Suitcase Release

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Greg01
Preferred Company: Rotogrip

Suitcase Release

Post by Greg01 »

Hello everyone

Been bowling now for about 20 years, when I was younger I used to carry about a 195 average now my average is 167 I know longer have the speed I used to at my age I range anywhere between 11 to 14 miles per hour

The question I have is I changed my grip to a suitcase grip but when I release the ball I bring my thumb to about 12 o'clock and fingers to about 4 - 5 is this consider a semi roller the oil track is to left of the middle finger and left of the thumb.

With this change at least the first night bowling this way I shot a 242 the first game a 159 the second , and then a 214 , I started out with a rotogrip eternal cell, and didn't switch balls in the second game but switched in the third to a hammer viral I have been trying to hit the 5th board since I am more of a down and in player

any tips on how to improve
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45

Re: Suitcase Release

Post by JohnP »

Greg01 wrote:Hello everyone

Been bowling now for about 20 years, when I was younger I used to carry about a 195 average now my average is 167 I know longer have the speed I used to at my age I range anywhere between 11 to 14 miles per hour

The question I have is I changed my grip to a suitcase grip but when I release the ball I bring my thumb to about 12 o'clock and fingers to about 4 - 5 is this consider a semi roller the oil track is to left of the middle finger and left of the thumb.

With this change at least the first night bowling this way I shot a 242 the first game a 159 the second , and then a 214 , I started out with a rotogrip eternal cell, and didn't switch balls in the second game but switched in the third to a hammer viral I have been trying to hit the 5th board since I am more of a down and in player

any tips on how to improve
Yes, the track you've described, running to the left of both the fingers and thumb is a semi-roller track. A full roller track would be to the left of the middle finger and to the right of the thumb hole (all directions for a righty). -- JohnP
Greg01

Post by Greg01 »

Thanks John I thought it was that type of release but watch the different YouTube videos each and everyone is different
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Welcome to the forum Greg.
Working 1:1 with a good instructor is a good step towards improvement.

2 games over 200, must be doing something right.
One suggestion, sight unseen would be to be the best spare shooter you can be.
Minimizing the lane condition by using a plastic ball and coupling that with a simple portable system such as the one detailed by Ray Wong is a good one.

[youtube][/youtube]

I advocate that bowler's cultivate a straight ball release.
Here is a way to do that, as detailed by Greg Helms. He uses it as a precursor to developing a hook ball.

"
Here are some words of wisdom by forum member Greg Helms
Greg's Bowling Chat ID is FitDocSr

Quote:
Put a piece of white tape on your PAP. When you can at least make it face the left gutter (straight ball) you are behind it at release. Don't try to hook it (or dont try to turn your hand). Once you have that under control, then you can start adding turn with the hand.
I teach that you cant hook it properly until you can roll it straight properly. Also helps on spares.

Hopefully you can devote some time to practicing your spare game.
One way is to shoot a game of corner pins, 10 then the 7.

Insofar as an effective prescription for improvement, post a video of yourself using the instructions in the link below and post to the certified Coachs forum.

http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... e_Coaching" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Even if you do not want to post your video, use it for self study and create an archive of your development. Using a full length mirror to checkout your posture and swing can also be an eye opener.

Hope this helps.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
Greg01

Post by Greg01 »

Thank Kaj I have a friend who is a coach I am finding out with this style I currently moved to it’s helping me get my hand under the ball better on release I just going back to old school style a more down and in shot.

Since I am older and don’t have much strength anymore but with this style I am seeing more pin reaction and my speed has improved some will try again on Thursday and will have to remember to change balls before the second game