Dealing with carrydown on league night.

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Fyrfyghtr
Preferred Company: Fyrfyghtr Forge

Dealing with carrydown on league night.

Post by Fyrfyghtr »

I bowl on a league with some very good bowlers. But also several high handicap bowlers using plastic and urethane balls. My 1st game avg is 205 2nd is 198 and 3rd is 179. I am finding that I am loosing hook as the night goes on. I keep moving back and right and can hit the pocket but I have poor carry. On nights when there are only reactive balls on both teams I do much better. I have to assume that there is carrydown on the lanes. What is the best way to combat this issue?
scotts33
Positive Axis Point: 4 7/8" > 3/8" up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 325
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 60
Heavy Oil Ball: Motiv T10 LE 60* 4" 60* no hole symm. OOB pin down

Re: Dealing with carrydown on league night.

Post by scotts33 »

JR Raymond posted this yesterday on his YT channel. IF you can go around the carry down I definitely subscribe to this theory. The issue becomes with more volume to the outside boards this kind of lane play can get tricky if you aren't matched up well with ball , ball surface, layout, and your stats., etc.

[youtube][/youtube]
Fyrfyghtr
Preferred Company: Fyrfyghtr Forge

Post by Fyrfyghtr »

Thanks that makes a lot of sense.
TomaHawk
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by TomaHawk »

At 00.46 in the time line, he states, the head oil has been depleted. That is the problem. The end result, if the bowler is using a resin ball, the ball will trap in the heads, hit the oil in the middle of the lane, and feel as if the lane is suffering from "carry down".

The only way I describe the effect, it's like driving a car on dry pavement, then suddenly, the driver encounters an icy condition, a little further down, the pavement becomes dry again. If the tread on tires does not minimize the difference between the dry and icy conditions, the car will be out of control. To that extent, the show host suggests going to urethane to equalize that particular issue. Urethane exhibits a more controlled rolling characteristic.

To be certain, there is still oil in the heads, just not enough oil to advance most resin coverstocks through the desired phases of ball reaction. Compared to urethane, resins are more like a snow tire with studs and chains. The bowler has to move to an area of the lane where that type of rolling characteristic would be required to get the ball into the proper roll phases which are necessary to hit the pocket effectively.