Bowling Videos on DVD Issue

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Glenn

Bowling Videos on DVD Issue

Post by Glenn »

I hope this is not an inappropriate question on this forum.

On occasion, I buy USBC Bowling Academy DVDs of various subjects of interest to me.
Every once in a while, I get one where the audio is only present on the left stereo channel and absent on the right stereo channel (no audio output on the right channel). When playing them on the computer, it is an annoyance that can be remedied with settings on some of the video player software.
However, I purchase DVDs because I like to play them on a bigger screen TV where the (my) DVD player cannot be manipulated to address the one-sided sound.

I do get this issue with some YouTube videos, but I can change computer software setting to deal with it.

Has anyone had this experience with these DVDs and trying to play them through the TV rather than a computer?
boomer
THS Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 6 3/16 x 1/2 up
Speed: 13.8 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 230
Preferred Company: Storm (it smells pretty)

Re: Bowling Videos on DVD Issue

Post by boomer »

i haven't had that issue, but I bought a Chromecast ($35) that I use to play Youtube or just about anything on my main TV. Then you could use your software settings to play the sound how and where you want, you know?
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Glenn wrote:I hope this is not an inappropriate question on this forum.

On occasion, I buy USBC Bowling Academy DVDs of various subjects of interest to me.
Every once in a while, I get one where the audio is only present on the left stereo channel and absent on the right stereo channel (no audio output on the right channel). When playing them on the computer, it is an annoyance that can be remedied with settings on some of the video player software.
However, I purchase DVDs because I like to play them on a bigger screen TV where the (my) DVD player cannot be manipulated to address the one-sided sound.

I do get this issue with some YouTube videos, but I can change computer software setting to deal with it.

Has anyone had this experience with these DVDs and trying to play them through the TV rather than a computer?

If you can copy the DVD to the computer, then manipulate the software as you say, then you can try creating your own DVD. Is this viable?
Depending on software, you might be able to copy the existing sound to the other side.
Possible? Subject to software.
DAK an electronics company might have a solution. Drop their tech support an email.
Couldn't hurt ...
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

Given if this happens with your dvd player also on your tv, then its a problem with the dvd. Just contact the company and get them replaced (if they have fixed the problem).

While unlikely A remote possibility is that its just one sided mono sound and thats the way it was supposed to be.
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Thanks for all of the replies.

Of the 12 DVDs I purchased, 8 DVDs are correctly encoded to have audio on the left and right channels. I can "fix" them myself, but it irritates me no end (and they are annoying to listen to) that I have to take the time to rip the DVDs, manipulate these fairly large files, encode them correctly, and then burn new DVDs when I paid good money with the expectation that they would play audio on both channels. /rant off

The company that handles this for the USBC is like dealing with the utility company. They stated that they are not able to redo the DVDs in stereo at this time (why not?? And they are already in stereo which is the problem - should have been encoded in mono when no stereo output is present). I have the option of sending the ones that are not in stereo back (I get to pay the shipping - insult to injury thing) to them for a refund, but they will have to be the complete sets (I don't even know what this means as I bought individual DVDs).

I am not familiar with how the Chrome Cast thingy would work in this situation. I will have to read up on it. Everything I read says that a cheap and dirty way to deal with it on a TV and DVD player combo is to buy some kind of stereo-to-mono adapter for a set of headphones - still looking at that (just when you need Radio Shack ...)