Finger, Hands, Wrists, oh my. Proactive & Remedial Measures

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Finger, Hands, Wrists, oh my. Proactive & Remedial Measures

Post by kajmk »

Hopefully none of you have or will have physical issues that adversely affect you.
Bowling is seemingly simple to the casual observer, the many who have toiled or plateaued know better.

One way of learning is from mistakes, if your lucky, they are someone else's ...

Your most important asset is your curiosity, nourish your mind.

[youtube][/youtube]

In our quest for improvement in our sport, we sometimes overlook the little things, until sometimes they stop us in our tracks like a pebble in a shoe.

A lesson from a well know science fiction novel.

[youtube][/youtube]

There are various free resources on the web, BowlingChat is one for our sport, here are a few that can help your bowling and many of the seemingly little things may take for granted.

A few such quality resources by physical therapists and trainers

Athlean-x for men; Athlean-x for women
Askdrjo

I've selected only a few examples.

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Re: Finger, Hands, Wrists, oh my. Proactive & Remedial Measu

Post by krava »

how do you take proactive measures on this:

went to practice today (yes I know got to send in clips but don't want to look like a fool until I have a few more things down). I couldn't get the ball to hook or roll right. I remember some trick about tucking your pinky finger under. I threw the ball 3 times. All 3 I finally got the thing to move and got X. 3rd time almost ripped a part of my pinky finger which is pressed on the side of the ball off. I guess the friction from the ball did that or something. Do you put some kind of tape on the pinky finger or that was the wrong way to do it? The next shot, i put the tip of my pinky finger on the ball instead of tucking it in and nothing happend and it was fine.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: Finger, Hands, Wrists, oh my. Proactive & Remedial Measu

Post by kajmk »

krava wrote:how do you take proactive measures on this:

went to practice today (yes I know got to send in clips but don't want to look like a fool until I have a few more things down). I couldn't get the ball to hook or roll right. I remember some trick about tucking your pinky finger under. I threw the ball 3 times. All 3 I finally got the thing to move and got X. 3rd time almost ripped a part of my pinky finger which is pressed on the side of the ball off. I guess the friction from the ball did that or something. Do you put some kind of tape on the pinky finger or that was the wrong way to do it? The next shot, i put the tip of my pinky finger on the ball instead of tucking it in and nothing happend and it was fine.
krava, every article I've ever seen on the pinky tuck says it's not for everyone.
Joint flexibility is a big factor. Of course there will be friction on skin.
Ron Clifton wrote 40+ tips that are on his website which we reference on our wiki.
If I recall correctly, "Finger dancing" has mention of the pinky tuck.
I know a guy who did the pinky tuck intuitively, never saw or read it.
There's an old saying, "if it hurts when you do that, don't do that"

krava, your attention is misplaced. A doctor treats a hemorrhage before a hang nail.
To reiterate, while you are working on Jim's points, use your spare ball and your straight ball release, pretend you are shooting a single pin. To practice alignment pick different pins.
S##t Can the other stuff.

Here we have Dollar Tree stores, everything is $1 or less.
They have these large poster material, two for a dollar, various colors.
They have magnets and dry erase markers.
You could write Jim's salient points in large print on the poster.
Print off his lesson plan and pictures
Put this on the door of your refrigerator as a daily reminder.

In the final analysis, you will do what you want to do.
Fix the engine, don't polish the chrome.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John