Beginner - Shoes modification to get more traction

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

PinPost

Beginner - Shoes modification to get more traction

Post by PinPost »

Hi,

Just started bowling couple of months ago. (right hander)

During the training i discovered that the coach said that you need to "push" with your left leg backwards to get more speed in the ball. The starter kit shoes of course has the left shoe with a velvet sole, so no real traction.

Has anybody modified some of the entry level shoes with a proper rubber sole?

Thinking of buying a bowling rubber sole, rip the velvet shit of and use epoxy to glue the rubber sole in place?

If I would known in the beginning, I would have of course insistead to get a left hander shoe set.

Why do they even call the right shoe as a braking shoe? I doesnt even brake, It just goes behind you when you crounch.

Humour :roll: ;) :
"ProshopVader: Welcome to my Proshop, Oh you are beginner :lol: , here is some equipment that is cheap but you will come back :twisted:"
vicsmyth

Re: Beginner - Shoes modification to get more traction

Post by vicsmyth »

PBA bowler Mike Fagan would wear a tennis shoe on his right foot when he needed more traction. USBC allows this as long as it's a shoe dedicated for bowling and not one that is worn outside. I don't slide at all so, based on a recommendation from my PSO, I use a pair of Vans. I checked with the manager of the bowling alley first, as long as they are not worn outside they are okay with it as well.
boomer
THS Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 6 3/16 x 1/2 up
Speed: 13.8 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 230
Preferred Company: Storm (it smells pretty)

Post by boomer »

PinPost wrote:Hi,

Just started bowling couple of months ago. (right hander)

During the training i discovered that the coach said that you need to "push" with your left leg backwards to get more speed in the ball. The starter kit shoes of course has the left shoe with a velvet sole, so no real traction.

Has anybody modified some of the entry level shoes with a proper rubber sole?

Thinking of buying a bowling rubber sole, rip the velvet shit of and use epoxy to glue the rubber sole in place?

If I would known in the beginning, I would have of course insistead to get a left hander shoe set.

Why do they even call the right shoe as a braking shoe? I doesnt even brake, It just goes behind you when you crounch.

Humour :roll: ;) :
"ProshopVader: Welcome to my Proshop, Oh you are beginner :lol: , here is some equipment that is cheap but you will come back :twisted:"
Push with your LEFT leg? That's your slide, not your push.

Your slide shoe can have some braking ability - the heel will be a hard rubber that will enable you to control your slide. That one is a balance between slide with the front of your foot and brake with your heel.

But your right shoe is more your "power" shoe. You push off into your slide with it, then it swings around to counter-balance you.

But yes - my stepson wears a Converse on his right foot. He was INSISTENT that he didn't need a special shoe on his right. . . it was FINE. He got new shoes, both slide shoes, and I sighed and said "just TRY it. Wear your Converse on your right - let's clean it good, then just give it a try" - we did on a practice evening and he's never gone back. ROFL - but then I'm just the stepdad. SMH.

Anyway - welcome!!! Remember, it's FUN. We'll try to help out, sympathize, and laugh WITH you! :)
spmcgivern
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 4 3/4" and 1/4" up
Speed: 17-18 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 400

Post by spmcgivern »

Any shoe can be used as long as your shoes do not deface the approach or cause issues for other bowlers. (though some centers may try to enforce "house rules")

You could also have a cobbler add a rubber sole to your non-sliding shoe.
Viper
THS Average: 199
Sport Average: 172
Positive Axis Point: 5 x 1/2 up
Speed: 15 at the foul line
Rev Rate: 315
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 45
Medium Oil Ball: 14 lbs. Hammer Raw Orange/Black Hybrid

Post by Viper »

I believe Brunswick sells a slip-over-the-shoe sock that is coated with rubber on the bottom of the sock. Held in place with an elastic band. It's the opposite of a slide sock.
Left-handed
PAP 5 x 1/2 up
Tilt: 15*
Rot: 45*
Rev: 315
Speed: 15 at the camera
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Post by 44boyd »

Search “Dexter Power Step”, it gives you front foot traction
Stacy
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

vicsmyth wrote:PBA bowler Mike Fagan would wear a tennis shoe on his right foot when he needed more traction. USBC allows this as long as it's a shoe dedicated for bowling and not one that is worn outside. I don't slide at all so, based on a recommendation from my PSO, I use a pair of Vans. I checked with the manager of the bowling alley first, as long as they are not worn outside they are okay with it as well.
Good information. If this K.I.S.S. solution is good enough for a pro, I'd try it first.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
PinPost

Post by PinPost »

Thanks for the replies!
VLe
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
Speed: 17
Rev Rate: 320
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 55
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by VLe »

PinPost wrote:you need to "push" with your left leg backwards to get more speed in the ball.
This is bothering me a bit. I'd say that if you are coaching, especially a beginner, you should really focus more about making the speed with a proper swing rather than faster feet. And yes, you can add ball speed with faster feet but it's not that simple process because it is altering the timing and several other things that can cause other problems later.

A good personal observation about adding ball speed. Few months ago I was in coach training camp where I was analyzing my throw with specto-system. I have used hinge-type pushaway many years now with rather low swing and I have made my ball speed more with my feet. Now I practiced throwing with pushaway and “free” swing. Just as they are teaching nowadays, especially in ETBF (European tenpin bowling federation). Before I was throwing about 16-17mph. Now with the “new style” I could easily throw the ball 20mph with a lot less effort.

Coaching as it is nowadays have gone through a lot of modifications, especially in the last few years. One big change is that learning process is to be chronological. What this means in bowling is that in the “traditional way” of learning is that the person would go to the foul line to do drillings and then add 1 step, then 3-steps and so on. Chronological would mean that we are focusing on actions that are happening before the actual problems. At first we practice the timing and pushaway at start with different drills, then doing first 2-steps and so on.

I am not judging that your coach’s comment was stupid in any case. I haven’t seen your delivery. Just an observation. I (as being a coach) would not personally never suggest anyone who has just started bowling to push backwards with a leg to get more speed to the ball. It is possible to throw the ball well over 20mph with just bare socks on if you have a proper technique.

Here is Osku throwing over 30mph with very powerful swing:
[youtube][/youtube]
Right Handed
PAP 4 3/8" x 0"
60* rotation
17.5* tilt
320-360 rev rate
17mph off hand
PinPost

Post by PinPost »

VLe wrote:
This is bothering me a bit. I'd say that if you are coaching, especially a beginner, you should really focus more about making the speed with a proper swing rather than faster feet. And yes, you can add ball speed with faster feet but it's not that simple process because it is altering the timing and several other things that can cause other problems later.
Thanks VLe for your comments, probably my explanation in terms of bowling was little to vague.

I have now been training at my local bowling alley in LA and I guess the problem was more my balance than the shoe. Thats a fast shot in the video! :o
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

A few videos on improving balance and ankle strength.
A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.
Granted musculature is not the sole component of balance.

Test yourself using some of Jo's examples. Strength and flexibility are variables most of us can improve.

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

A bowling drill and kudos to Rolf Gauger
There is a bowling drill that Rolf Gauger called "the blind drill".
Simply this, when the ball is at its maximum height, close your eyes, do not open until your follow thru is complete. I'd advise a practice without the ball first and with adequate room ...
Rolf passed away several years ago, he wrote syndicated articles and was a regular contributor to Bowling This Month. He was a former PSO and coached for decades.
His students improved. He had the respect and friendship of John Jowdy. Rolf even managed to make me better and that borders on miraculous.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John