Noted comment by Mo regarding coaching ...

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Noted comment by Mo regarding coaching ...

Post by kajmk »

I stumbled upon this thread while searching for something ...

In my search, I found a very good comment/observation by Mo Pinel in the topic

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1593&p=12459&hilit=Footwork#p12459" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's a difference between CERTIFIED and EFFECTIVE. Again, semantics.

OPINION: Bowling needs a dependable way to develop EFFECTIVE coaches.
If there was one, I would have definitely become a willing student.
The USBC has improved, but results vary.
No disrespect to any certified coach.
Kudos to all with the eye and judgement to EFFECTIVELY help folks improve.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
nwohbowler
Positive Axis Point: 6 x 1
Speed: 17 foul line
Rev Rate: 440
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 70

Re: Noted comment by Mo regarding coaching ...

Post by nwohbowler »

You know, I'm pretty positive that I've totally neglected any attention to my approach. I've always focused on swing and release. Until recently I've never even though about the push away let alone my approach... During a recent visit to the pro shop after fixing the spans on the balls I have the shop assistant made a comment about how the difference in my 2 shots was my approach. One was faster than the one before it. I didn't even notice it, but it made a huge difference in how the ball reacted. It made me realize I'm focusing on the wrong things when I practice... Unfortunately there are pretty much no coaches in my area outside of the volunteers who work with the juniors and the ones who work with the local University teams.
Right handed
Rev Rate 420s
Ball speed at release 17
Axis point 6 3/16" and 1" up
Tilt 17 degrees
Rotation 70 degrees
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by TonyPR »

Experience, reliable data and results show the methodology is probably working. After meeting Del Warren a few years back many of the things I learned reading, talking to other coaches and studying by myself started to make sense. What Kegel teaches is based on many many hours of researching the world’s best and giving many many lessons to bowlers of all levels, eventually common denominators pop up. A coach needs to be flexible but there are a few things that need to happen in order to transfer power to the ball in an efficient and repeatable way. A coach must also be able to adapt and transmit the knowledge to the students, some prefer goofing off while others are nerdy yet others just don’t listen and would rather do, a coach must adapt. Finally the goals must be stated before the lesson, some just want to add ten pins to their league average while others want to make a national team and the roads may be quite different.

A certification ads credibility, especially for people like myself who have never competed in the PBA or have never been on a national team but, same as in every profession, one must keep on learning, a BA, Masters or Doctorate degree is only the beginning...
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Post by JMerrell »

I would agree that USBC Coaching has improved since the inception of USA Bowling. Most
of the changes were driven by equipment development over time. All levels up through Silver Level are just certification programs. Attend a class for a few days, pass an exam on the material covered in the class and receive a Certificate.

I know there are some who completed the initial program and spent many hours on the lanes and attended educational conferences to enhance their coach’s toolbox. I also know some that completed the initial class and have done little coaching or made any effort to improve their coaching skills. Even though these coaches all hold the same level of certification, they are in now way equal.

What is needed is a program that evaluates and verifies the coach’s knowledge and ability to effectively problem solve a wide variety of athletes. In other words, a program that Validates the abilities of the coach over time. ETBF is the closest existing program that evaluates a coach’s ability over a period of time, not over a weekend.

New flash there is going to be a new coaching program released this year! The program will be difficult and could require years to complete. Coaches who complete the program will be recognized as World Class Coaches.

All I can say for now.
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Wholeheartedly agree with Jim's points. I was very impressed with the ETBF presentation (see wiki, or YouTube) That program is logical and EFFECTIVE.

Quoting Jim - New flash there is going to be a new coaching program released this year! The program will be difficult and could require years to complete. Coaches who complete the program will be recognized as World Class Coaches.

So glad to hear of this. Certainly a long overdue program.
Makes me wish I was young enough to give it a go, if only for the learning experience.

Kudos to those that will make this a reality.

Thanks for sharing Jim.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
Mongo
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2" over, 1 1/2" up
Speed: 18 MPH
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 80
Preferred Company: DV8/Radical

Post by Mongo »

JMerrell wrote:
New flash there is going to be a new coaching program released this year! The program will be difficult and could require years to complete. Coaches who complete the program will be recognized as World Class Coaches.

All I can say for now.
Great news. I'll be looking for updates.
USBC Silver Certified Coach
JMerrell wrote:Mongo,
We need to work on getting that teddy bear body of yours more open throughout the approach.
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by TonyPR »

...difficult? Sign me in, I enjoy these sort of things...
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent