Book - "Bowling beyond the basics" Freeman and Hatfield

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Book - "Bowling beyond the basics" Freeman and Hatfield

Post by kajmk »

I stumbled upon this last night.
Have you read it? Does it interest you?
Thoughts?

Text below, copied from Amazon.

Bowling Beyond the Basics: What's Really Happening on the Lanes, and What You Can Do about It Paperback – July 15, 2018

by James Freeman  (Author), Ron Hatfield  (Author)

“Why did I leave the 10-pin on that shot?” “Why isn't my ball hitting the pocket anymore?” “Should I change balls, or move?” “How heavy should my ball be?” “What's the best bowling ball?” “How do I get more hook?” “Why do I keep missing my spares?”We are faced with endless questions, problems, and choices every time we bowl. Answers and solutions abound, but a great many of them are ineffective or just plain wrong. How do we know what to do? How do we know what to believe?In this book we examine: What doesn't work, and what most bowlers have wrong. What's really happening on the lanes, and how things really work. What you need to change to get back to striking. How to properly make that change. This is not a basic “how to bowl” book. It will benefit bowlers at all skill levels, from league and recreational play through PBA pros. Everything in this book is backed up with facts and science, not opinion. We teach you how to figure out exactly what's wrong with your shot. We show you all of the adjustments available to you, explain what each one actually does, and show you how and when to apply it. We give you strategies that will improve your lane play and your decision making. Finally, we teach you a mathematically sound spare system that will simplify your game and make picking up your spares an easy proposition. We give you all of the knowledge and tools you need to take your game to the next level and become the bowler you want to be.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
star
Positive Axis Point: 5 over 3/4 up
Speed: 17 to 18 mph off hand
Rev Rate: 400
Axis Tilt: 11
Axis Rotation: 45
Preferred Company: Storm

Re: Book - "Bowling beyond the basics" Freeman and Hatfield

Post by star »

I’m 3/4 of the way through it and finding it to be a real eye opener.

I have a background in maths and physics (30 years ago mind you) and when I saw it I just had to get it.

It is a very in depth study of real world reasons why thing happen in the game of bowling. It’s very compelling. Not really a how to bowl book more of a “ now you see why” one.

My only regret is that I bought it on ebook because it was half the price, I know me being cheap but I would love to have the physical copy to show my friends.

I will be rereading it as it is very in depth and can be a difficult to fully understand at times as they use many different studies to show how things really work.

For me it is a must buy and I’ve read over 100 bowling books. I may be asking for the physical copy for a birthday, it’s that good. Awesome.
Viper
THS Average: 199
Sport Average: 172
Positive Axis Point: 5 x 1/2 up
Speed: 15 at the foul line
Rev Rate: 315
Axis Tilt: 15
Medium Oil Ball: 14 lbs. Hammer Raw Orange/Black Hybrid

Post by Viper »

kajmk wrote:I stumbled upon this last night.
Thoughts?

Text below, copied from Amazon.

Bowling Beyond the Basics: What's Really Happening on the Lanes, and What You Can Do about It Paperback – July 15, 2018

by James Freeman  (Author), Ron Hatfield  (Author)

“Why did I leave the 10-pin on that shot?” “Why isn't my ball hitting the pocket anymore?” “Should I change balls, or move?” “How heavy should my ball be?” “What's the best bowling ball?” “How do I get more hook?” “Why do I keep missing my spares?”We are faced with endless questions, problems, and choices every time we bowl. Answers and solutions abound, but a great many of them are ineffective or just plain wrong. How do we know what to do? How do we know what to believe?In this book we examine: What doesn't work, and what most bowlers have wrong. What's really happening on the lanes, and how things really work. What you need to change to get back to striking. How to properly make that change. This is not a basic “how to bowl” book. It will benefit bowlers at all skill levels, from league and recreational play through PBA pros. Everything in this book is backed up with facts and science, not opinion. We teach you how to figure out exactly what's wrong with your shot. We show you all of the adjustments available to you, explain what each one actually does, and show you how and when to apply it. We give you strategies that will improve your lane play and your decision making. Finally, we teach you a mathematically sound spare system that will simplify your game and make picking up your spares an easy proposition. We give you all of the knowledge and tools you need to take your game to the next level and become the bowler you want to be.
Thanks for the heads-up!
Left-handed
PAP 5 x 1/2 up
Tilt: 15*
Rot: 45*
Rev: 315
Speed: 15 at the camera
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Thanks to star for the feedback.
I much prefer tome over the digital format. In my case, it may be age related :lol:

I'm hoping to get the book some time soon.

Again, thanks for your review.

Take care.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
star

Post by star »

kajmk wrote:Thanks to star for the feedback.
I much prefer tome over the digital format. In my case, it may be age related :lol:

I'm hoping to get the book some time soon.

Again, thanks for your review.

Take care.
If you do get it, I guarantee that you will not regret it. I don’t bowl anymore due to injury but this book is something very special and I’ve never really read one like it before.

Anyone interest in an in-depth look into our great sport would love it too. Eye opening.
MWhite

Post by MWhite »

kajmk wrote:I stumbled upon this last night.
Thoughts?
Answers and solutions abound, but a great many of them are ineffective or just plain wrong.
The author then proceeds to add his own ineffective or just plain wrong solution.

Odd how he measured Brian's ball speed, theoretically computed the force required to achieve that speed, then use that force as given while changing ball weights. However, he never measured Brian's ball speed with different weight balls to confirm that his force calculations are consistent.

Next he determines that ball velocity is the most important factor since it has a non-linear effect on Kinetic Energy compared to it's linear effect on momentum.

He does present his math for calculating ball deflection, but uses the most painful process possible, guarented to glaze the eyes of anyone while average math skills.

After all the work, he forgot to include coefficient of restitution so his system is modeling the ball and pins as if they were made of the same stuff as billiard balls.

He took some information from USBC's pin carry study, but didn't pay close attention to details. This is somewhat excusable since USBC itself seems to have been confused as it produced multiple graphs that are inconsistent.

His deflection angles:
16 lbs -> 10.69 degrees
15 lbs -> 11.54 degrees
14 lbs -> 12.47 degrees.

This numbers are significantly larger than reality since his calculations are using elastic collisions.

My favorite is his calculations when adding in entry angle.

0 degrees -> 11.54 degrees deflection angle
2 degrees -> 8.92 degrees deflection angle
4 degrees -> 6.24 degrees deflection angle
6 degrees -> 3.47 degrees deflection angle.

He then states
2 degrees of entry angle results in 2-1/2 degree decrease in deflection.
4 degrees of entry angle results in 5 degree decrease in deflection.

Now that is some tricky math.

From 2 degrees left, to 8.92 degrees right still sounds like 10.92 degrees of deflection, or a difference of 0.62 degrees

From 4 degrees left, to 6.24 degrees right still sounds like 10.24 degrees of deflection, or a difference of 1.30 degrees

Even those reductions of deflection are incorrect, again due to the authors misunderstanding of USBC's pin carry.

USBC used a 2.5" offset as the location with the highest strike potential.
The author somehow decided that must have been 2.5 boards, then in some kind of voodoo math decided that must have put the ball on the 17.5 board at contact.

Even if it had be 2.5 boards. The head pin is centered 19.5 boards from the gutter in either direction.

Next when he included entry angle, he assumed the ball still made contact on the exact same board.

He clearly didn't grasp the idea USBC meant by offset, which again is somewhat excusable since USBC also seemed to lose that train of thought.

USBC Source material:
(In this file the graphs indicate the offsets are in inches not boards)
https://bowl.com/uploadedFiles/Equipmen ... udy(1).pdf

At 1:37 the video explains the concept of offset.
However at 0:58 they have presented an alternate graph that completely confuses the issue.

For example the offset graph drops to 0% probability of striking at 0.5" offset, and the "board" graph has that same 0% at the 19.5 board.

If 0.5" offset is the same at 19.5 board, what is 0.5" offset from? Where is the head pin located?

http://usbcongress.http.internapcdn.net ... tWhere.mp4

If the center of the 20 board is considered 19.5, 2.5 offset would be the edge between the 17 board and the 18 board. How is that considered the 17.5 board?

Someone at USBC screwed up, and the author of the book followed them down the rabbit hole.

Some of what the author says later in the book sounds reasonable but anytime he uses the early chapters as "proof" he's blowing smoke.
star

Post by star »

MWhite wrote:

The author then proceeds to add his own ineffective or just plain wrong solution.

Odd how he measured Brian's ball speed, theoretically computed the force required to achieve that speed, then use that force as given while changing ball weights. However, he never measured Brian's ball speed with different weight balls to confirm that his force calculations are consistent.

Next he determines that ball velocity is the most important factor since it has a non-linear effect on Kinetic Energy compared to it's linear effect on momentum.

He does present his math for calculating ball deflection, but uses the most painful process possible, guarented to glaze the eyes of anyone while average math skills.

After all the work, he forgot to include coefficient of restitution so his system is modeling the ball and pins as if they were made of the same stuff as billiard balls.

He took some information from USBC's pin carry study, but didn't pay close attention to details. This is somewhat excusable since USBC itself seems to have been confused as it produced multiple graphs that are inconsistent.

His deflection angles:
16 lbs -> 10.69 degrees
15 lbs -> 11.54 degrees
14 lbs -> 12.47 degrees.

This numbers are significantly larger than reality since his calculations are using elastic collisions.

My favorite is his calculations when adding in entry angle.

0 degrees -> 11.54 degrees deflection angle
2 degrees -> 8.92 degrees deflection angle
4 degrees -> 6.24 degrees deflection angle
6 degrees -> 3.47 degrees deflection angle.

He then states
2 degrees of entry angle results in 2-1/2 degree decrease in deflection.
4 degrees of entry angle results in 5 degree decrease in deflection.

Now that is some tricky math.

From 2 degrees left, to 8.92 degrees right still sounds like 10.92 degrees of deflection, or a difference of 0.62 degrees

From 4 degrees left, to 6.24 degrees right still sounds like 10.24 degrees of deflection, or a difference of 1.30 degrees

Even those reductions of deflection are incorrect, again due to the authors misunderstanding of USBC's pin carry.

USBC used a 2.5" offset as the location with the highest strike potential.
The author somehow decided that must have been 2.5 boards, then in some kind of voodoo math decided that must have put the ball on the 17.5 board at contact.

Even if it had be 2.5 boards. The head pin is centered 19.5 boards from the gutter in either direction.

Next when he included entry angle, he assumed the ball still made contact on the exact same board.

He clearly didn't grasp the idea USBC meant by offset, which again is somewhat excusable since USBC also seemed to lose that train of thought.

USBC Source material:
(In this file the graphs indicate the offsets are in inches not boards)
https://bowl.com/uploadedFiles/Equipmen ... udy(1).pdf

At 1:37 the video explains the concept of offset.
However at 0:58 they have presented an alternate graph that completely confuses the issue.

For example the offset graph drops to 0% probability of striking at 0.5" offset, and the "board" graph has that same 0% at the 19.5 board.

If 0.5" offset is the same at 19.5 board, what is 0.5" offset from? Where is the head pin located?

http://usbcongress.http.internapcdn.net ... tWhere.mp4

If the center of the 20 board is considered 19.5, 2.5 offset would be the edge between the 17 board and the 18 board. How is that considered the 17.5 board?

Someone at USBC screwed up, and the author of the book followed them down the rabbit hole.

Some of what the author says later in the book sounds reasonable but anytime he uses the early chapters as "proof" he's blowing smoke.
I still enjoyed it :D
Dax
THS Average: 230

Post by Dax »

I was googling this book again and I came with this chat.

Most interesting book on bowling I have ever read. I "far from" agree with everything they said - but it was worth it just for the some of myth busting, and archaic ideas that exists in bowling/bowlers that it dispels, or at the very least put under scrutiny.
"You see only what you look for; you recognize only what you know"

There are many worlds out there. Some of them can be accessed through reading. Encourage reading - T.A. Sankar

http://www.tasankar.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;