Kansas City bowling

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Mongo
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2" over, 1 1/2" up
Speed: 18 MPH
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 80
Preferred Company: DV8/Radical

Kansas City bowling

Post by Mongo »

Going to be in KC next month for a couple of weekends and wouldn't mind finding something to bowl in.

Anybody know of anything?
USBC Silver Certified Coach
JMerrell wrote:Mongo,
We need to work on getting that teddy bear body of yours more open throughout the approach.
DarkHorse

Re: Kansas City bowling

Post by DarkHorse »

Kansas or Missouri side?
I'm in Johnson County, KS, the SW portion of the metro area, so I know those houses better.

For Kansas - up north near the racetrack (Kansas City, KS) is KC Bowl. Last I went the scoring units were older, but I think they've been updated. Haven't bowled there much, but it has good space for seating.

Down by me there's a few options -
Olathe East lanes (Olathe, KS) is the most popular league house; in past years also the highest scoring but that's tapered off the couple seasons, likely because of 2-year-old lanes, and a new lane machine last season. Weirdest thing to me is carpet all the way to the approach, but a nice place overall. They hosted Doubles/Singles for the KS State Tournament earlier this year. Also known for having a jerk working the front counter, but it's just that 1 guy, so maybe you'll have better luck than me.

Park Lanes (Shawnee, KS) is known for having more oil. Pretty spacious, although the floors aren't always clean (popcorn and such after kids). Small screens for scoring, but overall it's a nice place. Never had an issue with staff.

Mission Bowl N Olathe (Olathe, KS) is a bit drier, and more cramped. And hot. One of the older houses - it's not dirty or dingy, just not as much open space. Newer pinsetters and scoring units, but lanes are old synthetics, and I always see early friction in league. BUT, they have 5 certified coaches on staff for the youth program (4 Bronze, 1 Silver I think), so you're likely to find some smart folks inside.

AMF College Lanes (Overland Park, KS) is a waste of money, and possibly your equipment. Don't bother.

I only know a few on the Missouri side (I'm sure there's more).

Ward Parkway (KC, MO) it's old, dirty, and dingy. I was last there several years ago, but I imagine they have the same scoring units from the late 80s/early 90s. Not the worst place (see above), but it's definitely a blast from the past.

AMF Pro Bowl Lanes (KC, MO) I've never been, but have heard it's very nice. 48 lanes, pretty sure that's the largest in the area. Stadium seating behind settee area. I've been told they used to hold PBA events, but not sure when.

Aaron's Family Fun Center (Belton, MO) the name is a bad start, but I've been told it's fine for bowling. They're the only place around I know of to host a regional PBA event, but it's not every year.

That's all I know of, besides the 2 Main Events in the area, which I wouldn't recommend.

BONUS: Total Bowling Gear (Overland Park, KS) It's a pro shop in a retail area. I'm in no way affiliated, but Jeff (owner) is a nice guy, and from what I've seen he's smarter than most in the area. It's not a bowling alley, but has a large inventory. Not sure if it's really the "largest in the world," but it's a good size.

Enjoy
Right Handed
Speed: 18 mph (foul line)
Rev Rate: ~350 rpm
Tilt: 10*
Rotation: 55*
PAP: 5 1/8" right, 1/2" up
Mongo
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2" over, 1 1/2" up
Speed: 18 MPH
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 80
Preferred Company: DV8/Radical

Re: Kansas City bowling

Post by Mongo »

Thanks for the heads up, I'm sure I'll hit a couple of those houses.

Are there any weekend tournaments/sweepers running in Sept? Closest thing I've seen is a mixed handicap doubles at Premier Bowl on the 23rd.
USBC Silver Certified Coach
JMerrell wrote:Mongo,
We need to work on getting that teddy bear body of yours more open throughout the approach.