Very Odd Lane Effect and why did it happen?

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Re: Very Odd Lane Effect and why did it happen?

Post by 44boyd »

And there it is, derailed again. Dude if you want to play straight with urethane then go knock yourself out. Go buy 5 purple urethanes and have them all prepped different so you can change balls instead of learning to bowl.

If you put your hand in the ball instead of pinching it and slinging it like a primate slings poo, you might have the ball speed/tilt/revs to be able to play a competitive straight line. But 10mph with no tilt and revs is not going to play straight for 90% of the environment out there.
Stacy
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

Nord wrote: The photo shows that the laser is actually all the way back to the foul line.
WRONG it doesn't, here is the side view of that same picture :
side view 5 degrees hits gutter.png
The 5° line hits the gutter at 42.6 feet, that's no where near the foul line.

Here is a chart posted on the same page showing Angle vs. distance for a line drawn from the gutter edge to the pocket. As you can see in this chart 5° hits the gutter long before it gets to the foul line. A 2° line doesn't even hit the foul line.
angle vs distance chart.png
Go back and look at the article and all the photos none show the laser going to the foul line.
Entry Angle Assessment
http://www.kegeltrainingcenter.com/ktc- ... assessment

The laser does not show any hook, the ball goes straight to the pocket.
I never said the laser had a hook! I said the ball has too hook.
So it seems a straight shot can achieve that higher entry angle of 5 degrees.
Yes if you stood a couple lanes over and lofted it over the tops of the other lanes and few gutters
The Ray Wong video posted above shows that a shot rolled straight up 10 board on a typical 40 foot house shot has a margin of error of 3 boards.
He didn't say roll the ball straight up 10. (You could) It just says the ball as to exit the pattern at that point.
It can miss by half a board in and out by 3 boards and achieve an entry angle of between 4 and 6 degrees.
Yes but the ball has to hook once it gets down the lane to head toward the pocket to get on that entry angle.
So in my case, if I went back to one of my urethane balls and rolled it right up 10 and it went straight till the end of the oil pattern at the range finders and then hooked to the pocket, that would be about 4 degrees of entry angle.
Sounds close, But it doesn't have to be Urethane.

And look your saying the ball has to hook to do it. So if the ball has to hook to hit 4° then it has to hook to hit 5° a straight ball by its self can't do it.

A very good angle of attack on the pocket.
That is the old way I bowled that was considered not good on house shots.
What was considered not good?
Am I reading the chart wrong? I have attached a pic of it.
Also the Ray Wong video shows a spare zone at the arrows left of center arrow.
I never roll a ball over in that area for any any shot, let alone a spare.
he's just showing the general areas used, The individual bowler has to tailor this to their game. As he said this is just a guide and should be used with a coach.

For a right hand bowler moving left and going cross alley at right side spares is common, so you would be closer to that left area for those spares. As for left side spares I've seen a lot of pros not going cross alley for left side spare and shooting in that left area. (I've been trying shooting more left side spares going down the left side for awhile now. Mainly on the sport league.)

So I am not sure I buy into what Ray Wong is saying overall.
Well Rays video is pretty spot on and compares well to similar info. But it's up to you the reader/viewer to decide. What works for you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
flibblesh
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by flibblesh »

Nord, you are starting to become the older Krava. You are being given advice and information about bowling, stop deciding that your own ideas are correct and arguing with the users with more expertise.
Steven Bourgaize

Rev Rate: Roughly 300
Ball Weight: 15lb
PAP: Smear
Span: Teeny
RobMautner
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Preferred Company: No Preference

Post by RobMautner »

flibblesh wrote:Nord, you are starting to become the older Krava. You are being given advice and information about bowling, stop deciding that your own ideas are correct and arguing with the users with more expertise.
The problem is that we are all letting him do it. He posts his nonsense, and many respond. It's like having a cold; there's really nothing we can do to make it go away, but ignore it for 10 days and it leaves all by itself!
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

RobMautner wrote:
The problem is that we are all letting him do it. He posts his nonsense, and many respond. It's like having a cold; there's really nothing we can do to make it go away, but ignore it for 10 days and it leaves all by itself!
Hmm, Nord seemed to me to be asking a lot of questions in an honest effort to learn and to understand. Perhaps just my opinion.
Words can help, words can hurt. It's far easier to hurt than to help (paraphrasing martial arts teacher)
Choose your words well.

Some folks have chosen to reply in an honest effort to help, teach, provide informational resources.
Asking questions is a good way to learn. Trying to earnestly teach and clarify often teaches the teacher and both the student and teacher grow, and so does society.
We can try to help or ignore, but we should never ever discourage or disparage the inquisitive mind.
I'm far far away from being an expert, but I am curious and it's my nature to try to help.

I Saw the video in the link below recently during the PBS newshour, it's an occasional feature.
Take a few minutes and watch it, complete text is also there.
The title is‘If you think you know everything, you can’t learn anything’

Excerpt from the short video below. This is from
Daniel Levitin is a musician, author, neuroscientist, and teacher. Every September, he tells his students something they would never expect, revealed in tonight's In My Humble Opinion.

I think that all of us are capable of this kind of critical thinking. Every 4-year-old asks a series of incessant why questions. We have this beaten out of us early on by worn-down parents and teachers. But this why mode is the key to critical thinking.

Think like a 4-year-old. Ask why and how. Ask them often

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/if-yo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... n-anything
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
RobMautner
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Preferred Company: No Preference

Post by RobMautner »

John: I would be the last to discourage an honest pursuit of knowledge. The problem with Nord is that he asks the same thing over, and over, and over again, as many have commented on in the past. At some point we must ask ourselves whether his motive is the pursuit of knowledge, or a simple need to gain recognition ala Krava.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

RobMautner wrote:John: I would be the last to discourage an honest pursuit of knowledge. The problem with Nord is that he asks the same thing over, and over, and over again, as many have commented on in the past. At some point we must ask ourselves whether his motive is the pursuit of knowledge, or a simple need to gain recognition ala Krava.
Hi Rob, I appreciate your reply and understand your point.
I respect your knowledge and experience as well as that of many others here.
We are lucky to have you.

You offered the strategy of ignoring as an option. That's seems like a good option.
Close to a do no harm approach.

Take care brother!

[youtube][/youtube]
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
Nord
THS Average: 180
Speed: 12-14 mph at Foul Line
Rev Rate: 120
Axis Tilt: 0
Axis Rotation: 90
Heavy Oil Ball: Visionary Midnight Scorcher Particle Urethane
Medium Oil Ball: DV8 Poison
Light Oil Ball: Brunswick True Motion

Post by Nord »

Thank you for explaining the laser photo, from the angle of that photo it seemed it was coming from the foul line, that is why I was confused.
But the side view shows it was cut off.

Entry angle has always been a confusing topic for me, but you guys have helped make it more clear to me.

This is what I got from your explanations, please correct me if I am wrong:

Pushing the ball further down the lane and further right before the ball moves to the pocket allows the ball to come into the pocket at a sharper angle.
A sharper angle into the pocket allows for more margin of error and higher carry percentage vs. a straighter shot with less entry angle.
This is why we want to hook the ball from the right to the left, to get more entry angle.
And this is also why you taught me to use resin balls and push them to the right so they can come back with more entry angle on the pocket.
Full Roller
Axis Rotation: 90
Axis Tilt: 0
PAP: 6 3/16 x 2 5/8
Rev rate: 145
Ball speed: 13 mph at launch
Composite Average: 180
High Game: 269 bowled with Pitch Black.
High Series: 683 clean using the DV8 Poison Solid.
boomer
THS Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 6 3/16 x 1/2 up
Speed: 13.8 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 230
Preferred Company: Storm (it smells pretty)

Post by boomer »

RobMautner wrote:
It's also not the first site he's done this on. The same exact questions, the same exact responses . . . it sounds more like he wants validation than instruction.