Drills, attention to detail is paramount.

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Drills, attention to detail is paramount.

Post by kajmk »

Submitted in the spirit of trying to help.
Habits take time and effort to replace.
Our sense of our own body position in time and space is RARELY precise.
In many if not all bowling skill drills, we should not forget to observe and try to mirror what we see. The key word is mirror. Look at the entire body because body position is the enabler.
A good idea would be to create a few still pictures and compare the "model bowler" with you.
Focus on the process.
We all vary in ability to mimic what we see, we all start in different places.
Use of self video for immediate feedback and or the assistance of an observer is helpful.
Do I look like the model, if not, where are the differences.
If posture is a position, why? If correctable, do so, if it's a matter of conditioning, well there you have an option .
SOMETIMES, finding a model bowler with a body type similar to yours can help.

On the odd chance I will ever bowl again, I will be using the mirrors at the gym to first observe my posture and movement, first without any prop, then a light dumbbell. While not the same as bowling, if I fail at that phase, I correct and instill the movement if physically possible.
In some martial arts, they practice slowly to ensconce the nuances and establish synaptic training, or so I believe.
REMEMBER, if you get instructions from a coach such as Jim, follow them and FOCUS on the process not the result. The instructions are the recipe, if you leave out ingredients, the dish won't often be to your liking.

Wax on Wax off ...
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: Drills, attention to detail is paramount.

Post by kajmk »

Note the Coachs pointing out various details an the reasons for them.
These Kegel Teen Masters Drills are an example of paying attention to details as well as cause an effect. We have a link for this on the wiki.
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... ence_video" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Again, using side by side of yourself as compared to the models is a good idea.

Having a good source for contemporary information is a good idea.

As a bowler, your most important asset insofar as achieving your own personal best is your knowledge base and curiosity. That knowledge will help you choose and use the expensive and somewhat ephemeral tools of the trade wisely.

Cheers.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John