Finger tip help

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

kmann300

Finger tip help

Post by kmann300 »

Hello I have been given some very good advice on this form so I'm trying my luck again. Lately it seems after the first game or so my fingertips begin to swell and I find myself really trying to get my fingers in the ball and I was wondering what should I do. I was going to try to get bigger inserts put in but I dont know if that will help. Any advice anyone can give me I sure would love to hear from you. Thanks
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Re: Finger tip help

Post by TonyPR »

Welcome to BowlingChat

You can do a fake vacu:

Here is how Mo does them:
To allow for swelling, drill a hole 1/32" larger than the hole for the insert 1" deep (3/4" deep for short finger tips) at the cut span distance, then change the bit to the correct size for the insert and flush the bit against the front wall of the hole and drill it the desired depth. This will allow for the knuckle to swell and still keep the tip of the finger at the correct place at the bottom of the hole. I call these fake Vacu grips.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
vicsmyth

Post by vicsmyth »

TonyPR wrote:You can do a fake vacu:
I tried this 3 months ago to see if it would alleviate pain on my middle finger, works like magic! Did it on all my balls.
seventen7ten
THS Average: 206
Positive Axis Point: 3.5" Right 1" Up
Axis Tilt: 36
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Alpha Crux
Medium Oil Ball: Roto Grip Hustle Ink
Light Oil Ball: Motiv Tribal & Brunswick Axis
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by seventen7ten »

Fake Vacu-Grip Diagram
fakevacugrips.jpg
I glue my inserts only near the bottom of the holes. I cut some shims out of thick plastic (about the thickness of blister packs) that can be used in the back or sides of the finger holes to adjust the snugness. Your PSO might be able to do this without plugging your ball. It will only slightly shorten your span.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SomyP

Post by SomyP »

Another reason for swelling could be dehydration as well. Try the fake vacu to help. But remember to keep hydrated and your fingers wont swell up as much.
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

SomyP wrote:Another reason for swelling could be dehydration as well. Try the fake vacu to help. But remember to keep hydrated and your fingers wont swell up as much.
Hydrating with water right?

Hydrating with beer will actually cause fingers and thumb to swell.

With grips that are too tight, damage to the cuticles on your fingers can happen and be another source of swelling.

Grips are available in half sizes so the next larger grip is not too big a jump to try.
That is what I would do.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

A few tidbits
Salty foods also cause water retention.
Fast foods and processed foods are notorious for high sodium content.
You might consider keeping your bowling hand on your opposite shoulder and use gravity to drain a little. Cold is also an ally, consider a drinking vessel with ice inside, one where it feels cold to the touch, remember to keep the hand dry.
There is an old trick used to squeeze excess fluid out of a thumb, that was wrap the thumb in a tissue or cloth and work the thumb in and out.
Of course the fingers are different, however, a similar gambit might work with a house ball,
I just made this last one up and have not tried it, all things are with degrees of difference.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
kart300

Post by kart300 »

It's most likely the finger pitches are not helping. Snug inserts with too much forward pitch will cause the tips to swell quickly especially if you don't have a soft release.
Revs ~350 Tilt ~16* Speed 17-18 off the hand Rotation 30-75