Ways to "sneak" fitness into your day ...

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Ways to "sneak" fitness into your day ...

Post by kajmk »

Here's hoping that 2019 is a happy, healthy, and safe for all.

As with any new physical activity, your health situation and physiology should dictate.
I was getting rid of old periodicals to recycle.
Pulled an article from AARP, 10 ways to sneak fitness into your day.
Remember, these are geared for the 50+ crowd.
Regardless of age, if you have a sedentary occupation, these represent a bridge or perhaps a good start to improvement.

Here is a somewhat distilled version of a 2017 March article.

Just in case, you are looking for or need such tips.
If this is all easy peasy for you, I commend you.
Personally, I have decades of neglect to make up for.

1 WHILE WAITING AROUND.
In a line. Squeeze your butt 10 times. Tighten your stomach 10 times. Stretch your arms downward behind you and squeeze your triceps 10 times. Rise up on your toes and squeeze your calves 10 times.

2 WHILE SITTING AROUND.
Keep a tennis ball at your desk and by your favorite chair at home. At least twice a day grab a the ball and squeeze it tightly. Hold for 5 seconds, then release slowly. Repeat 10 to 15 times daily.

3 AT THE SUPERMARKET. (Definitely has its practical limits ...)
Ditch the cart. Using your reusable tote bags one over each shoulder cruise the aisles grabbing what you need.

4 WHEN WORKING AT A DESK.
Swap a stability ball for your usual perch for 20 to 30 minute periods. Be sure to stand up and walk around frequently too.

5 WHILE BRUSHING YOUR TEETH.
Stand on one foot for 60 seconds then switch. When that's easy, try balancing while lifting one leg to the side. (I'm adding this, when these are easy, close your eyes)

6 WHILE MAKING DINNER.
When waiting, do arm circles, holding arms out to side, parallel to the ground, make circles like you are drawing with your fingers, do 15 clockwise then 15 counter clockwise

7 WHILE YOUR BEVERAGES BREW.
Coffee/Tea
For Calves and Achilles tendons. Stand at arms length from the wall and place one foot behind the other keeping the heels down and knees straight. Lean toward the wall, bracing with your arms. Bend your forward leg to stretch the calf of your back leg. Hold for 30 seconds switch feet.

8 WHEN GETTING OUT OF A CHAIR.
Every time you stand up or sit down, use just your legs or just one hand at first. Do this 10 times a day.

9 WHEN AT A STOP LIGHT.
Counter gravity's effects by tightening your pelvic floor muscles (as if you have to pee and you are "holding it in") when you are waiting at a traffic light, hold for a 10-count then release for 10. Repeat until the light turns green.

10 WHILE WATCHING TV
Like on your side and do 3 sets of 15 leg lifts, then three sets of 15 leg circles--raising your leg and rotating it in a circular motion. Switch sides.

Cheers!!!
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John