World Men’s Championship in Hong Kong

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

future

World Men’s Championship in Hong Kong

Post by future »

Anybody watching these where the US lost 3 out of 4 finals and wondering what were the losses down to?
JimH
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Re: World Men’s Championship in Hong Kong

Post by JimH »

Chris Sloan from Ireland came 3rd. Well done Chris.
vicsmyth

Post by vicsmyth »

It's on Flobowling, the outfit that took over xtraframe. Problem with Flobowling is that every time you go to their website to watch an archived event they show a headline with who won and spoil it.
flibblesh
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by flibblesh »

JimH wrote:Chris Sloan from Ireland came 3rd. Well done Chris.
:D
Steven Bourgaize

Rev Rate: Roughly 300
Ball Weight: 15lb
PAP: Smear
Span: Teeny
guruU2
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by guruU2 »

The World has caught up with the United States in the sport of tenpin bowling- the direct result of marketing bowling, in this country, as a recreational game while in other countries it is considered a challenging sport. I predicted this on Lenny Nicholson's Phantom Radio internet show well over 10 years ago. Sad, Sad song.
-Gary Parsons
If one does not know one's product, one can not manage nor promote the product one does not know.
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Post by 44boyd »

guruU2 wrote:The World has caught up with the United States in the sport of tenpin bowling- the direct result of marketing bowling, in this country, as a recreational game while in other countries it is considered a challenging sport. I predicted this on Lenny Nicholson's Phantom Radio internet show well over 10 years ago. Sad, Sad song.
I wouldn’t say sad, just like the World Cup in baseball it could be the wake up call we need. I’d say the team choice was interesting for USA, all power besides Anderson and Barnes for today’s standard. Think a little more seasoned team or mix might have had a more impressive outcome.
Stacy
future

Post by future »

It was disappointing to see the PBA stars losing in 3 out of 4 finals, especially in the manner they did. One typical example would be Barnes whiffing one shot to the right and then missing the resulting 1-2-4-8 spare badly to the left of the headpin. And while all this was happening, a headline on FloBowling says: "Podcast: Blanchard says mental game separates winners from losers."
JimH
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by JimH »

guruU2 wrote:The World has caught up with the United States in the sport of tenpin bowling- the direct result of marketing bowling, in this country, as a recreational game while in other countries it is considered a challenging sport.
Most bowling centers in Ireland are promoted as recreational bowling centers. There are fewer than 50 bowling centers in the country with very few promoting the competitive aspect of the sport. While Chris Sloan finished 3rd - the team of 6 men from Ireland finished 23rd of the 47 teams entered
guruU2
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by guruU2 »

JimH wrote: Most bowling centers in Ireland are promoted as recreational bowling centers. There are fewer than 50 bowling centers in the country with very few promoting the competitive aspect of the sport. While Chris Sloan finished 3rd - the team of 6 men from Ireland finished 23rd of the 47 teams entered
I believe this post indicates my hypothesis is correct. In the given social-cultural context, the greater emphasis placed on the sport will produce better Players. The social-cultural context which places emphasis on the recreational aspect of the game will not. The American culture has been running from the sport and to the recreational aspect of the business, for over 46 years, resulting in the American declined relative to the rest of the world.
-Gary Parsons
If one does not know one's product, one can not manage nor promote the product one does not know.
spmcgivern
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 4 3/4" and 1/4" up
Speed: 17-18 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 400

Post by spmcgivern »

You can't discount availability of quality coaching or the how easy it is to get quality information on the internet . In the past, whoever had the best coaching usually won. Now there are great coaches in several countries with coaching programs some would say are better than the US. There is also quality information online where one could probably teach themselves the basics better than ever. This may lead to more interest and seeking out better coaching.

I think it is a little unfair to all participants by assuming the US should win. The US bowlers are great and we do have a larger pool of players to choose from, but other countries put in hard work and are seeing their hard work rewarded.
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Post by 44boyd »

Countries like Malaysia and Singapore even employ their bowlers full time, so we don’t even do that. So that will close the gap significantly if others follow.
Stacy
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

spmcgivern wrote:
I think it is a little unfair to all participants by assuming the US should win. The US bowlers are great and we do have a larger pool of players to choose from, but other countries put in hard work and are seeing their hard work rewarded.
Excellent point and sentiments. Incentives may also be a factor.
Years ago, Don Johnson commented that in high school, the emphasis and attention was on basketball and football. Bowling was something that you did not have to big and strong to do and at that point, he decided to be a pro bowler.

Another thing to consider is that the U.S. also has many more sporting options than other countries.

Things change.

Regardless of who or where, it's good to see effort, desire, and ability rewarded.

Do I lament the state and stature of bowling in the U.S.?
Most definitely yes. We can do what we can to encourage, educate people to be the best they can at whatever they choose to pursue.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John