can't stop pulling it.

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Bluelobstor
THS Average: 208
Positive Axis Point: 6 1/4 over 0 up or down
Speed: 16.5 off hand
Rev Rate: 450
Axis Tilt: 10
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: AMF XS Technology
Medium Oil Ball: Track Paradox/AMF XS Technology
Light Oil Ball: Combat Tank
Preferred Company: All

Re: can't stop pulling it.

Post by Bluelobstor »

JJakobsen wrote: Two-handed and two-finger is easier to get revs with. And that attracts young people: Shortcuts.
30% of people playing casually (open play) under 30 play with two fingers here.

The few that take the step up to joining the local bowling club struggle with regular one-handed bowling with hook, and get impatient and angry because they can just hook it with two fingers instead, whats the point of the thumb, they ask me.
If you don't mind me asking what is the point of the thumb when people can throw just as well and consistently without one. I ask this on a serious note as I have bowled without a thumb for almost 25 years. It started out with me and a friend extreme bowling on Friday nights and seeing how much we could hook the plastic house ball. From there I learned to control it and decided just to stay with it. At times I've thought about throwing with a thumb but figure what's the point.

Jason
PAP 6 1/4 over 0 up or down. Pap figured from the center of the bridge.
Rev Rate ~450
Speed 16.5 off the hand
Axis Tilt 10 Degrees
Axis Rotation 40-50 degrees
1 Hand 2 Finger Delivery
boomer
THS Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 6 3/16 x 1/2 up
Speed: 13.8 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 230
Preferred Company: Storm (it smells pretty)

Re: can't stop pulling it.

Post by boomer »

Bluelobstor wrote:
If you don't mind me asking what is the point of the thumb when people can throw just as well and consistently without one. I ask this on a serious note as I have bowled without a thumb for almost 25 years. It started out with me and a friend extreme bowling on Friday nights and seeing how much we could hook the plastic house ball. From there I learned to control it and decided just to stay with it. At times I've thought about throwing with a thumb but figure what's the point.

Jason
I know for me, I could not come even CLOSE to the degree of consistency I have with my thumb in the ball. I see very very few people who bowl thumbless and are consistent. I see a number of thumbless bowlers (an entire team - I call them the Thumbless Wonders) but very few are at all consistent

And even more - I see very very few who are adaptable. When the lanes fit them, they rip it up (if they're consistent) but when they get dry (which they have been lately) they stumble a lot.

Just my two cents - I admire you putting in the work to get successful with no thumb (and I'm assuming still one-handed) - I just don't see people doing it.