For Nord: Full roller vs Modern Release Experiment

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

56bird

Re: For Nord: Full roller vs Modern Release Experiment

Post by 56bird »

Sorry but IMO this whole idea "average doesn't matter" is the cry of someone who just isn't very good. I can relate to that, because, neither am I. It's a hobby, I'm not trying to make my living at this.

Bowling average is THE MAIN METRIC for bowling performance. That's it! There are no points for style. It's not "how", it's "how many".

I would argue that what a bowler does in pressure situations is a secondary intangible.

I ask you, does Walter Ray Williams Jr roll the ball correctly? Keep in mind he is the greatest bowler alive if not of all time.

The best bowlers are good at whatever it is they do and just know how to get the pins to fall for them. If you're standing there watching the best average bowler in the house thinking "well he hooked it at that 4-pin, he sucks..." He's leading the house, what else do you want from him???
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Post by 44boyd »

[youtube][/youtube]

Krava, I would refer back to what Jim has provided to you. Focusing on your lower half “should” be the purpose of these drills but somehow you’ve taken it to finger placement. Watch your videos, you fall all over the place so no matter where your fingers are being consistent will be tough. Without being consistent, repeatability will be almost impossible. Refocus on building the base, which is not the release.
Stacy
JJakobsen
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Sport Average: 180
Positive Axis Point: 3 1/2 right, 1 1/2 up
Speed: 15.5 downlane
Rev Rate: 450
Axis Tilt: 0
Axis Rotation: 30
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Marvel Pearl
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick Inferno
Light Oil Ball: Storm Timeless
Preferred Company: 900 Global

Post by JJakobsen »

kajmk wrote:Special "k"
Why are you calling him a drug? :lol: Special K is a nickname for Ketamine :lol:
68.2353°N 14.5636°E is where it happens!
JJakobsen
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Sport Average: 180
Positive Axis Point: 3 1/2 right, 1 1/2 up
Speed: 15.5 downlane
Rev Rate: 450
Axis Tilt: 0
Axis Rotation: 30
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Marvel Pearl
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick Inferno
Light Oil Ball: Storm Timeless
Preferred Company: 900 Global

Post by JJakobsen »

56bird wrote:Sorry but IMO this whole idea "average doesn't matter" is the cry of someone who just isn't very good. I can relate to that, because, neither am I. It's a hobby, I'm not trying to make my living at this.

Bowling average is THE MAIN METRIC for bowling performance. That's it! There are no points for style. It's not "how", it's "how many".

I would argue that what a bowler does in pressure situations is a secondary intangible.

I ask you, does Walter Ray Williams Jr roll the ball correctly? Keep in mind he is the greatest bowler alive if not of all time.

The best bowlers are good at whatever it is they do and just know how to get the pins to fall for them. If you're standing there watching the best average bowler in the house thinking "well he hooked it at that 4-pin, he sucks..." He's leading the house, what else do you want from him???
Within certain limitations, as long as it is repeatable, and does not cause excessive strain, it doesn't matter how you play, (not how, but how many). Within certain limitations, I mean players like the two-handed leftie with a rightie followthrough, which is if coachable, it is just barely so. Something that someone can work with with you to improve your game, is repeatable, and doesn't cause strain, is good enough.
68.2353°N 14.5636°E is where it happens!
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

JJakobsen wrote: Why are you calling him a drug? :lol: Special K is a nickname for Ketamine :lol:
A co-worker of mine named Kevin and I became friends and workout buddies.
I used to call him Special K.
Just a nickname, though he was quite an exceptional person.
He used to refer to me as The Gazelle. What's in a name ;)

There is a breakfast cereal called Special K.

It's a catchy name (to me)

Take care
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Certainly average matters in a relative manner.
Batters hit more home runs in some stadiums than others.
Cream tends to rise to the top.

To krava, "The guy in Az" is established PBA member who's made tv shows, he also bowls in tournaments around the world. He's quite a gentleman, polite, great sense of humor ...

Cheers

John
imagonman
Preferred Company: Brunswick

Post by imagonman »

imagonman wrote:
So now krava you are analyzing yourself yet again. Sorry I see no progress here to speak of, truly. Same ole same ole, little has changed. I have to ask. What is the purpose of you wanting to change? {end goal/objective?}

Foul line drill - 1st 7 mins = waste of time -done all wrong. What/ Did you think about the hand & armswing only after doing it wrong for 7 mins? You need a HANDS ON instructor right there w/ you that KNOWS what the goal of these drills are. This internet video crap is not working. You need realtime coaching. This isn't working, only creating more confusion for Dan.

Seriously, since you can't seem to execute the drills or armswing, release , follow-through positions.
Addendum: You NEED to listen to JIM period!
What I mean is , you have been given specific instructions about how to execute these drills, their purpose etc. by JIM. Yet what I see in both of these posted videos is you trying to THROW the ball & 'make it' react/do something. i.e.- force it! That is not what these drills are intended to accomplish! Let's take the follow thru- yours ends up in your normal full approach/I'm bowling position. The follow thru for these drills should be NOWHERE near that length, UNLESS you're trying to force/throw the ball. Which you evidently are. Do I need to say it 1 more time??? Guess so...…...

Again, Listen to JIM period!!!!

Why are you continuing to add only confusion to your game? Why not just hone what you already have & as kajmk says be the best YOU that you can be. It's not like you're just a 150 avg bowler or something that needs a serious overhaul of the game top to bottom. You carry what a 210 or so? Work on what you have & making that the best IT can be instead of screwing up what you already have. The changes you WANT & the speed of trying to accomplish them on the fast track ain't workin'!! I just don't get/see it!

Your repost over on the 'Krava's path to Success commentary' thread is much better than the 2 here. Except that you're still trying to throw the ball, as JIM said there. So you can do it.
AGAIN 1 last time...……..
Listen to JIM period! Do not add to or take away anything that he tells you. TRUST HIM!!![/b]
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

krava, invite those other Coachs you referenced to join the forum. It would be interesting to hear their input. Did they use video, sit down with you and review the video?

I've often admitted my lack of athletic skill. We are all limited. I never achieved my limited potential because I was my own worst enemy, not because I need not receive expert advice, because I never truly committed. Call it ego, call it pig headedness.
You are a young man, hopefully with many happy years ahead of you.
Most PBA fans would immediately know most of the Coachs I've worked with. One mistake I never made was seeking help from more than one at a time, that is at the least disrespectful.

What I think does not matter, just trying to keep others from making my mistakes.

John
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

krava, "That guy in Az" is in this video.
Stu, has a follow through that makes him easy to spot from a distance.

Stuart Williams, from Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, England, is a British Ten-pin bowler. He is one of the most active tour players in the sport. He is known to his followers by the nickname "Beef Stu". While in England, Williams, along with store owner and father Dave, ran a Ten-pin Bowling Pro-Shop at Chester Megabowl called MCS Bowling[1]. Williams now resides in Phoenix, Arizona, USA.

[youtube][/youtube]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuart_Williams_(ten-pin_bowling" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Cheerio.

John