ten of the Kegel Teen Masters videos, is a great template.
Physiology will impact how closely you can perform this.
John Jowdy referred to a tight rope, Mo and others a balance beam.
If you have read Mark Baker's book or own his DVD you know his first focus is on the footwork. Bowling is predicated on direction, footwork is direction and acceleration, when properly synchronized with swinging that wide and heavy object, it enables effortless power and accuracy.

Note the progression of the footwork drills, note well the cadence as indicated by Del's clapping (like learning to dance), no ball and slow, look at the feet, repeat, learn, optionally try with your eyes closed, later speed it up to natural speed, then add a light weighted object, ultimately graduating to the ball. The footwork can be practiced at home, cadence, direction and size.

http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... ence_video" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is this the only way? No, but it is a common pattern observed and studied by elite Coachs.
I can think of exceptions and sports always has exceptions, but there is a reason so many elites share traits.

I highly recommend Brian Voss's book by the way.

So glad to see ETBF being cited and acknowledged, we have much we can learn from them.
So glad to hear that we on this side of the ocean will be stepping up our training of Coachs.
Kudos to those who kindled this long overdue step.
The Jowdy method is how I was taught and what I have tried to pass on to people I’ve helped, however as Jim has explained for me the ETBF method does have its benefits. Especially in that your body generally wants to walk towards its target. It is more natural.

Now if someone finds this the easiest way to learn and improve and many do based on the ETBF findings, then maybe it is me that should should rethink my old ways.
boomer
THS Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 6 3/16 x 1/2 up
Speed: 13.8 at pindeck
Preferred Company: Storm (it smells pretty)

Post by boomer »

I was taught to walk straight and then deliver the ball toward the mark.

It was easy when that straight walk and the delivery were on the same line.

But it felt like I was fighting myself when they were not. If I was on dry and/or wood lanes, I would have to move way left and deliver the ball right - If I walk straight up the lane (which I can do) and then deliver the ball NOT straight, but to the right, that felt awkward and I would always have a problem.

But if I did a deliberate cross-over step, get myself some left, and then walk along the same line (ish), then I could deliver the ball along that line.

Might be psychological. . . and it's only a couple of lines I know, but . . .
PlainUgly
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/2
Speed: 18,3 off hand
Rev Rate: 340
Axis Tilt: 7-10
Heavy Oil Ball: RG No Rules
Medium Oil Ball: RG Devour
Light Oil Ball: Hammer BW Spare 2000 grit

Post by PlainUgly »

Perhaps this will help to illustrate.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
boomer

Post by boomer »

Not much for me - that seemed to say that one should walk straight up the boards and then deliver the ball along its trajectory. The shoeprints were also completely parallel with the boards.

This means that there are two trajectories, two planes, two vectors at work. One in which you walk, and then one in which you deliver the ball.

Biomechanically, this is difficult. It was for me. To have my feet (and thus my body) lined up completely straight and then my arm/shoulders lined up "crooked" was counter-intuitive.

It seemed easier to line my body, feet, and arm-swing up to my target and get everything moving in the same plane. My precision went way up. I actually hit my target a LOT more without having to aim farther right than my actual target. You know?
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Tidbits, pull up videos of Chris Barnes playing deep inside lines.
Mark Bakers DVD highlights Chris as one of his models. In the DVD, Chris is playing up against the ball return. Mark has high praise for Chris's footwork.
Nothing like a good model ...

Chris Barnes on moving inside

[youtube][/youtube]

Look at Marshall Holman's feet, hips and shoulders.
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... sion_Tapes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Possible phase 1 practice drill for deep inside.
Using spare ball, roll straight balls to right side focal points.
Morph into hook release.

John
boomer

Post by boomer »

so it SOUNDS Like Chris is saying to walk straight with your body crooked, enforced by your right foot (for a righty) pointing in the direction of your swing.

Is that a correct interpretation?
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Opinion and references.

Prior to the need for extreme to bowl extreme angles one could simply extend the line backwards from the breakpoint thru the on lane targets thru the lay down point to a stance position.
However at a point, the ball return gets in the way.
Chris Barnes describes his way of coping with that dilemma. He is preseting the body.
It's somewhat analogous to a tank turret pointed at the target while the tank is moving.
The video below also described alignment.
I've cut an pasted the text from that video.

Note well that Del Warren has mentioned that body alignment is very subtle and at Kegel, they devote a lot of time coaching that (at least that's what I've heard in videos).

Back in the Jurassic age, Marshall Holman was open from start to finish.

Finding quality video of elite bowler's that shows alignment is a good study aid.
A full mapping of body alignment, feet, hips, shoulders and swing plane would be a very welcomed tutorial.

[youtube][/youtube]

Text from above video

How do you align your body to your target? It's so important to have your body in a right position towards your target to create the line of attack to the pocket. You not only have to be in the right position, but you have to have the right balance, too. And the balance comes from having the right position towards your target. Your body has to be facing not only your target, but the depth of the lane. Your shoulders and your arm swing have to be a 90 degree angle as you're perpendicular to your target. So in other words, you have the foul line in front of you, you're not going to necessarily be focused on the foul line, but you're focused on the line that you are seeing down the lane, which is an imaginary line for your targets. Your position's going to be forward towards your target line, which means your chest, your hips and your shoulders are going to be facing a target. If you're playing a wide angle, or an angle going across the lane, your body's going to be facing that way. If you're playing a straighter line down a lane, you're going to be more flush with that target. In other words, your shoulder's and hip's going to be more towards the foul line itself. So as you move left or right, your body's going to go with the angle, and it's going to be facing your target. So if I'm playing way left, going across lane for a 10 pin or for a big angle of a hook, my body's going to be facing that direction. My arm swing's going to be a 90 degree angle, heading towards that position, and it's going to create the angle from your swing. If you move to your right, and you're playing a straighter angle, you're definitely going to have your body in a different position. You'll be more lined up with the foul line, but you're still aligning yourself with your target. When you're playing an extreme angle, playing more left, your body's going to be open to that side that you're looking at. If you're right handed, you're going to be open to the right side. Even though you're going to be walking straight, your body's going to be tilted, and angled towards your target. And your arm swing is going to be perpendicular to your shoulder line. When you're playing in a straighter line, more up the lane, you're going to be playing more to the right side, you're going to be more square to your target. Even though it's still facing a 90 degree angle, you may be more parallel to the lane itself. When playing a wide angle, you're going to have your body open to the lane. Going to the foul line, your body will be open, to the right, creating a 90 degree angle with your shoulders and your arm swing. That's how you align yourself with your target.

John