Storm video - Should I change my ball weight

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Storm video - Should I change my ball weight

Post by kajmk »

[youtube][/youtube]
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
davidjr113
THS Average: 185
Positive Axis Point: 4 5/8 over 1 up
Speed: 17-18 off hand
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 23
Axis Rotation: 40
Preferred Company: Storm

Re: Storm video - Should I change my ball weight

Post by davidjr113 »

Interesting video, also a subject explored in detail, in the book “Bowling Beyond the Basics” by James Freeman & Ron Hatfield. It seems to me, having been forced by injury to drop in weight and now slowly going back up, the only way to know the best weight for you is trial and error. Both of these sources, anyway, debunk the long held idea that the heaviest you can comfortably roll, is the best option. Unfortunately trial and error can be a time consuming and expensive process.
Senior Bowler
Tilt 23
Rot 20-40
Speed off hand 17-18
Rev 200-250
PAP 4 5/8 over 1 up RH'd 185+ On THS
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

David, have you read and tried Ron Clifton's article "What weight ..."
http://www.bowl4fun.com/ron/tip14.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ron is a top notch instructor and communicates via the written word. Ron has helped many bowler's at every level for many years.
There are 40+ articles at
http://www.bowl4fun.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Keep in mind that his rpms and speed are part of the pin carry.

Take care.

John
davidjr113
THS Average: 185
Positive Axis Point: 4 5/8 over 1 up
Speed: 17-18 off hand
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 23
Axis Rotation: 40
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by davidjr113 »

Thanks John, I have read Ron’s as well as a lot of his other info. I even tried to set up a small clinic with him early in my nine year second bowling life, but my local centers would not cooperate enough to allow it to happen. Ron’s article really doesn’t consider below 14 lbs. The book I quoted, which I am still reading, as well as the video you posted, go even further. The book does get into the lightweight core issue, which Eric Hartwell has talked about in the past too
Senior Bowler
Tilt 23
Rot 20-40
Speed off hand 17-18
Rev 200-250
PAP 4 5/8 over 1 up RH'd 185+ On THS
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

davidjr113 wrote:Thanks John, I have read Ron’s as well as a lot of his other info. I even tried to set up a small clinic with him early in my nine year second bowling life, but my local centers would not cooperate enough to allow it to happen. Ron’s article really doesn’t consider below 14 lbs. The book I quoted, which I am still reading, as well as the video you posted, go even further. The book does get into the lightweight core issue, which Eric Hartwell has talked about in the past too
I had the pleasure of meeting Ron, chatting with and watching him coach 2 bowlers.
One bowler was about a 150 average novice, the other an advanced player with PBA regional experience. I was impressed with Ron's skill, his style, but most of all, his character.
Both players had contracted for a set time. After the time had expired, Ron worked with the novice (at no charge). He worked until the guy showed improvement and that "he got it".
Note that this was in Phoenix Arizona, Ron's home base is in Carolina.

Now if you pick up weight X, you have a sense of heavy or light. Insert fingers and thumb and swinging it takes more than merely swinging it in a ball sack.
However, swinging it in a ball sack gives you more of a feel.
Putting 2 fingers no thumb in a House ball, palming it, holding it, tells you something.
Doing the same using the other hand to support the ball then mimicking ball placement tells you something ...
If you can do the ball sack test and have a friend watch you to see how you look, that will tell you more, if you hum a tune, listen for stress.
If you cannot work with a coach, consider posting a video set for to analysis the Certified Coaches forum. There may be something in your game that is compromising the efficiency of your game.

I'm also a senior. Time, circumstance,perception and attitude can place limits on us.
If it's a matter of strength and conditioning and within your ability to improve, go for it.
Tom Kouros wrote that the swing can quadruple the weight of the ball, if true, then 1 pound becomes 4.

If you are healthy and your doctor approves, explore some appropriate conditioning. There are bowling conditioning routines. Keep in mind the different ranges of motion.
YouTube Askdrjo is a good resource, YouTube Athlean X is a good resource too.
Temper what you attempt with your own good sense and doctors advice.

Age, is a number, we are all different. I see some octogenarians do some very impressive things at the gym. I won't say how old I am, but I remember when Ike was president.
After flying a desk for decades, then retiring, after a few years, I started going to the gym 3 days a week. After 2.5 years I've made gains, hit some plateaus, lost body fat added muscle.
Better late, than never. Again, we are all different.
As Satchel Paige asked, how old would you be if you did not know how old you were.
Let your body tell you, not the calendar

Enjoy

John
Dax
THS Average: 230

Post by Dax »

davidjr113 wrote:Interesting video, also a subject explored in detail, in the book “Bowling Beyond the Basics” by James Freeman & Ron Hatfield. It seems to me, having been forced by injury to drop in weight and now slowly going back up, the only way to know the best weight for you is trial and error. Both of these sources, anyway, debunk the long held idea that the heaviest you can comfortably roll, is the best option. Unfortunately trial and error can be a time consuming and expensive process.
IMHO - using the highest weight that you are comfortable with still stands.

Notwithstanding the interesting video above - the driving force of that is likely to sell lower weight balls.

If you have a high rev rate dropping weight doesn't cost you too much as you can make of some of it by increasing revs. If you are a straightie, dropping weight will cost you a few corners. The ball are so good these days that 15 lb will do almost as much as 16 lbs.

I wrote an opinion piece in BTM a few years ago (print edition) with cynical slant on ball weight and timing.

(IR) regardless of the video, performance drops off after weight goes under 14 lbs. Some of the physics guys here may confirm or refute that (?Eric)

A few years ago - I was told that both Norm Duke and WRW went to 16 lbs when there was heavy oil - an effort to kick out of few more 10 pins - for their straighter styles. Those guys show know :)
"You see only what you look for; you recognize only what you know"

There are many worlds out there. Some of them can be accessed through reading. Encourage reading - T.A. Sankar

http://www.tasankar.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;