Making adjustments when when playing deeper angles.

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Making adjustments when when playing deeper angles.

Post by krava »

When playing a straight line or a semi straight line such as putting the ball down around 12 or 13 accoss 10 to 8 at the beaking point and then back in, doing a 1 and 1 or 2 and 1 move is easy to do and most of the time fixes the problem when you need to adjust, depending on who else is playing on the lane and where. For the sake of argument, lets say you are on a fresh lane, no one else bowling but you. Doing 1 and 1 and 2 and 1 moves work. Also it isn't that hard to hit. You can move 1 board left and then hit a board left of the 10.

Lets take a steeper angle. lets say putting the ball down around 17 accross 12 and then out to 8 . Instead of your body facing straight, in order to do this angle your body is facing toward the 7 pin. When the ball starts taking off a little early or hitting high, what kind of adjustments should you start making?
I don't think a 1 and 1 or 2 and 1 adjustment is possible. I know that when I try a 2 and 1 move, I move my feet left and somehow hit the same mark out on the lane, then the ball goes further right at the breakpoint and then i start splitting because the ball is getting into the dry too fast.

What kind of movements should you start? 5 and 2?

I started tonight trying to play the 2nd arrow but the balls started hooking way to early. I could have downgraded the ball and played in that spot. I recently bought a radical conspiracy because I need a lighter ball that has a stronger then benchmark reaction. it is a lot more angular in the backend then I am used to.
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Re: Making adjustments when when playing deeper angles.

Post by JMerrell »

Your post on November 2
krava wrote:taking indefinate time off. got someone to bowl for me on thurs for the next 2 weeks, going to tell people on sunday can't make it there on monday for at least 2 weeks. I can't do much on drills, even no weight swinging arm in the motion hurts some.
TAKE THE TIME OFF!
You have been battling pain off and on for some time now. You stated above that even doing the drills without a ball hurts.....yet a week later you are back on the lanes throwing full shots.

Worrying about how to adjust when not able to play the proverbial second arrow forces you into another part of the lane. Do to the compensations in your physical game you are not accurate enough to evaluate your moves.

Warning Number #2
1) There are many members on this site that have reached out to help answer your questions from time to time. Even though many of your questions have been redundant. I reached out personally as I felt you had an honest desire to improve.

2) But, you have to help us help you by taking time off to heal properly.

3) I can not stop you from bowling as you're a grown man, but if I see another post in Bowling Chat the next two weeks that reflect you are back on the lanes, I will delete my post in the Coaching Discussion Forum and we will be through.
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"
TomaHawk
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by TomaHawk »

+ a zillion ^

He is so articulate though.
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

I have taken time off and will take another week or so off. The only reason I was back on the lane was the person that was suppose to sub for me didn't show up. It was storming outside and I guess he didn't show because of that. They have weird rules for these leagues. If you are in a mixed league and there isn't at least 1 member of the opposite sex, then you forfiet all of the games. I just didn't want us to forfeit them all because it was my fault I am hurt and couldn't do anything. The good part is there was no pain when throwing the ball and no pain the next day and none for today. If i felt anything when in practice I would have walked out. I didn't bowl monday at all because it isn't a mixed league type of rule thing. I don't like lettting people down, i had no problem walking out if that guy "chase" would have showed up like he said he would. He was there last thurs and I asked him to show up for 2 weeks for me. He chickened out because of the bad rain.

I haven't given up on these drills etc. As soon as possible I take the time off you say but after that we get back to the drills. I am eating 150gm of protein a day or more trying to heal up the shoulder.
Bluelobstor
THS Average: 208
Positive Axis Point: 6 1/4 over 0 up or down
Speed: 16.5 off hand
Rev Rate: 450
Axis Tilt: 10
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: AMF XS Technology
Medium Oil Ball: Track Paradox/AMF XS Technology
Light Oil Ball: Combat Tank
Preferred Company: All

Post by Bluelobstor »

Krava,
I play deeper than you and still move 2 and 1 sometimes. It all depends on how many people are playing a similar line. On our 5 man team league sometimes I do move 5 and 2 or 5 and 3 if the majority are playing the same line.

I would hesitate to say that a 2 and 1 move doesn't work for you when by your own admission you didn't hit where you were aiming.

If you are in pain then take the time off. At the very least I wouldn't put much stock in the adjustments you are making and their outcome as they may be a by product of a crutch delivery, if that makes sense.

With regards to your mixed league double check the rules as I'm in a mixed league that requires at least one of each sex but yet that one person can be put in blind.

Jason
PAP 6 1/4 over 0 up or down. Pap figured from the center of the bridge.
Rev Rate ~450
Speed 16.5 off the hand
Axis Tilt 10 Degrees
Axis Rotation 40-50 degrees
1 Hand 2 Finger Delivery
JJakobsen
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Sport Average: 180
Positive Axis Point: 3 1/2 right, 1 1/2 up
Speed: 15.5 downlane
Rev Rate: 450
Axis Tilt: 0
Axis Rotation: 30
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Marvel Pearl
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick Inferno
Light Oil Ball: Storm Timeless
Preferred Company: 900 Global

Post by JJakobsen »

krava wrote:They have weird rules for these leagues. If you are in a mixed league and there isn't at least 1 member of the opposite sex, then you forfiet all of the games. I just didn't want us to forfeit them all because it was my fault I am hurt and couldn't do anything.
Its not your fault, nor your issue, if you get a sub, and he doesn't care to show up. Its not your fault that you are injured (unless you got some deeeeeeep issues).

Start there first. If you ask your team this: "My sub didn't show, you want me to play?", they say "Yes". If you instead ask them "I am injured, and that is why I have a sub to play for me. He didn't show I hear, do you want me to destroy my hand/arm/shoulder, maybe for life, to save your mixed league team?", they better not say "Yes".

Its your body, you got this ONE body. If it hurts, listen to it. I bowl with intense pain in my ring finger every day, due to a mix of bad stuff (span, technique and so on), and I regret every decision I took that involved letting it become even worse.
68.2353°N 14.5636°E is where it happens!
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

taking time off will be back after thanksgiving or a week after. Shoulder hurt a few days after typing the last post by just cutting up meat. wasn't bad hurt but still felt the spot. I got rid of my workers and busy in the shop and business. Will get computer business going again and then come back in a few weeks do the drills and figure out how to throw the ball properly and then work on the rest later.
boomer
THS Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 6 3/16 x 1/2 up
Speed: 13.8 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 230
Preferred Company: Storm (it smells pretty)

Post by boomer »

krava wrote:When playing a straight line or a semi straight line such as putting the ball down around 12 or 13 accoss 10 to 8 at the beaking point and then back in, doing a 1 and 1 or 2 and 1 move is easy to do and most of the time fixes the problem when you need to adjust, depending on who else is playing on the lane and where. For the sake of argument, lets say you are on a fresh lane, no one else bowling but you. Doing 1 and 1 and 2 and 1 moves work. Also it isn't that hard to hit. You can move 1 board left and then hit a board left of the 10.

Lets take a steeper angle. lets say putting the ball down around 17 accross 12 and then out to 8 . Instead of your body facing straight, in order to do this angle your body is facing toward the 7 pin. When the ball starts taking off a little early or hitting high, what kind of adjustments should you start making?
I don't think a 1 and 1 or 2 and 1 adjustment is possible. I know that when I try a 2 and 1 move, I move my feet left and somehow hit the same mark out on the lane, then the ball goes further right at the breakpoint and then i start splitting because the ball is getting into the dry too fast.

What kind of movements should you start? 5 and 2?

I started tonight trying to play the 2nd arrow but the balls started hooking way to early. I could have downgraded the ball and played in that spot. I recently bought a radical conspiracy because I need a lighter ball that has a stronger then benchmark reaction. it is a lot more angular in the backend then I am used to.
Instead of trying to figure out a formula, picture what's going on. A formula is there as a basis to work FROM, not a strict rule - it's a rule of thumb, not a hard and fast law.

So if you're swinging it and it's taking off early and hitting high - what does this mean that the oil is doing? Likely the breakpoint you're using is drier than expected - so picture what you might need to try to work with it. Parallel move left so you stay a bit longer in the oil? 2:1 move so you hit a little more oil and have a little more angle? Heck, depending on what the oil was showing me, I've moved 5:5 RIGHT to get to a whole new area (this was when there were 3 or 4 others hitting my breakpoint and we were crossing streams, err, lines)

I always have a problem with people asking for a formula to do something. Bowling has FAR too many variables to come up with a hard and fast formula. It's actually easier to picture it in your brain - at least to me - and try to figure THAT out. Of course, that's no guarantee (you're 45 feet away, can't see the oil, can't actually see exactly what your ball is doing, etc. We're estimating based on visual cues from long distance. . . ) but then formulas only really fit specific scenarios.

Same goes with a 3-6-9 spare system. It's a good framework to teach someone how to START consistent sparing, but it's just that, a framework. Customize, adjust, fit, and then execute. :)

Just my few cents. Some inflation included.