Bowler specs help needed

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

CuriousBowler
Preferred Company: DV8

Bowler specs help needed

Post by CuriousBowler »

As the title says, I need help getting my own specs as a bowler. I know normally this is something a PSO can help with, however in my case it's a headache I rather not deal with. So I'm looking to find all my own specs, on my own. However I'm looking for info on how I go about doing this, and what I will need to find all the important specs about myself as a bowler.

The reason I want to find all my specs as a bowler, is because I want to learn more about ball layouts/ dual angle layouts that fit me, and the way I want to play. I have been bowling for many years now, and I league bowl every week. However lately I have grown a bit frustrated with bowling, as I feel the ball's I'm using, don't match up well, and leaves me feeling like I have to throw the ball perfect to score well. Overall not a fun thing for any bowler.

With that said, the last several bowling ball's I had my PSO drill for me, I honestly haven't been happy with. Which my last ball I had him drill, less then a month ago. I had a decently long discussion with him, on how I wanted to play the lanes, and what I was looking for out of the ball. I gave my PSO all control, in the sense I let him pick the ball, and drill it the way he thought was best. I ended up with a ball once again I didn't like. I used the ball off, and on for a couple weeks, changed surfaces a couple times. Never found anything close to what I was expecting/wanting from the ball.

So a little over a week ago, I took the ball into him. Told him I didn't like the way the ball acted, and how it was drilled. I ended up giving him a dual angle layout, I picked, and asked him to plug, and redrill the ball. Hoping the layout I picked, ends up being more closer to what I was wanting out of the ball. Which honestly at this point.. I'm not sold on the ball he picked for what I wanted out of it.

I'm supposed to get the ball back from him this week, and I hope its ball motion is closer to what I'm looking for. However I still have one MAJOR issue, with my PSO. When I brought the ball back into him, and gave him the layout I wanted to put on it after he plugged it. His first comment to me was.. I need your PAP to put this layout on the ball. Which honestly pissed me off.. Because I took it as a rude reply from him, and ultimately.. He's the PSO. You know how to get this info, and honestly should already know it. Because never once has he told, or shown me what my PAP is. I ended up telling him you're the PSO, you tell me.. Because you have never told me my PAP.

Overall after hearing him make the PAP comment to me. I felt disrespected as a long time customer. Because I have had him drill 4-6 balls over the last couple years. Also after hearing that comment from him. It made me think.. How has he been drilling my balls in the past? Just going off a general PAP average? It wouldn't surprise me, because as I mentioned above. I haven't been happy with the last few balls he has drilled for me.

So with all this said, it makes me feel like my PSO doesn't care, and is drilling my balls however he wants, and not based off my own bowler specs. Which is now the reason I want to find my own bowling specs. Because I'm tired of feeling like I'm wasting money on new ball's, and not use them because they're not performing like I wanted. Anyways sorry for this long post, I have just become frustrated with all this, and vented a bit in this post.
DarkHorse

Re: Bowler specs help needed

Post by DarkHorse »

Feel better?
Sadly, your situation is not unique, so please know you're not alone in your frustrations.

Regarding finding your own specs, please refer to this post:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=373

There are several links to the relevant Wiki pages at the bottom of that post.
Read that, then ask questions if you need.

Regarding the interaction with your PSO, I think you may have overreacted a bit. In my experience, his response is fairly typical. Now, his tone may have been a bit confrontational, and since I wasn't there I can't judge that, but the comment alone at least shows he knows what Dual Angle Layouts are, which is more than most Pro Shops I've been to. If you chastise him, I predict the level of service received will continue to be sub-par. You catch more flies with honey, so to speak. It's OK to be upset, but remember there are no mandated training standards for Pro Shops.

You'd be better served to ask what he knows about Dual Angle Layouts, and go from there. Then you can ask why he wasn't doing it that way before, and maybe work out some of these communication issues.

Also, selecting a Dual Angle layout without knowing your release specs is no more accurate than whatever he was doing.
Selecting layouts is like playing darts - if you have no info on the bowler, you're throwing with a blindfold from 10 paces. The more info you get, the better you can see, and the closer to the board you get to stand, to the point that the dart only has to fly a couple inches.
A House Shot makes the bulls-eye bigger so the misses aren't as noticeable, for bowlers and Pro Shop alike.
Right Handed
Speed: 18 mph (foul line)
Rev Rate: ~350 rpm
Tilt: 10*
Rotation: 55*
PAP: 5 1/8" right, 1/2" up
fufu
THS Average: 230
Positive Axis Point: 5 right, 3/8 up
Speed: 16
Rev Rate: 320
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55

Post by fufu »

Your PSO is simply not doing a good job. Perhaps this community can recommend another shop in your area if you're willing to tell us where you are at.

http://matchmaker.stormbowling.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For simplicity, I would start with the storm matchmaker and then calculate the sums, ratios, etc via the wiki.
http://www.rotogrip.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.facebook.com/Round-Holes-No ... 602077080/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

DarkHorse wrote:Also, selecting a Dual Angle layout without knowing your release specs is no more accurate than whatever he was doing.
Selecting layouts is like playing darts - if you have no info on the bowler, you're throwing with a blindfold from 10 paces. The more info you get, the better you can see, and the closer to the board you get to stand, to the point that the dart only has to fly a couple inches.
A House Shot makes the bulls-eye bigger so the misses aren't as noticeable, for bowlers and Pro Shop alike.
The Dual Angle system can be used to adjust off from balls already in then arsenal. While it is not optimum like using the release specs it is better than guessing.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand