Using a 15 and a 16 pound ball in the same game?

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

markkuhn

Using a 15 and a 16 pound ball in the same game?

Post by markkuhn »

Has anyone used a 15 and a 16 pound ball during the same game?
Would it screw up my timing if I did that?
I have an old 16 pound Faball Blue Hammer I'm considering bringing out of retirement, but my newer reactive balls are 15 pounds.
RobMautner
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Preferred Company: No Preference

Re: Using a 15 and a 16 pound ball in the same game?

Post by RobMautner »

One of the very few things upon which coaches and PSO's agree is that using balls of different weights is a really bad idea for the very reason you state: it can really mess with your timing.
Dax
THS Average: 230

Post by Dax »

I do it all the time.

A none issue for me. I barely notice the difference.

At times, I have even done it with good success. About a year or two ago - I shot a 300 game with that combo (house shot)

On one lane - I was using 15 lb Storm Lock. One the other lane (even) was using a 16 lb Virtual Gravity. The lane I used the VG on was going a bit too long with the Lock.

Actually as I think - CURRENTLY, I have 2 - 15 lbs ball and 2 -16 lbs ball in my bag that I used for league last week.

Top bag - a 15 lb Katana Slash and the said 15 lb Lock from above.

Bottom bag a 16 lb Virtual Gravity and 16 lb 3 D Maxx Offset from Hammer (1998). Big core, High Intermediate Diff from when Mo was at Hammer.

For the 10 pin, I usually stick to 1 weight. I use 15 lb mix currently (I find the 10 pin is a more finely tuned shot that needs cadence - as Rob mentioned above)
"You see only what you look for; you recognize only what you know"

There are many worlds out there. Some of them can be accessed through reading. Encourage reading - T.A. Sankar

http://www.tasankar.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Post by krava »

My spare ball is 15lbs and my others are 16. hard for me to tell the difference in the weight.
markkuhn

Post by markkuhn »

If the house I bowled at knew what an oil machine was I wouldn't need to do this. Their idea of a house shot is something that breaks down during the 6th frame of the first game.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

I've an erstwhile bowling buddy that has successfully used a different weight on each lane.
He is an above average bowler with innate skills. He never had the time to practice, bought his equipment second hand. He developed his own style and was and still is quite good.
Not because I think so, I once listened to some family and pros comment on his skill level.
Now back in the day, some would look at his deviation at see things to correct.
Tom Kouros likened the bowler's approach to an "equation", that might consist of positives and negatives. Skilled instructors know what to change and what not to change.
As wise folk have said, "the book" does not play the game.
As Juha said in the ETBF coaching video, bowling is a game of exceptions.
Not that he espouses deviation, just that he keeps his mind open.
Statistically, most humans most likely need to stay very close to standard methods.
All would benefit from good instruction "sine dubio".
Part of the innate talent of an athlete might be excellent preprioception.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
boomer
THS Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 6 3/16 x 1/2 up
Speed: 13.8 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 230
Preferred Company: Storm (it smells pretty)

Post by boomer »

RobMautner wrote:One of the very few things upon which coaches and PSO's agree is that using balls of different weights is a really bad idea for the very reason you state: it can really mess with your timing.
It can - if you're an old veteran who has a ton of muscle memory, then it may well not impact. My White-Dot (spare ball) is 15# while everything else is 16#. I just have to really focus on slowing THAT ball way down or I can end up chucking it at light-speed. LOL

But if you're not and you don't have that muscle memory, it's probably better to stick with as similar a weight as possible to take as many elements out of play until you get things sorted and "memorized", you know?

Remember, many things coaches teach are situational. You don't BOWL with your eyes closed, but it may be a good exercise to trust your ball and relax. You don't BOWL with a one-step approach, but it is a great exercise . . .
TheJesus
Speed: 17mph (foul line)
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12

Post by TheJesus »

I use 15p, but recently wanted to try a 16p ball. So far, i can tell the difference, but for me it's grip issue. The heavier ball, needs even better fitting (and general mechanics) or you start noticing things with how comfortable you grip the ball during the swing. Which then messes up you "auto" game. I do feel it makes the swing plane more stable though. If i solve the grip issues, i don't think it will be a burden for me.
Last edited by TheJesus on December 1st, 2018, 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my bowling related YouTube channel ! BOWLING XP ! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1cTYc ... Eynuk0qdIw :mrgreen:
Dax
THS Average: 230

Post by Dax »

If you are capable of changing your ball speed, I think you should be able to change your ball weight.

We make speed changes within games, between games even in a frame ( different speed for strike and spare shots) - so I don't think one should limit ones minds to not changing weight

A two pound weight change may be a bit drastic and I haven't done it since I don't own any 14 lbs bowling ball. My worry with a 14 lb ball is I might set it down pass the arrows :) ( being a pitcher in another sport)
"You see only what you look for; you recognize only what you know"

There are many worlds out there. Some of them can be accessed through reading. Encourage reading - T.A. Sankar

http://www.tasankar.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bluelobstor
THS Average: 208
Positive Axis Point: 6 1/4 over 0 up or down
Speed: 16.5 off hand
Rev Rate: 450
Axis Tilt: 10
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: AMF XS Technology
Medium Oil Ball: Track Paradox/AMF XS Technology
Light Oil Ball: Combat Tank
Preferred Company: All

Post by Bluelobstor »

Most of my balls are 15lb pounds but I recently got a 16lb Urethane that I use for spares and I can't tell the difference. However, I do not use my thumb but I do only use 1 hand.

Jason
PAP 6 1/4 over 0 up or down. Pap figured from the center of the bridge.
Rev Rate ~450
Speed 16.5 off the hand
Axis Tilt 10 Degrees
Axis Rotation 40-50 degrees
1 Hand 2 Finger Delivery
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

This completely through me off on monday. I have been using a 15lb ball for practice and drills for the past week or two. I grabbed my 16lb ball and threw it and liked the ball reaction so I kept using it. I through it for 8 frames. on the 7th and 8th frame, I cought myself "gripping the ball", my thumb coming out too late for some reason. I went to my 15lb ball, didn't have that issue and hit 10 X in a row. it was 4 x from 9th-10th frame, then 6 more on 2nd game. The 16lb ball didn't feel heavy or anything. it wasn't what I was used to using I guess. The 15lb felt so much better in the swing for some reason. So don't count out the 15lb ball. I take 1 bag with 15lb balls and another with 16lb balls with me when I go. usually only use 1 from each bag. spare is 15lb.

I posted before on this but when I posted I was "slinging the ball, forcing the ball etc."
stevespo
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 5.75" x + 3/8"
Speed: 17+ off hand (camera)
Rev Rate: 375
Heavy Oil Ball: Phaze II, Altered Reality
Medium Oil Ball: IQ Tour Nano, Zen, Phase III
Light Oil Ball: Electrify Pearl

Post by stevespo »

I've been going back and forth between 15 and 16, sometimes in the same game - no problems. Sometimes it's with a strike ball, occasionally it's an old rubber spare ball. I do tend to throw 20+ games a week, so perhaps muscle memory is helping me here.

I like the heavier ball as I feel like I do throw it a little softer. I thought the extra lb might help carry, but very hard to say.

The other night after league, I picked up a teammates new Match Up Black Pearl, put in my thumb slug and threw a few crushing strikes. It felt and rolled amazing off the hand, but something was different.

What's the weight of this ball? 14 lbs. Wow. With the ease at which it went through the pins, I'm wondering why I'm throwing anything heavier? It was just so easy off the hand.

Steve
16 mph (14-14.5 on monitor), 375 rpm, PAP 5 1/2 x 3/8 up, AT: 12*, AR: 45*
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

I can definitely notice 14lb ball. Most of my 15's are heavier 15's like 15.4oz etc. I don't notice a difference in the 'stance" with them.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

stevespo wrote:I've been going back and forth between 15 and 16, sometimes in the same game - no problems. Sometimes it's with a strike ball, occasionally it's an old rubber spare ball. I do tend to throw 20+ games a week, so perhaps muscle memory is helping me here.

I like the heavier ball as I feel like I do throw it a little softer. I thought the extra lb might help carry, but very hard to say.

The other night after league, I picked up a teammates new Match Up Black Pearl, put in my thumb slug and threw a few crushing strikes. It felt and rolled amazing off the hand, but something was different.

What's the weight of this ball? 14 lbs. Wow. With the ease at which it went through the pins, I'm wondering why I'm throwing anything heavier? It was just so easy off the hand.

Steve
I'm imagining it allowed you to roll the ball better, that is your rpm to speed to tilt to rotation combination. Back when I was trying to be a bowler, all my thumbless shots 1 or 2 handed hit the pins harder, as my release characteristics were better. I had to drop weight, but the ball hit harder. We are throwing at 34 pounds give or take.
Not that I was any good. Sort of like a broken watch, always threw 2 good shots a day! :oops: :lol:

[youtube][/youtube]

From our friend Ron Clifton.
Hope you and yours are well Ron.
WHAT WEIGHT BALL? COULD 14 LBS BE YOUR "SWEET WEIGHT"?
http://www.bowl4fun.com/ron/tip14.BTM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
PIJoe
THS Average: 219
Sport Average: 205
Positive Axis Point: 5-1/8" + 1/4"
Speed: 17 mph Foul/14.5 mph Pins
Rev Rate: 350
Heavy Oil Ball: Physix, Crux Prime, UFO, The Fix
Medium Oil Ball: Idol Pro, Idol Pearl, Phaze II Hustle Ink, Pro-Motion
Light Oil Ball: Wild Streak, Black Hammer, Purple Hammer
Preferred Company: Storm/Roto

Post by PIJoe »

Definitely the roll. I'm in the middle of moving down to 14 lbs. right now, and have never rolled the ball better or had better pin action.
Normal Release
PAP: 5-1/8" + 1/4"
RPM: 340
Axis Rotation: 45*
Axis Tilt: 12*
Speed: 17 mph at line

Crux Prime, Physix, UFO, Phaze II, Pro-Motion, Idol Pro, Idol Pearl, Wild Streak, Blackout Pearl, Blue Dot, The Fix, Katana