Very Odd Lane Effect and why did it happen?

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

2y2
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8 and 3/8 over
Speed: 17 mph
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 10º
Axis Rotation: 45º
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm CodeX
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick Python
Light Oil Ball: Pitch Blue
Preferred Company: None

Re: Very Odd Lane Effect and why did it happen?

Post by 2y2 »

boomer wrote: The magic angle is around 8 degrees. So - at 8 degrees, Belmo can "miss" a little either way and still get a strike. This isn't magic - it's due to plain old physics. Ball deflection and pin deflection at that angle means more mixing up of the pins and more drive through the pins.
I don't believe this to be true, the effective entry angle is between 2.5 and 6 degrees, outside of this range you lose forgiveness. Extreme angles are not always a good thing for forgiveness, and ball deflection is more a matter of axis tilt and rotation than entry angle. A ball has to lose rotation but not all tilt in order to hit strong.
If you think I helped, please click on the "+" button, Thanks.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

More on angle of entry ...

Here is material from the wiki
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... remmel.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A short video about some testing done by USBC
[youtube][/youtube]

See the reply and link from purduepaul
Pocket Entry - Ball weight vs speed vs angle
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1529&p=12078&hilit=Entry#p12078" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
Nord
THS Average: 180
Speed: 12-14 mph at Foul Line
Rev Rate: 120
Axis Tilt: 0
Axis Rotation: 90
Heavy Oil Ball: Visionary Midnight Scorcher Particle Urethane
Medium Oil Ball: DV8 Poison
Light Oil Ball: Brunswick True Motion

Post by Nord »

kajmk wrote:More on angle of entry ...

Here is material from the wiki
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... remmel.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A short video about some testing done by USBC
[youtube][/youtube]

See the reply and link from purduepaul
Pocket Entry - Ball weight vs speed vs angle
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1529&p=12078&hilit=Entry#p12078" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The video seems confusing because they concluded entry angle was not a factor, all that mattered was hitting the pocket at the 17.5 board. If you could do that consistently, then your chances of striking, or getting 9, were the best regardless of what entry angle led to that 17.5 hit. So what are we supposed to think about that?
Full Roller
PAP: 6 3/16 x 2 5/8
Rev rate: 145
Ball speed: 13 mph at launch
Composite Average: 180
High Game: 269 bowled with Pitch Black.
High Series: 683 clean using the DV8 Poison Solid.
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

Nord wrote:
The video seems confusing because they concluded entry angle was not a factor, all that mattered was hitting the pocket at the 17.5 board. If you could do that consistently, then your chances of striking, or getting 9, were the best regardless of what entry angle led to that 17.5 hit. So what are we supposed to think about that?
To fully understand what they are talking about, you need to read the usbc pin carry study.

The video is just telling part of it, the part about where hitting the 17.5 board is where you get the most strikes and nines compared to other boards.

They said regardless of entry angle because they were not breaking the hits on that board down by which entry angle on that board was the best yet, It wasnt that they conluded entry angle wasnt a factor.

In the study once they determined that the 17.5 board had the highest percentage of strikes and nines, then they break that down by which entry angle hitting that board had the highest percentage.

Which was a six degree entry angle at the time, that gave the highest percentage.
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
TomaHawk
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by TomaHawk »

The 17.5 board is, always has been, the ideal position for ball placement at the pins in relation to maximum pin carry. The degree or angle in which the ball gets to the 17.5 board can vary significantly. In order to knock down ten pins effectively, the kinetic energy that is transferred from the ball to the pins would be the largest contributing factor. Lesser angles of entry require a larger amount of energy transfer, while larger angles require lesser amounts of transferable energy. Mass, co-efficient of friction, co-efficient of restitution, and speed also factor into the equation.

For the most part, higher speed, higher rev players, Belmonte types, require less angle at the pocket. Guys like Duke with lower speed, lower rev rates prefer wider angles. That is a loose example because Belmonte and Duke are quality players. Both have the ability to play various parts of the lane by changing speed and release mechanisms to combat less than ideal lane conditions.
boomer
THS Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 6 3/16 x 1/2 up
Speed: 13.8 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 230
Preferred Company: Storm (it smells pretty)

Post by boomer »

As I mentioned in my reply, it's an "all things being equal" kind of analysis.

If you JUST look at angle of entry, at the 17.5 board; or IF you JUST look at the board of entry; or IF you just look at ballspeed at entry.

And, sorry, I went high with my angle number. I guess it should be between 4-6, but I've heard a lot of talk and read quite a few articles talking about 6-8.

The point remains - if you can get buried in that angle-range, you have more tolerance for mistake. That was the point.

Same thing with entry point. If you get right on 17.5 at 60', you have wiggle room with regard to angle and speed.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

boomer wrote:As I mentioned in my reply, it's an "all things being equal" kind of analysis.

If you JUST look at angle of entry, at the 17.5 board; or IF you JUST look at the board of entry; or IF you just look at ballspeed at entry.

And, sorry, I went high with my angle number. I guess it should be between 4-6, but I've heard a lot of talk and read quite a few articles talking about 6-8.

The point remains - if you can get buried in that angle-range, you have more tolerance for mistake. That was the point.

Same thing with entry point. If you get right on 17.5 at 60', you have wiggle room with regard to angle and speed.
The operative word is optimum.
Years ago during the stepladder tv finals the commentator mentioned that Ameleto Monaceli had been intentionally using an extreme angle coupled with a rollout shot.
That was his PLAN of attack.
A ball entering the pocket needs to split the second pocket, the 5-9 for rhb, to have a better chance for optimum pin collisions. By optimum I mean a 10 in the pit shot, no messengers, no kickback or curtain help.
A skilled and observant bowler takes note of what type of pocket hits a land favors.
In the physical world of 3 dimensions plays by its own rules.
Keep in mind that the lane condition dictates what angles you will be able to play.
Sometimes it's a shallow angle and that will tend to keep scores lower.
Dick Weber wrote a book and in it he subdivided the pocket
See post #9 for his diagram

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10103&p=78499&hilit=Weber#p78499" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

John
boomer
THS Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 6 3/16 x 1/2 up
Speed: 13.8 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 230
Preferred Company: Storm (it smells pretty)

Post by boomer »

kajmk wrote:

The operative word is optimum.
Years ago during the stepladder tv finals the commentator mentioned that Ameleto Monaceli had been intentionally using an extreme angle coupled with a rollout shot.
That was his PLAN of attack.
A ball entering the pocket needs to split the second pocket, the 5-9 for rhb, to have a better chance for optimum pin collisions. By optimum I mean a 10 in the pit shot, no messengers, no kickback or curtain help.
A skilled and observant bowler takes note of what type of pocket hits a land favors.
In the physical world of 3 dimensions plays by its own rules.
Keep in mind that the lane condition dictates what angles you will be able to play.
Sometimes it's a shallow angle and that will tend to keep scores lower.
Dick Weber wrote a book and in it he subdivided the pocket
See post #9 for his diagram

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10103&p=78499&hilit=Weber#p78499" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Absolutely! Agreed to all of that.

I was ONLY giving input as to the question of why Belmo has a "larger pocket" - and was trying to simplify it a bit as well.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

boomer wrote:
Absolutely! Agreed to all of that.

I was ONLY giving input as to the question of why Belmo has a "larger pocket" - and was trying to simplify it a bit as well.
Understood totally, not meant as a negative comment.

John
Nord

Post by Nord »

But I remember hearing or reading that it is impossible to create 6 degrees of entry angle in real life.
They said something like you would need to be in the next lane and roll across that lane to the pocket on the lane left of that lane to get 6 degrees.

If that is so, then what is the real maximum entry angle that a bowler can achieve in real life?
Full Roller
flibblesh
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by flibblesh »

Nord wrote:But I remember hearing or reading that it is impossible to create 6 degrees of entry angle in real life.
They said something like you would need to be in the next lane and roll across that lane to the pocket on the lane left of that lane to get 6 degrees.

If that is so, then what is the real maximum entry angle that a bowler can achieve in real life?
That's if you're bowling a 100% straight ball, this is why we hook the ball, to increase entry angle.
Steven Bourgaize

Rev Rate: Roughly 300
Ball Weight: 15lb
PAP: Smear
Span: Teeny
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

flibblesh wrote:
That's if you're bowling a 100% straight ball, this is why we hook the ball, to increase entry angle.
Exactly! Don Johnson stated that you would need to stand XXXXto the side of the head pin.
Actually Don Johnson said what the graphic Bowl1820 clearly illustrates. My error!. Constructing the triangle would yield the answer :oops:
I have his videos and book.
Eric (MegaMav) added Don's videos to the wiki.
A lot of the basic physics of the game are explained and illustrated.
The physics has not changed, just technique.
Don's video was a pure Gem. He was a gentleman and a true educator, probably a great friend to those who knew him. Don helped grow the sport, he taught bowler's and coaches.
Good man, sorry I never met him.
All this talk of angles reminds me of an article in one of the print versions of BTM, I believe it was called Slide ruler bowling ... or something like that.
There was another cogent article by BOB Summerville about Break Point bowling.
It had the excellent graphic of a view from the ceiling archer targets laid flat on a lane.
Many gems in BTM.
Not that it says anything about me, but having been an avid reader of BTM (when I tried bowling), coupled with Kouros and Ritger, I already knew 95% of the lessons in the USBC bronze and silver seminars. They have improved a lot.
What we do need is a system to groom instructors.
If I thought I had the eye, I'd have done it for free.
Speaking of Free, a never ending thanks to Jim Merrill who still plays very good for free.
He grows the sport!!!
Last edited by kajmk on September 16th, 2018, 1:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

John
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

Nord wrote:But I remember hearing or reading that it is impossible to create 6 degrees of entry angle in real life.
As flibblish said That's only if you're rolling a true straight ball. We hook the ball to achieve greater entry angles than can be achieved with a straight ball.

Here's what you'd have to do to get 6° with a straight ball.
straight ball 6 degree entry angle.jpg
Here's some entry angles represented on the lane. A 5° entry angle line hits the gutter at about the 43' mark
USBC Pin Carry Study_entry angles.jpg
The most entry angle a straight ball roller can get is about 1.5° of entry angle.

You should look at the pin carry study.
USBC Pin Carry Study.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nord

Post by Nord »

bowl1820 wrote: The most entry angle a straight ball roller can get is about 1.5° of entry angle.
But what kind of entry angle is a bowler producing with an initially straight up the boards shot that moves to the pocket?
Say a bowler rolls directly up 7 board and then the ball hooks into the pocket for a high flush hit.
What was the entry angle on average for such a shot?
Full Roller
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Nord wrote: But what kind of entry angle is a bowler producing with an initially straight up the boards shot that moves to the pocket?
Say a bowler rolls directly up 7 board and then the ball hooks into the pocket for a high flush hit.

I'm admittedly math challenged, so I will wait for insight from those who are not ad it's bound to be simpler than I think.
Given the variables it's not simply a matter of triangulation as the ball movement from right to left will almost always never be straight until it has lost axis rotation.
What distance range from the pocket can it leave the 7 board and hit the pocket (an it depends answer)?

I wanted to post Gurkov's article on the Kegel website for folks to read.

Entry Angle Assessment by Alexander Gurkov.

http://www.kegeltrainingcenter.com/ktc- ... assessment" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by kajmk on September 19th, 2018, 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

John
Nord

Post by Nord »

kajmk wrote:

I'm admittedly math challenged, so I will wait for insight from those who are not ad it's bound to be simpler than I think.
Given the variables it's not simply a matter of triangulation as the ball movement from right to left will almost always never be straight.
What distance range from the pocket can it leave the 7 board and hit the pocket (an it depends answer)?

I wanted to post Gurkov's article on the Kegel website for folks to read.

Entry Angle Assessment by Alexander Gurkov.

http://www.kegeltrainingcenter.com/ktc- ... assessment" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Based on the photo with the green laser, it does seem possible to roll a straight ball at the pocket with 5 degrees of entry angle.
You have to lay it down right at the corner of the lane, but it looks possible, but likely very, very hard to accomplish.
But this does hint that a ball rolling straight up the 5 board could get pretty far up the lane before it hooked to the pocket and get a pretty good entry angle.
5 Degrees of Entry Angle.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Full Roller
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Nord, that is not the case. The picture should, but does not note the distance down the lane.
A clue is that dark board on the lane. It is one of the on lane range finders, looks like the second pair. That would place it around 42 feet.

" the first set are at 15 board and start at 34' and end at 37', you have 3' space then the next set is at the 10 board at 40' to 43'".

You can see them in Ray's video and he cites the locations

[youtube][/youtube]

John
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

Nord wrote: Say a bowler rolls directly up 7 board and then the ball hooks into the pocket for a high flush hit.
The entry angle would all depend on where the ball turned toward the pocket off the 7 board.

Example:
If a ball went straight down the 7 board and it suddenly changed direction at 40 feet and went straight to the pocket. It would have a entry angle of about 2.5°.

If a ball went straight down the 7 board and it suddenly changed direction at 50 feet and went straight to the pocket. It would have a entry angle of about 5°.
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

Nord wrote: Based on the photo with the green laser, it does seem possible to roll a straight ball at the pocket with 5 degrees of entry angle.

No you cant, That green laser light is not coming all the way back to the foul line , its dropping in the gutter at about 42' as kamjk pointed out

Yes you could get a ball on that green line but it has to have a hook to do it.
Nord

Post by Nord »

bowl1820 wrote:

No you cant, That green laser light is not coming all the way back to the foul line , its dropping in the gutter at about 42' as kamjk pointed out

Yes you could get a ball on that green line but it has to have a hook to do it.
The photo shows that the laser is actually all the way back to the foul line.
The laser does not show any hook, the ball goes straight to the pocket.
So it seems a straight shot can achieve that higher entry angle of 5 degrees.

The Ray Wong video posted above shows that a shot rolled straight up 10 board on a typical 40 foot house shot has a margin of error of 3 boards.
It can miss by half a board in and out by 3 boards and achieve an entry angle of between 4 and 6 degrees.
So in my case, if I went back to one of my urethane balls and rolled it right up 10 and it went straight till the end of the oil pattern at the range finders and then hooked to the pocket, that would be about 4 degrees of entry angle.
A very good angle of attack on the pocket.
That is the old way I bowled that was considered not good on house shots.

Am I reading the chart wrong? I have attached a pic of it.

Also the Ray Wong video shows a spare zone at the arrows left of center arrow.
I never roll a ball over in that area for any any shot, let alone a spare.
So I am not sure I buy into what Ray Wong is saying overall.

Entry Angle up around Second Arrow.png
Full Roller