critique the pros!

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

militant02
Preferred Company: free agent

critique the pros!

Post by militant02 »

while watching a telecast recently i recall randy peterson say that ej tackett has a great physical game but he needs to realize that he doesn't need to try to hit a home run on every shot which i understood to mean that he might have a more consistent ball reaction on some patterns if he didn't exert maximum effort on every shot.

although the pros are light years better than i'll ever be it made me think about other past or present pros and what flaws or improvements could other professional bowlers make with their physical or mental games? i've heard a local regional pro say that one particular touring pro that has a great physical game has a hard time being consistent because his first adjustment when the lanes start to transition is to immediately move deep inside sliding near the gutter instead of making a small adjustment with his release to stay further right.

i could be wrong but during the most recent telecast dom barrett had a great ball reaction during his first match but it looked like the shot broke down so much that he might have been better served lowering the amount of rotation that he had so that his ball didn't overeact once it reached the end of the pattern.

does anyone have more examples of improvements that they think a particular pro could make or errors in lane play that you have seen?
Dax
THS Average: 230

Re: critique the pros!

Post by Dax »

should be fun and safe to do with a keyboard.

many many years ago - when I was new to the game-

I met Brian Voss at a beginners bowling clinic.

Being quite naive - I asked him why he left so many 10 pins on TV.

Didn't know that I was wading into an alligator pond -

he got quite angry.
"You see only what you look for; you recognize only what you know"

There are many worlds out there. Some of them can be accessed through reading. Encourage reading - T.A. Sankar

http://www.tasankar.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Re: critique the pros!

Post by krava »

hard to critique when you can't throw the ball correctly in the first place and they throw pretty good. I haven't watched PBA bowling on tv since marshall holman, brian voss, mark roth. What was that early 90s?

I do critique people at league though. Guy has a 214 average or so (223 last year). Every time he throws the ball, in his finish position, his elbow is way out to the right side up in the air. Thumb pointing at 12. His elbow is at ear height. " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (see top postion for right arm. It looks like a chicken wing everytime it is thrown but somehow he is consistant with it. I am still trying to come out of the ball with middle finger at 12 (start with middle finger at 9 index finger pointing at 7 then left it come off the hand. At the bottom index finger and middle fingers are pointing down. As the arm follows through middle finger and next one beside it point at 12 palm is facing straight up not angled. Very easy to turn the ball early. " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (see 35 second mark the hand position) I had this down pretty well for 1 day just before shoulder injury. Ball was rolling extremely well)

His last game I think he got 249. I was ahead of him at the end of the 2nd game at around 410. I made bad decision when the lanes started over hooking and dropped to my most length ball, pin down, controlled and moved 5 boards right and 2 boards at the arrows and should have just moved left. I was throwing across 12 out to around 8 and back in. Problem was that my pushaway was not out in front (I started in the wrong starting postion and ball should have been more right to start with in the starting postion) and more of a diagonal pushaway which got my swing going in the wrong direction to start with instead of straight and that is how I missed right a few shots and even hit the gutter ending up with 16 in 2nd frame. 8/ first frame or something then - then moved 5 right hit 8 board instead of 10 and only got 6. Corrected that after that. Lesson learned. Only move back right if the ball is dead and stops hooking and downgrade it etc. (Can also move left and keep the ball away from hiting the deadzone early and rolling out) but easier just to downgrade the ball and move right. Move from a medium heavy oil ball to a light oil ball since it is dry out there. The problem with that is shots have to be on target and no miss room there (atleast not to the right).