Bowling in Denver

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

TexasThunder

Bowling in Denver

Post by TexasThunder »

Hello all, I just recently got back into bowling after a five year forced hiatus due to health issues. The issues have not gone away, but the doc doesn't want me just sitting at home on the couch anymore. About a month after I start back I get the news I have to move to Denver, CO from Dallas, TX.

I've been here almost a month and have bowled once at AMF Aurora. Decent center from what I could tell, though I don't care for wood approaches. What I would like to know is the following:

What are the better centers?
Who are the better Coaches?
Which proshops have the better reputations?
Are there any good annual tournaments for non scratch bowlers?

Thanks to anyone with any info.
ibuckley
THS Average: 217
Positive Axis Point: 4 5/16" right 1/2" up
Speed: 14.5-16.5 at the camera
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 55

Re: Bowling in Denver

Post by ibuckley »

Better centers depends on what you mean by that. AMF Aurora has some leagues with a lot of side action in the f/w/s season. I am assuming you are on the east side of town if that was your first stop. AMF Monaco just got new lanes and has a very well known PSO who is very motivated (Shawn Lee) and is on the east side. BZ Heather Ridge is a typical Brunswick house these days. Arapahoe is a good independent center. Every thing else would be closer to south central or the west side of town.

As for coaches, there are several highly respected coaches in the area. Shawn Lee is very good, Mike Dias is USBC Silver I believe and is very good. Not sure how much coaching she does in the Denver shop, but Tish Johnson is around a fair amount (other shop is in the Springs). There are other great coaches around town too, but most of them have day jobs.

There are quite a few really good PSO's all around town. Just about any center with leagues in it will have someone who knows what they are doing.

Denver has a great ABT branch. So that is available most weekends.

If you have more specifics for what you are looking for, I am willing to share what I know.