Help get bowling in the Olympics

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

preoakes
THS Average: 228
Positive Axis Point: 5 over 0 up
Speed: 16-18
Rev Rate: 315
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 30

Help get bowling in the Olympics

Post by preoakes »

There is a movement to get bowling as an official sport in the 2024 Olympics in Paris. There is a survey and a petition to sign on http://www.bowlingforgold.com. It's being spearheaded by a bowler and he needs your help to push it. It's also on fb at Movement for Bowling in the Olympics. Please have a look. Thank you.
GrumpyCatFace
Preferred Company: Pyramid

Re: Help get bowling in the Olympics

Post by GrumpyCatFace »

Done!
JimH
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by JimH »

I read a report in a newspaper today about Marathon runners who have some times recognised as record breakers while other times are not recognised because the place the run was done does not conform to to the specifications required for record eligibility.

Bowling has a problem with some bowling centers regularly producing very high scores while others do not. I know many bowlers who will not bowl in centers because they cannot get high scores. I know some bowling centers that will not run tournaments because bowlers that expect to achieve high scores will not bowl in those locations.

How many times have you heard bowlers complain about the lanes, The complainers are not the people who won, but the people who could not adjust their game to suit the lane conditions.

I know some people will say but this is the way the new game is played. Marathon running has been an Olympic sport for over 120 years and it has set standards about the layout of the route for the race. If bowling is ever to become an Olympic sport the specification must be set and accepted by the bowlers.
RobMautner
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Preferred Company: No Preference

Post by RobMautner »

I think that the bigger issue here is the fact that bowling is the only sport where the playing conditions are predetermined by an individual or individuals. Besides the consideration of high vs. low scoring conditions at different bowling centers, we also have the entire right-handed vs. left-handed issue. I really doubt that bowling will ever be considered an Olympic sport for these reasons.
jdrsuper
Positive Axis Point: 4 11/16 over 1 up
Speed: 13 off hand
Rev Rate: 200
Axis Tilt: 24
Axis Rotation: 75
Heavy Oil Ball: Track Logix
Medium Oil Ball: Track Paradox
Light Oil Ball: Hammer Widow Black Urethane
Preferred Company: Ebonite Brands

Post by jdrsuper »

RobMautner wrote:I think that the bigger issue here is the fact that bowling is the only sport where the playing conditions are predetermined by an individual or individuals. Besides the consideration of high vs. low scoring conditions at different bowling centers, we also have the entire right-handed vs. left-handed issue. I really doubt that bowling will ever be considered an Olympic sport for these reasons.
Rob,

I totally agree with what you said but I would add one more point, The bowling balls need to be standardized. I mean the same cores in each ball and the same coverstocks. My choice would be urethane and plastic and banish reactive resin.
Joel Resnick
Hand: Left
PAP: 4 11/16 over 1 up
Speed: 13 off hand
Rev Rate: 200
Axis Tilt: 24
Axis Rotation: 75

No matter what you are trying to do remember simplicity gives better results than over complicating things.
JimH
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by JimH »

jdrsuper wrote:I totally agree with what you said but I would add one more point, The bowling balls need to be standardized. I mean the same cores in each ball and the same coverstocks. My choice would be urethane and plastic and banish reactive resin.
Manipulation of lane conditions to suit certain styles of bowling goes back a long time. It happened when the only bowling balls available were vulcanized rubber. I agree with Rob, I doubt if bowling will ever become an Olympics sport.
ineedhelp

Post by ineedhelp »

jdrsuper wrote:I totally agree with what you said but I would add one more point, The bowling balls need to be standardized. I mean the same cores in each ball and the same coverstocks. My choice would be urethane and plastic and banish reactive resin.
That would, like many usbc rule changes, make it even more favorable to be a power player
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

For those who are familiar with what Del described about this event and are aware of what the athletes thought etc, your comments and insight would be welcomed.

[youtube][/youtube]
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
boomer
THS Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 6 3/16 x 1/2 up
Speed: 13.8 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 230
Preferred Company: Storm (it smells pretty)

Post by boomer »

interesting - I was impressed with the oil volume illustration. It "looks" like a lot of oil until we realize it's spread over 39" x 35+' and then the teen masters volume of oil? LOL - what oil?
Daryl
THS Average: 226
Positive Axis Point: 5 13/16 x 5/16 up
Speed: 15.38 at foul line
Rev Rate: 390
Axis Tilt: 18
Axis Rotation: 55

Post by Daryl »

ineedhelp wrote:
That would, like many usbc rule changes, make it even more favorable to be a power player

Not necessarily. Put down much less oil and it will equalize many power players including myself.
Right Handed Stats:
RPM (off hand) 390
Speed (off hand) 15.3 mph
Axis Tilt; 18 degrees
Axis Rotation: 55 degrees
PAP: 5 13/16" x 5/16" up
vicsmyth

Post by vicsmyth »

kajmk wrote:For those who are familiar with what Del described about this event and are aware of what the athletes thought etc, your comments and insight would be welcomed.
Assuming a flat oil pattern, these conditions would favor shot makers, bowlers who can hit the same line with the same speed and the same hand position and release consistently. Bowlers who shoot straight at most spares would probably be rewarded. Almost no emphasis on equipment choice. Rev rate, or lack thereof, probably wouldn't matter that much. And I would guess that since the lanes start out fairly dry you will not get a lot of burning up of the fronts or carry down oil, so very little lane transition to have to adjust for (though I'm guessing).

If you were going to have bowling in the Olympics you would probably want similar rules to level the playing field.