2 handed drilling with thumbhole

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Jochemke

2 handed drilling with thumbhole

Post by Jochemke »

Hello,

I have been experimenting with 2 handed bowling since I have had an injury on my hand.
It starts to go the right way but I have seen some bowlers using their thumb even when they use a two handed style. I would like to give this a try to see if you can have more control with this.

I was wondering if anyone could help me find the drilling they use?

I found 2 main ways:

1) thumb hole around the regular placement and the same span
2) thumb hole more to the side of the ball

What do you guys think about the advantages/disadvantages of using your thumb? Which drilling/span/pitches would you recommend.
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Re: 2 handed drilling with thumbhole

Post by JMerrell »

Jochemke wrote:Hello,

I have been experimenting with 2 handed bowling since I have had an injury on my hand.
It starts to go the right way but I have seen some bowlers using their thumb even when they use a two handed style. I would like to give this a try to see if you can have more control with this.

I found 2 main ways:

What do you guys think about the advantages/disadvantages of using your thumb? Which drilling/span/pitches would you recommend.

The main advantage of NOT using your thumb is that there is never an issue of the thumb clearing the hole at the proper time.

Using your non-bowling hand properly and a swing that moves straight back and through to your intended target line is a must for accuracy.
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"
boomer
THS Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 6 3/16 x 1/2 up
Speed: 13.8 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 230
Preferred Company: Storm (it smells pretty)

Re: 2 handed drilling with thumbhole

Post by boomer »

Jochemke wrote:Hello,

I found 2 main ways:

Just as an FYI - remember that the thumbhole will have to be used, or not be there, when the new rules come into effect. If that doesn't bother you, that's cool. Just tossing it in for information. :)